Continual "You Lost Network Connectivity" messages when it is OK

baz123baz123 Member Posts: 13
10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
I am continually getting "You Lost Network Connectivity" messages followed by a 'welcome' message - Why?

Suspect a DNS issue. Setup is Windows 10 pointing to Pi-Hole as DNS which (if not cached) then passes on to AdGuard which queries non-cached domains over DoH.
What domain does Fing use to check network connectivity?

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,365
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a screenshot from the desktop app to tell you how it check on internet connectivity...  they check a few web services external to you and if they get a hit it shows all is ok.  Anything that blocks that process is going to trigger an alert and I'm guessing one of your services is doing that against the initial check, relents and finally opens up connections at which point you get the welcome message.  

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • baz123baz123 Member Posts: 13
    What "ad-hoc connectivity check web services" does it use? If it is something blocked by Pi-Hole then this will be the reason. Can I turn this check off? I really do not need it.
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,365
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Robin , would you know which services it uses?

@baz123 , hopefully Robin from Fing can give the specifics. AFAIK, it can’t be turned off but if you know the specifics, perhaps you can open those via pi hole’s console.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Marc said:

if you know the specifics, perhaps you can open those via pi hole’s console.

I could but if they are in the blacklist, it will be for a reason.
    It seems that Fing must cycle through different services as I see a whole bunch of errors, then nothing for ages.
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,206
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Marc said:

@Robin , would you know which services it uses?

@baz123 , hopefully Robin from Fing can give the specifics. AFAIK, it can’t be turned off but if you know the specifics, perhaps you can open those via pi hole’s console.

Thanks Marc. Fing desktop uses Amazon web services servers. It may depend upon location but most important is the ports used by Fing products. You need to have ports 80, 443, 4443, 5671 open so the Fingbox, Fing desktop and Fing app can connect to the Fing Software servers. 

(If you are going to run a speed test, please also have ports 3001, 3002, and 3003 enabled also) 

• 80 (Internet Speed Test) 

• 443 (Fing Service and Software Updates) 

• 3001, 3002, 3003 (Internet Speed Test) 

• 4443 (Fing Service) 

• 5671 (Fing Diagnostics) 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Thanks Robin. If it was a port issue then I would expect it never to work. I'm behind a NAT so don't block outgoing ports.
    Does it use the same endpoint all the time? What port is used to check connectivity?
    admin
    baz123 said:
    Thanks Robin. If it was a port issue then I would expect it never to work. I'm behind a NAT so don't block outgoing ports.
    Does it use the same endpoint all the time? What port is used to check connectivity?
    The endpoints of Amazon may differ based on Availability Zones but the ports I mentioned will remain the same. If you are facing issues, then to help isolate the issue, please perform the following steps: 
    1. What is 'Home' healthcheck saying? if you can share a screenshot or even better a shared report, it would be very helpful. 

2. Share the output of commands: 'ipconfig' and 'route print' from command line 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Robin said:
    baz123 said:
    The endpoints of Amazon may differ based on Availability Zones but the ports I mentioned will remain the same. If you are facing issues, then to help isolate the issue, please perform the following steps: 
    1. What is 'Home' healthcheck saying? if you can share a screenshot or even better a shared report, it would be very helpful. 

2. Share the output of commands: 'ipconfig' and 'route print' from command line 

2. I'd rather not publish my public IP TBH.

I'll get a whole batch of warnings, then nothing for ages. they even appear during video calls that keep going with no issues.

admin
    Hi @baz123
    Can you DM me the log files and output of commands? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • CasualHockeyFanCasualHockeyFan Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Was this ever  resolved? My notification area is continually filled with this message which makes the notification USELESS. As others point out, I have a video session running and would therefore notice an outage, but I don't.
  • KenHKenH Member Posts: 4
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment Photogenic
    I was having this same issue. It went away when I removed a Hyper-V bridged virtual switch I had recently set up.
    Was this ever  resolved? My notification area is continually filled with this message which makes the notification USELESS. As others point out, I have a video session running and would therefore notice an outage, but I don't.
    No and I still get them. I'd closed Fing Desktop for a while.
    @Robin - what does the test actually do? How does it determine that it thinks there is a connectivity problem?
    I have noticed an issue with my ISP in that the speed test results I get are not consistent. I used to see a general variation of about 1-2Mbps, but now the range is 10-12Mbps. I run the test once per hour.

admin
    Hi @baz123
    The test run scans over various ports and network protocols and then check if the internet connection is stable, if the device goes to sleep and wifi is disconnected then till the device is sleeping then Fing can identify this as network connection lost and alert you. If the system is idle then wifi can disconnect for timebeing unless it is being actively and thus alert you as network connection lost.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Robin said:
    Hi @baz123
    The test run scans over various ports and network protocols and then check if the internet connection is stable, if the device goes to sleep and wifi is disconnected then till the device is sleeping then Fing can identify this as network connection lost and alert you. If the system is idle then wifi can disconnect for timebeing unless it is being actively and thus alert you as network connection lost.
    @Robin No it is a desktop via a wired connection into a Ubiquiti USG.

My question here, is around what scans are done that I could attempt to replicate and see exactly why, on occasions, your test says the connection is unstable.

The logs are pretty useless in this respect - WHY did it decide it was disconnected?

I have an open issue with BT about the variable throughput I see on speedtest and I wonder if this is related. The line etc is fine and I suspect an issue at the Exchange.

admin
    @baz123

when the Fing desktop is doing its normal health check while running in background every 5-20 mins, there are chances of unreliable DNS resolution by router and once it goes unstable then Fing desktop catches that and thus warns you. Once you refresh the scan then it is able to actively work and thus everything is normal on Fing desktop. 
    If you configure the router dns settings with 8.8.8.8 then you will find there will be no errors or alerts. DNS resolution going unreliable by router is common. 
    If the device is sleeping then it temporarily cuts off Wifi and when Fing desktop run the normal check then it can be picked up as network disconencted.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Robin said:
    @baz123

when the Fing desktop is doing its normal health check while running in background every 5-20 mins, there are chances of unreliable DNS resolution by router and once it goes unstable then Fing desktop catches that and thus warns you. Once you refresh the scan then it is able to actively work and thus everything is normal on Fing desktop. 
    If you configure the router dns settings with 8.8.8.8 then you will find there will be no errors or alerts. DNS resolution going unreliable by router is common. 
    If the device is sleeping then it temporarily cuts off Wifi and when Fing desktop run the normal check then it can be picked up as network disconencted.
    @robin Thanks for that.

I think this is highly unlikely to be the issue. I am working on the machine at the time and I run local DNS that falls back to cloudflare so do not use the router DNS.

As I have said before, I think a better log entry that tells the user *why* it thinks there is a disconnect would be useful.

What is the resolve time threshold?

admin
    Thanks @baz123
    We have tried to recreate the issue with changes to DNS settings and it resolved the issue. It may be the cloudfare you mentioned might be creating false-positive alerts.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)