Home Assistant and Fing - Access to local API

12346»

Comments

• virg1505
    virg1505 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Has anything come of getting API access to the data from our Fing boxes? I want to push alerts to Telegram
  • HappyChap
    HappyChap Member, Beta Tester Posts: 22
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Anniversary 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    Could we have an update/comment from the Fing admins on here about this?

It is the most popular feature request (over double the next most popular, which I believe you've already implemented - Fingbox/FingDesktop integration).

Where does this feature on your roadmap based on it's popularity with your users?

Thanks.
  • Maya
    Maya Member, Beta Tester Posts: 41
    5 Answers 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    The local API for fingbox was released guys, I'm actually using it for some time now...
  • JSchlackman
    JSchlackman Member Posts: 5
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    edited April 12, 2021 #155
    Maya said:
    The local API for fingbox was released guys, I'm actually using it for some time now...
    You sure about that? Because the Fing website says it is not available on Fingbox, only in the desktop app (and is a Premium only feature even on the app):

• Aziel
    Aziel Member, Beta Tester Posts: 13
    ✭✭

Fwiw, there is a new local api where if you pay fing for a premium subscription AND have another device pinging the fingbox, you can query all the devices connected/ disconnected.

But there is no free IFTTT where it'll send a POST to an arbitrary url when a device's state changes.

So your shopping list:

1. Premium subscription

2. A raspberry pie which you program to run on a loop requesting the current connection status, and pinging whatever IoT services you wanted to alert of changes. You know, exactly what fingbox was advertised to do for you so you didn't need to do this in the first place

attzonko
  • DarrenHill
    DarrenHill Member, Beta Tester Posts: 24
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    And given HA has device tracking built into it, a lot of the functionality already exists there anyway and for free.

Both Fing and IFTTT can go stick their money grab for our own data...
    TetragramattzonkojbabioBenH
  • Aziel
    Aziel Member, Beta Tester Posts: 13
    ✭✭

Yea, most modern routers have at least some version of device tracking built in these days. I just wanted a device to push info when certain devices joined. But I guess fing is just a useless piece of plastic these days.

TetragramattzonkoBenH
  • thurston
    thurston Member Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 30, 2021 #159
    So let me get this straight.  I bought a fingbox and have been running it for years while waiting patiently for an api, and now I have to pay to get that?  That is odd.
    attzonkoBumptronicmikimikeLiveMikeIdroyBenH
  • Keyth21
    Keyth21 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment

I would love if the fingbox fence could trigger my cameras to either start recording or logging alerts. I find it's more accurate than motion sensing due to shadows, or PIR sensors due to range. Maybe could work with some of the bigger name camera companies to implement.

• thefunkygibbon
    thefunkygibbon Member, Beta Tester Posts: 9
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    So can i or can i not access API on my Fingbox which I paid good money for?  Been waiting for ages to get access to API and now it seems that it is something i have to pay MONTHLY for to access a local device on my own network.   I'm getting fed up with all of the features I used getting put into 'premium'.  why should i pay a monthly fee to 'unlock' a feature.   Absolute shark practice business model.  
    IdroyBenH
  • Vicentejunior
    Vicentejunior Curvelo-MGMember Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    Obrigado pela dicas