Fing desktop trouble

System
System Administrator Posts: 83
10 Comments Photogenic
admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Fingbox & Fing Desktop integration.

Comments

• ABthree
    ABthree Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    Is anyone else having trouble with Fing Desktop and its lousy integration with the app?  :s
    Wayne2
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @ABthree
    Can you clarify what kind of trouble are you facing with Fing desktop so I can guide you? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • ABthree

Thanks, @Robin. I'll put together an organized list of the issues I've been having, and post it here today.

dfinlay
  • dfinlay
    dfinlay Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    ABthree said:

Thanks, @Robin. I'll put together an organized list of the issues I've been having, and post it here today.

You're going to be my hero.
    ABthree
  • ABthree
    @Robin

Fing Desktop Problems – 04/09/21

To make sure that I cover all issues in an organized way, I’ll give a network overview, then list what appear to be (1.) Desktop-specific problems, (2.) Desktop-WiFi Extender problems; (3.) Desktop-App problems.  I have assumed that the “Fing Desktop” on my computer and the “Fing Desktop” on my phone app as the same thing, but in preparing these questions, I begin to think that they may be two different things with, confusingly, the same name.

Overview

I live in Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil, a modern city of over 2 million people that is nevertheless isolated in the middle of the rainforest, with no land connection to the rest of the country.  We have good broadband, but thanks to our isolation, it is somewhat less stable than people in Europe or North America, or in other major Brazilian cities for that matter, are accustomed to.  Building construction here is almost entirely masonry, which does not pass wifi signals well.  To solve this problem, we have a network of two (soon to be three) TP-Link TL-WPA4220 Powerline Extenders, that bring Ethernet and/or wifi to every room.  They are all cloned to our router – same SSID and password – so should present to Fing as one network.  I run Fing Desktop on my desktop, laptop, and tablet, but usually only on one device at a time.  It’s only running when one of those devices is turned on, so never overnight.  If it matters, I've been a Premium subscriber since November 2020.

1. Desktop-specific problems

·         Overabundance of warnings – I get the same warnings every time I bring Fing Desktop up, and they often repeat during the session.  I have to identify my network type every time:  the program obviously doesn’t record or recognize it.

·         Most warnings are wrong – there’s always a “DNS resolution is not working” message, which is obviously untrue. Amazon and Netflix are always identified as unreachable, but they’re always reachable.

·         The Desktop is oversensitive to ISP instability.  I can count on multiple messages that “Ethernet speed is not optimal”, usually when I don’t perceive a problem.  The speed is what it is there’s nothing I can do about it, and it’s generally satisfactory.

2. Desktop-WiFi Extender problems.

·         The app has no problem integrating and identifying everything on the network, but the Desktop can’t seem to do it.  Right this minute when I scan on the app, I see 16 devices online – the correct number.  On the Desktop, I see 14:  that’s useless to me, nothing but distracting noise.

3. Desktop-App problems

·         What IS the network being shown on the app as “Your Fing Desktop”? It’s not the network shown for my Fingbox, although the app can access that, and it’s not the network I see on the Desktop program on my computer, either.

·         “Your Fing Desktop” on the app seems to refresh sporadically, if at all.  Fingbox scan is fine, and the network shown on the Desktop program, while incomplete, at least refreshes on command.

• ABthree
    @Robin Five days, still no answer?  :)
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    @ABthree
    Apologies for the delay in response. I was on an annual holiday before. I am sending you a private mail to address this quickly and then once we reach resolution you can update the community post for other users. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • macaphile
    macaphile Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Second Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Hi, running Fing Desktop 2.6 on a Mac. The 2.6 version has a deep scan feature I enabled because I was curious as to what would be discovered. We have about 40 iOT devices online for home automation. I noticed later in the day yesterday that about 12 of them (a mix of them from various vendors) simultaneously and simply refused to respond despite running around and resetting them. Thinking back to what I may have done earlier in the day I turned to the Fing app to see if that would shed any light on the issue. Turns out it was working diligently still scanning my network. So I thought maybe it was polling the devices so much or generating so much traffic that some of the units could not get a word in edgewise so to say. So I shut Fing desktop completely down (including the background process). Yep, things began to show up almost immediately. The devices hit hardest were the ones that are Apple Homekit compatible.

Probably I'd be safe to run Fing again if I avoid turning on the deep discovery feature but thought I'd reach out to mention what happened. It absolutely was Fing and probably the deep scanning feature. We also have a FingBox we keep online and it operates well and appears to be pretty non-invasive.

I'm mentioning it just FYI. I'll hold off running the desktop app for a while just to be safe. That event wasted a bit of my time and it's on me that I turned on an experimental feature I suppose. If no one else has anything approaching the same issue I'll write it off as a glitch, reinitiate the Fing desktop app but no turn on the deeper scanning mode unless I have the time resources to monitor it carefully.

- JJ -