Outage - Server issue RESOLVED

Comments

• pl_svn
    pl_svn Member Posts: 6
    First Comment
    edited April 7
    One more FingBox just went offline because... I turned it off
    Tired of checking here so, once this issue is fixed, hope I'll get a notice by email instead of yet another "How Great We Are" newsletter
    If not... my FingBox will go straight to the bin
    DalekMoban121
  • ErnieBernie
    ErnieBernie SwedenMember Posts: 41
    10 Comments 5 Agrees Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭

Hi @Ciaran you mentioned a newsletter that was supposed to be send out last Friday by @AriannaRomano but I have not received anything sofar. Could you please check so all FB users who have no knowledge about this forum will get an update. Thanks

Dalek
  • KrB
    KrB Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭

A “Fing Community Digest” email was sent on Friday with the following:

——————————————————-

Fingbox connection update

We are aware a small number of Fingbox users are repeatedly losing connection to our servers. Check out more about this issue and how we are dealing with it. 

by Ciaran

——————————————————-

• ErnieBernie
    ErnieBernie SwedenMember Posts: 41
    10 Comments 5 Agrees Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭

Thanks @KrB for your mail. Sorry but I am not familiar with Fing Community Digest. I always get the Newsletter from Ariana. Shouldn’t that be enough? Why so many different Newsletters?

pl_svnhopkins35Dalek
  • hopkins35
    hopkins35 Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    edited April 7

Sorry but I am not familiar with Fing Community Digest

I've been using Fing for 3 years and likewise have never heard of the Community Digest

Until I pulled the plug 3 weeks ago:

ErnieBerniepl_svnOlivierGMoban121
  • KrB
    KrB Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭
    I’ve looked back over previous emails from Arianna from Fing and they fall into 2 titles-
    1) Fing News
    2) Fing Community Digest
    Within my account, there is just one option regarding Company Notifications, for a Weekly Newsletter.
    So I don’t know if both these titles are for the same Weekly Newsletter, or whether there is somewhere else to sign-up for the Fing Community Digest, and I just can’t find where it is.

• Robin
    Robin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,614
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    yuryk said:
    <\/p>

<\/p>Hi All,

I hope you all had a nice weekend\/easter. Just to update everyone, as Ciaran stated in his last response, our developers are continuing with that experimental method performing automation. We are retrieving as much information as possible to understand and find any new information. As soon as there is further progress on the same, we will update you directly. 
    Thanks for your patience.","bodyRaw":"

<\/p>

<\/p>Hi All,

I hope you all had a nice weekend\/easter.&nbsp;<\/span>Just to update everyone, as Ciaran stated in his last response, our developers are continuing with that&nbsp;experimental method performing automation. We are retrieving as much information as possible to understand and find any new information. As soon as there is further progress on the same, we will update you directly.&nbsp;
    Thanks for your patience.","format":"wysiwyg","dateInserted":"2021-04-06T14:21:46+00:00","insertUser":{"userID":21,"name":"Robin","url":"https:\/\/community.fing.com\/profile\/Robin","photoUrl":"https:\/\/us.v-cdn.net\/6031733\/uploads\/userpics\/022\/nHQS48ATSNJKZ.jpg","dateLastActive":"2021-04-07T15:40:30+00:00","label":"admin"},"displayOptions":{"showUserLabel":false,"showCompactUserInfo":true,"showDiscussionLink":false,"showPostLink":false,"showCategoryLink":false,"renderFullContent":false,"expandByDefault":false},"url":"https:\/\/community.fing.com\/discussion\/comment\/28068#Comment_28068","embedType":"quote"}"> https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/28068#Comment_28068

@Robin - I think the very least company can do is to give us daily (or even more frequent) updates until the issue is resolved.

Over the last few weeks, we have been providing updates as soon as we are progressing on the issue. Over the weekend the support team is not available and due to easter holiday on Monday, we couldn't update as well. You can rest assured that as soon as there is any development in this issue, we are keeping all users in the loop.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Schorsch64
  • Dalek
    Dalek Member Posts: 61
    25 Agrees 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭

@Ciaran @AriannaRomano in my post of April 2 I let you know that I have not received the “Community Digest Mailer” referenced in your April 1 post and asked 2 questions that have not been answered yet. There are now other Community members who say they have never received a Community Digest Mailer from Arianna. I appreciate how busy you must be, especially after a long weekend, reading and responding to posts here but I hope you will soon answer my questions and let me and others know who gets these Mailers from Arianna and how they are sent.

ErnieBernie
  • ThatPerson
    ThatPerson Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic
    Fingbox hasn't complained about being offline in over 50 hours now.  Perhaps there's been some progress?
    Schorsch64
  • SRP
    SRP LAMember Posts: 117
    100 Comments 25 Agrees 25 Likes 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    edited April 8

In the past week my Fingbox has been far more stable. I've had two blue light 5 minute disconnects but no cycling and one odd period of yellow flashing update signal with no firmware revision visible after the fact.

Apologies to those who are still experiencing major issues - I'm updating this thread for information purposes.

S.

• Ciaran
    Ciaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    @Dalek, any new member who joins the Fing Community should be automatically signed up for the Bi-weekly Community Digest (sent by our Marketing team) unless users opt out/unsubscribe. However, the fact that you and others have advised that they have not received the Community digest may indicate that the mailing list needs to be updated. We have communicated this with our Marketing team to look into. In the meantime, if you (and any other users who are not currently receiving the Community Digest, and want to) can Direct Message @Robin & I and we will get you manually put on the list to ensure you receive all future Community Digests. Please DM with your Name & E-mail address. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

KrBErnieBernieDalekABthree
  • ABthree
    ABthree Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic

I'm an early adopter - I just missed the crowdsourcing phase, but got my Fingbox just after - and I've never seen the Community Digest. I'll search the website for a way to sign up.

• Ciaran
    Ciaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @ABthree I can see that you have just joined the Fing Community on 19th March. If you send me a private DM with your name and e-mail and we will get the Marketing team to manually add you. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

ABthree
  • Dalek
    ✭✭✭

@Ciaran I have sent you a DM with my info so you can sign me up for the Community Digest Mailer.

I purchased my FB through the Indiegogo campaign in early 2017, received and activated it in late 2017. I was notified of the Fing Community by @VioletChepil in an email received on 2019-08-27. I started reading posts as a guest but didn’t become a member until June 2020 when I wanted to post something.

In all that time I have never received the Community Digest Mailer nor do I recall being asked to subscribe or opt out. My profile View mode shows nothing about mailing lists. In Edit mode all notification options are turned on.

If my situation is similar to others then there are likely many Community members who have not been automatically signed up for the Bi-weekly Community Digest.

I do get the “Fing News - What’s New on Fing” from @Arianna with the last one being received 2021-03-19. Ironically it had an article by Tommaso Latini titled “Customer Support for businesses” stressing its importance in retaining existing customers and attracting new customers. That subject has been flogged to death here so I’ll say no more about it.

I look forward to receiving upcoming Community Digest Mailers.

ABthreeThatPersonErnieBernie
  • ABthree
    @Ciaran I've sent you my info in a DM.  Thanks for your help!

@Dalek My last email from Arianna was on March 19, also.  It was layered with irony:  part of the message was that "Fing Desktop now worked with the Fing App" -- but Desktop has never worked well for me, as I've posted on a different thread, and just got worse with app integration.  Oddly, last year I suddenly started receiving Arianna's emails in Spanish as well; I'm American and live in Brazil, a Portuguese-speaking country, so that was sort of a double-fault.  ;)  It stopped when I reported it, though.

I ordered my Fingbox in October 2017, and set it up immediately on arrival, first in the United States, then in Brazil when I moved here.  I also lurked for a  long time, reading posts as a guest, until this problem made me want to join and post.
    Dalek
  • ThatPerson
    First Comment Photogenic
    Dalek said:

@Ciaran I have sent you a DM with my info so you can sign me up for the Community Digest Mailer.

I purchased my FB through the Indiegogo campaign in early 2017, received and activated it in late 2017. I was notified of the Fing Community by @VioletChepil in an email received on 2019-08-27. I started reading posts as a guest but didn’t become a member until June 2020 when I wanted to post something.

In all that time I have never received the Community Digest Mailer nor do I recall being asked to subscribe or opt out. My profile View mode shows nothing about mailing lists. In Edit mode all notification options are turned on.

If my situation is similar to others then there are likely many Community members who have not been automatically signed up for the Bi-weekly Community Digest.

I do get the “Fing News - What’s New on Fing” from @Arianna with the last one being received 2021-03-19. Ironically it had an article by Tommaso Latini titled “Customer Support for businesses” stressing its importance in retaining existing customers and attracting new customers. That subject has been flogged to death here so I’ll say no more about it.

I look forward to receiving upcoming Community Digest Mailers.

Likewise.  Bought my Fingbox on Jun. 20, 2017 & after Domotz's shipping notice, Fing sent an activation email on Sep. 22, 2017.  Since then Carlo, Violet, Michele & Arianna from Fing have sent email updates.  At the bottom of those emails is the usual "Unsubscribe" link but no link to any mailer preferences site which could be immensely useful.  At least a link to that from within our profiles here in the Community would assist when mass notifications are required.
    That said, I suppose in this situation it took a while with the technologic before the business logic could kick in.  I guess +3 years of free bandwidth / infrastructure costs factored into the initial price of the Fingbox is reasonable; only signed up for the Premium model this past February.  Then in March everything goes south?  Sigh.  Very bad timing.
    Dalek
  • Dalek
    ✭✭✭

@ABthree @ThatPerson Is it just coincidence that those of us who own the original FB v1 from 2017 are being affected more than FBs manufactured later? Have we been left behind in terms of upgrade/update? Is our OG FB hardware unable to operate at the same level as FB hardware recently manufactured?

@Ciaran is this something the Fing engineers have considered in their investigations?

ABthreeErnieBernie
  • ABthree
    @ThatPerson  Same here.  I signed on as a Premium subscriber last November, based on the same reasoning.  Now this. 

@Dalek I've had the same nagging question.
  • SRP
    ✭✭✭
    edited April 9

Typically I jinxed myself with my recent report of an improved experience. :)

In the last hour I've had a couple of disconnect notifications with the usual constant blue LED. At the current time the Fingbox reported network device map is some 58 minutes stale.

@Dalek & @ABthree I have a V2 Fingbox that all the problems have been occurring on.

Whilst typing this I also got a 10 second yellow update notification LED too and the network device list updated to a 10 mins stale state.

It appears to be attempting to catch up to a real time 'now' state and while doing this what's reported in the Fing app is a lagged server time snapshot from some time in the past.

ABthree
  • Dalek
    ✭✭✭

@SRP Well, I guess the fact that your FB v2 is on the roller coaster answers my questions about only FB v1’s being in the amusement park. @ABthree @ThatPerson It looks like we are all enjoying the same ride - NOT!

As I’ve said in the past, I will continue to keep my FB v1 disconnected until this is permanently resolved. I don’t want my Inbox to blow up with FB Alerts that are meaningless and quite frankly very annoying.

SRPABthree
  • AustinJerry
    AustinJerry Member Posts: 101
    25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    edited April 9
    Well, my FB now has a pulsing orange light signifying "Internet unreachable for more than 2 hours. "  However, the internet is completely functional.  I even ran a successful internet speed test from the Fing desktop app.  Obviously, the FB is in a confused state.

How long must we endure this disappointing level of service?
    Fingbox owner from the beginning
    ABthreeSRPcarolin
  • ABthree

Mine just stopped doing that, at 23:18 AST (GMT -4). Now, I see a rotating yellow light, supposedly meaning that an update is in progress. Anyone else seeing that?

carolin
  • SRP
    ✭✭✭
    edited April 9

Yes mine's been down for 2 hours 40 mins now and a number of times it's cycled to the yellow downloading state.

<Sigh>

ABthree
  • carolin
    carolin Member, Beta Tester Posts: 34
    25 Agrees 10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Same here, too...As I'm typing this, it is circling yellow, it was orange just a minute or two ago, prior to that, it was circling yellow...Been in that orange offline/yellow update loop for awhile this evening here in FL.  My internet has not been down at all, even when fing shows orange.  
    ABthree
  • ThatPerson
    First Comment Photogenic
    Yep, circling yellow here too but no notifications though my phone with the Fing app was powered down 5h ago.  Fingbox offline notification 3h ago, online again after 9m, then it was offline again since I don't know when & now it's pulsing orange.  Must look up these colour codes again.
    ABthree
  • MartynK
    MartynK Hong KongMember Posts: 51
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Mine has been cycling between upgrading and offline now every 30 mins or so for the last 3 hours. I am not getting any emails from anything saying its offline or has issues. Its just started flashing green again.
    ABthree
  • BitStorm
    BitStorm Member Posts: 6
    5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment
    @ciaran mine is circling flashing yellow then red... i have the fingbox 2.  what in the world is going on???  It's been having problems for months now, sometimes it goes back blue, then back to yellow and red...    o.O  
    ABthree
  • BitStorm
    I feel like im in a disco with all the changing colors man!  My fingbox is more unstable than charles manson on rollerskates.  It just went red again!  maybe fing servers again?  o.o    oOoOoOo  I kind of like it though...  reminds me of christmas...
    ABthree
  • BitStorm
    you know... maybe it's not fingbox at fault...  maybe it's the chinese using morse code?  or maybe the extraterrestrials are manipulating fiber with their psychic brain mind waves?  It is sort of hypnotizing...  very strange indeed.  i'm going to set a radio close to it and try to tune it to the fingbox circuitry to see if i can decode a hidden message.
    ABthree
  • SRP
    ✭✭✭
    edited April 9

I'm somewhat intrigued that the symptims are different in this down period albeit with the same net result. All notifications regarding my Fingbox state seem to be surpressed both in app and via email, and the appearance of the yellow flashing LED cycle is new this time. I'd love to hear from the Fing representatives if this is the anticipated failure state given the instrumentation company engineers installed.

carolinABthree
This discussion has been closed.