• MariusvamMariusvam Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
    First Anniversary Photogenic 5 Likes Founder
    ✭✭
    Outstanding!!!
    VioletChepil
  • JackJack Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    I am also keen to beta test this if possible when it comes out (Mac or PC) and would be even better if you could run it on Linux (RPi or docker on a NAS server etc)...
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jack that would be great! For now, the best thing to do is subscribe to alerts on this category:
    https://community.fing.com/categories/announcements
    (minimal information is posted and all beta announcements will go there along with version releases etc.)
    We may develop something more formal for beta testing in the future, but for now I'll be providing beta links in that category! 

Community Manager at Fing

✭✭✭
    Thanks @VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil on a side note - It would be nice (and possibly a GDPR requirement in Europe) to allow users to opt out (unfollow) directly via a link in the status emails  :)
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hmm yes I've investigated with the provider. @Jack
    Typically these alerts are considered as needed to run the service and so I'm thinking a link to account notification settings? 

✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil - Yes I think just due to the possible amount of emails that an option to receive a daily digest or something instead could be good instead of all the emails... Even better would be an app?
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Yes I agree. I'm looking into a daily digest option/opt-in for that. We'd need to configure something as this platform doesn't offer as a feature "out of box." But definitely a priority for me. @Jack

Jack
  • joltdudejoltdude Member, Beta Tester Posts: 30
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer
    ✭✭
    @VioletChepil Yeah a lack of daily digest is a little bit annoying.. though one trick i do recommend for folks on forums is filtering a particular forms email to its own folder....  
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jack and @joltdude I'm going to start up a poll on this and see who'd be interested. I'd need to build it manually through some semi automated workaround at first, but if it's of value I'd put in the work! Let's see how many others are interested :) 

Jack
    ✭✭✭
    Yea @joltdude the only issue for me is that I don't have all my folders synced to IMAP so once in a folder I can't get it on my phone.
    An app would be even better (even if it could work via an RSS type feed?)
    ✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil Yes I think it would be useful - I don't mind getting the emails for direct messages or when mentioned but when you get an email for every reply to every thread you have commented on it can get a little annoying.
    VioletChepiljoltdude
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil also just something I noticed. There is a slight bug in the iOS (Safari) version of this forum... 
    There is a duplicate "Quote" option. under every post 

VioletChepiljpartain89
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if there is a better "Bug" channel for things like this?
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Jack! Yes it's not just for you. @Pooh has also reported this too me. This is from the platform provider - I've flagged and am waiting for any update. For bugs on community, please post them in this category here "Welcome & Community feedback" so I can work with the provider to get fixed :)
    https://community.fing.com/categories/welcome
    Probably because our user base is so efficient with testing software we're submitting quite a few ^^ but I'm working through them the best I can with the provider. 

Jack
  • Patrice44Patrice44 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    Could you add me to the PC Version Beta tester list ?
    I will be also interested in an application running on a Synology Docker container.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Patrice44 welcome and nice to have you here! Best thing to do is follow this category for now: https://community.fing.com/categories/announcements
    I'm going to be posting updates about beta testing in that category! 

• Manny_CavalierManny_Cavalier Member, Beta Tester Posts: 18
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Good to hear that there is a roadmap for app and the box. For the longest time, I hope the issue with the hostname be finally addressed. I'm still frustrated that most of the hostnames I renamed keeps on going back to its original hostname.
    VioletChepil
  • DonAdamsDonAdams Member Posts: 7
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic Name Dropper
    @Gidster You guys have come a long way and you still keep going into the future making great improvements  and new features. Fing app is getting more use on my phone lately than social media (grin). Can't wait to see the new dashboard.
    VioletChepil
  • benabena Member, Beta Tester Posts: 18
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    Does the PC/Mac app have any crossover with ZenMap which might be rather a waste of time copying with fing
    but fing box on a bigger screen would be great
  • GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    bena said:
    Does the PC/Mac app have any crossover with ZenMap which might be rather a waste of time copying with fing
    but fing box on a bigger screen would be great
    The Fing app will benefit from Fing's unrivalled device recognition capabilities. So while other products - like those based on nmap - will reveal devices on the network, they won't be able to tell you exactly what they are to the degree we're able to
    Head of Product at Fing
    Marc
  • jpartain89jpartain89 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic First Comment
    So, I'm an old school fing user, aka been using the Desktop CLI since you could actually have THAT send info to the app.
    So, is that ever going to be something that comes back again?
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @jpartain89 thanks for your question. Those are legacy products and we have no plans for them but we are releasing Desktop versions of Fing App very soon for MAC/PC. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

• GeoffdGeoffd Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic

"Hidden gems and key data"..... next you will tell me you are going balance the budget, offer free healthcare to all, and end poverty.... sorry i dont shlop it up with the rest of the sheep.... tell me something useful..... please. I liked the idea of fing, but once it arrived i found out most of the features i wanted were only in the buisness beta which was no longer offered.... i understand the hesitation to blurt out a spoiler considering the major fail on delivery, but announcing something great is coming is just as useless.

VioletChepil
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Geoffd - the vast majority of us get great value out of the Fing app and associated Fingbox. I'm sorry you don't but please don't then assume that your personal experience applies to us all.

The rest of us here take the announcement for what it is. In addition it sounds like you purchased your Fingbox in the early Kickstarter days - when it's highly probable that not all promised features will be delivered. Now the Fingbox is more established it sounds like they've a far better idea on where they can take it,.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepileJony
  • eJonyeJony Member, Beta Tester Posts: 45
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Answer 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the right place to comment about the road map? I would be very interested in a fing app that could also run on a NAS. Sure, I have a PC and a Macbook. But, those devices are not "always on". My NAS is always on. Just a thought.
    JohnPeters
  • JohnPetersJohnPeters Member Posts: 4
    Founder First Comment Photogenic
    ✭✭

How do you see this. When your Fing App is installed on your NAS you need a webbrowser or App on your PC, Mac Book or Mobile to connect.

Please explain.

• eJonyeJony Member, Beta Tester Posts: 45
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Answer 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭

How do you see this. When your Fing App is installed on your NAS you need a webbrowser or App on your PC, Mac Book or Mobile?

Hi John, 
    Some features of Fing require a FingBox such as ISP performance monitoring or alerts for new devices connecting to the network. If a PC/Mac client is going to provide a more robust set of features and eliminate the need for a box, an "always on" platform would be needed (that is my speculation). I'm a happy FingBox customer today. But I would appreciate being able to retire the box and have the logic run on my NAS (which is already always on).
    thicandido