Is there a serious IT tech in here?

MOPMOP Member Posts: 3
First Comment Photogenic

Been fighting with hackers for three years now and I need a trustworthy guy or gal who knows how to fix my shit up and harden my topology plz.

Answers

• PopulaPopula Member Posts: 23
    5 Answers 10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited March 15

From the top of my head ..

1. Disable UPNP in your router;
    2. Manually assign IP-addresses to your devices;
    3. Register the MAC addresses of your devices in your router;
    4. MAC-block anything that is NOT one of those devices;
    5. Let FING block anything unknown;
    6. Many routers can do that as well;
    7. Check port forwarding and remove anything you do not recognise;
    8. Consider removing port forwarding at all;
    9. Regularly reset your external IP address;
    10. Use a trustworthy DDNS service;
    11. If your router supports it, use a VPN;
    12. HIDE your network SSIDs;
    13. Use strong passwords (password manager/generator) and WPA3 if your router supports that. Minimal WPA2;
    14. Fine-tune the transmission power, if your router supports that. Make it as low as possible. Your devices should still be able to pick it up. Check the speed penalty and increase power until comfortable;
    15. Use cable, where possible;
    16. Use a managed switch and protect the ports;
    17. etc...
    MarcShooterCZPattersonDavidPDX
  • PeterPPeterP Member, Beta Tester Posts: 61
    25 Agrees 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    edited March 16
    If you are only using your ISP's modem/router, get a real firewall router and put the ISP device in bridge mode. In other words, use it only as a modem. If it also provides WiFi access, disable that (bridge mode should do that), and get a separate WiFi access point and wire it directly to your new firewall router.  All of this will cost more up front, but it will be a much better and secure network. This setup gives you the flexibility to upgrade or replace these individual components in the future. Want to change ISPs (assuming you have a choice), you only need to change the modem.  Want to upgrade to a newer WiFi standard, replace the access point. Also, the recommendations in the previous post are things you can do in addition to the equipment changes.
    Shooter
  • MOPMOP Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic

How about a security expert such as a such as digital forensics I can trust? I have to prove a point.

• BarnabasDKBarnabasDK Member Posts: 6
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    MOP said:

Been fighting with hackers for three years now and I need a trustworthy guy or gal who knows how to fix my shit up and harden my topology plz.

Everybody has people trying to get into their home network. It is normal today. What exactly makes you conclude hackers have especially targeted you?

• MOPMOP Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic

I have had him chasing my account's for 4 years. I know it's him and just don't know how to remove him from all levels of my life.

He don't hide it from me as he uses references from my life in his hacking but not enough proof systematically to legally prove it and I. Desperate to lock his assets up asap.

Lost a business cause of him and I want to relaunch again.

• OlderTechieOlderTechie Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    If you have serious money (thousands) and serious issues you want a real company like Mandiant.  We 'serious IT' consider those people to be some of the best.  They are people with real skill to defend and detect, not a slick suite big-5 type or a sketchy guy in a back alley.
    Shooter
  • BarnabasDKBarnabasDK Member Posts: 6
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    MOP said:

I have had him chasing my account's for 4 years. I know it's him and just don't know how to remove him from all levels of my life.

He don't hide it from me as he uses references from my life in his hacking but not enough proof systematically to legally prove it and I. Desperate to lock his assets up asap.

MOP said:

Fing is about network security. How do you expect to solve this with network technology / security? 

It is a matter for the Police. 
  • ShooterShooter Member Posts: 77
    25 Agrees 25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer
    ✭✭✭

Fing is about network security. How do you expect to solve this with network technology / security? 

It is a matter for the Police. 
    Throughout most of the U.S., local police don't have the time or resources, no matter the scale. Even state police and the FBI's Cyber-Crime Task Force admit that their resources are already over-stretched. So unless a relatively significant financial theft has occurred, the chance of individuals receiving governmental assistance is slim, as cyber-crime units are rightfully focused on child predators, sex-trade abductions, and similar. Unfortunately, having to spend serious cash on industry experts is likely the best bet. 

I don't know how good they are, but here's a link to another option, https://comsecllc.com/. They have an online quote request form available. You can always check to see what the cost may be to get an idea. 

Being hacked is horrible, so I wish you the best and really hope you can get some resolution. 

• AnankeAnanke Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

We handle digital forensics, cyber security, and investigations. Feel free to contact our office tomorrow. (401) 331-2780

• MarcoNLMarcoNL NLMember Posts: 23
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    What sort of topology are you running (don't need any details) and how are you connected to the Net (FixedIP/DHCP/..) ?
    Did you scout for backdoors in your network, e.g. isn't there a computer infected with some kind of remote login?
    We monitor our routers 24/7 by logging anything that comes thru in both directions. It gives a clear view on where the traffic goes and if there is abnormal traffic going somewhere (local or WAN) and blocks any unexpected data burst. This is pretty high-level and costly stuff though. (Get experts in)
    Best option at this moment is to disconnect the infrastructure completely and do a clean-sweep on al attached devices, even camera's and TV's, if any. Remove and deny access to unprotected mobile devices and keep it that way.

Probably not neccesary to mention:
    Network security stands and falls with human behavior. It is well known that there is a serious risk in visiting specific types of websites and 'moving in specific environments'.
    Block all social accounts
    I think you've let it go too far, considering this is going on for 4 years already. Like The_Vorlon says, get the Police involved here. At this point, you are running out of options.