Doesn't work with Parallels VM on Mac

BobM
BobM Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
Any progress on getting Fing Desktop to work correctly when a VM is running on Macs?  Is there any way to specify that just the WiFi port needs to be monitored?  I've seen this mentioned for at least a few months, are we still waiting for developers or does someone have a workaround?  Thanks.
zegnas11mgillard1990

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,710
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @BobM, as you noted there have been a number of comments on Fing and how it interacts with parallels or Citrix VM’s.  @Robin, what is Fing’s official stance on this and is there a solution to the above issue?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    zegnas11
  • zegnas11
    zegnas11 Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments 5 Agrees Name Dropper Photogenic
    Upgraded to v2.5.0. Issue is still the same continued from v2.4.x.  Can't use Fing App on Mac OS when Parallels App is installed on the Mac. Fing App is default scanning Parallel's network interface (aka bridge100 on my Mac). IMHO, the default should be the parent Mac OS' network interface (en0). if I remove Parallel or shut it down, Fing app works fine. As requested previously by many users: Fing App to scan the host's (where the Fing App is installed under) network interface as a default... that would help a great deal. @Robin your thoughts on a solution for these Mac users? we have parallels installed on our Macs, we are not able to use the Fing app for several months. 
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,885
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @zegnas11
    I have raised this issue with the development team and as of now, there is no update for this. Currently, with VM there are compatibility issues but as soon as there is an update for a fix in the works, I will update everyone on the community. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    zegnas11
  • joltdude
    joltdude Member, Beta Tester Posts: 34
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Answer
    ✭✭
    2.5.1 resolves some issues with Fing, but not all of them..still works more often than previous versions and seems to not have login issues anymore... 

-J
  • joltdude
    joltdude Member, Beta Tester Posts: 34
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Answer
    ✭✭
    It seems that 2.5.1 has resolved most of the issues/all of the issues with having to repeatedly login to the app... although there is still some parallels issues, Not sure of what thread to put this in but I think this might be useful.. it seems to happen when Parellels is running... and there seems to be two different statuses that occur..

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,710
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @joltdude, there are still issues with Fing and virtualized environments.  I’m tagging @Robin from Fing to see if he wants to merge this into the thread where he was racking this.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    joltdude
  • BobM
    BobM Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Thanks for the responses.  For the record, 2.5.1 did not make a difference for me.  Hopefully developers will work this out soon.
  • codev3rt
    codev3rt Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited August 7, 2021 #9
    Version 2.6.0

Any new updates? It's been 5 months since the last post.
    Still getting false notifications/incorrect status while using Parallels.

I think the best way to FIX the problem is to ADD option to choose which interface we want to scan
    instead of scanning all at once which includes interfaces that are currently down that include Parallels.

Everything is perfectly fine until I start Parallels. Getting 2 additional interfaces that are obviously NOT
    in use at the moment but Fing things my Network is DOWN.

Please ADD the option to choose which Interface we want to use.

I hope there is an update, otherwise, I see no reason to pay for a subscription.
    It makes the app completely obsolete.

zegnas11
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,885
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    @codev3rt
    Regarding using Parallels with Fing desktop, there has been no new update but our team is aware of the issues and as soon as there is an update, I will communicate through community.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    zegnas11