How do y'all connect?

PoohPooh Member Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭✭
We all have different ways of getting our smartphones, tablets, IOTs and 'pooters online, so I just wondered what everyone uses to do that.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.

How do y'all connect? 39 votes

Regular WiFi Routers etc.
28%
VioletChepilCiaranRobinXenophodlimurkeithatpdakarthikkadambiTomscaveShuJamalvarnellWilliamHill 11 votes
Regular WiFi + Extenders, and/or extra Access Points
25%
GidsterevokKayJayfedeb000HronosArgent_99BobF4321MDavideRWildMinimart 10 votes
WiFi Mesh systems
20%
marco_from_fingCarlo_from_FingMarcSpeedfkltaylorPi_DDPoohrkf 8 votes
Other Prosumer equipment (e.g. Ubiquiti\Amplifi)
17%
JacktebashampwmeekMattmanatomicboyTrent161cjohlandt 7 votes
Professional appliances (e.g. Fortigate)
7%
RichCreedyTheCustomCavePeterP 3 votes
VioletChepilevokRobin

Comments

• PoohPooh Member Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WiFi Mesh systems
    I myself have a three Eero system - two are connected with a wired backhaul and the 3rd wirelessly.
    VioletChepil
  • HronosHronos Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    I use: My ISP router (just for the cable to convert into Ethernet), My Tenda Router (to make my local network), ethernet ports for some devices (like PCs an stuff) and the Wi-Fi of my router (dual band) and a TP-Link (just 2.4Ghz) access point, configured as an Extender/repeater for the mobility.  I want to try Mesh but it's kinda expensive just yet and the hardware is kinda rare in my zone...
    Keep looking up!
    PoohVioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 2,018 admin
    Regular WiFi Routers etc.
    Hey @Pooh moved this one over to Connectivity. Let me know what you think...

Community Manager at Fing

Poohpwmeek
  • MattmanMattman Member Posts: 20 ✭✭✭
    I recently installed an Amplifi Instant system at my duplex and have added one additional mesh point. My wireless speeds on both sides of the building have increased. I do have ethernet backhaul on all of the devices, so I believe that helps.
    VioletChepilPooh
  • PoohPooh Member Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WiFi Mesh systems
    Mattman said:
    I recently installed an Amplifi Instant system at my duplex and have added one additional mesh point. My wireless speeds on both sides of the building have increased. I do have ethernet backhaul on all of the devices, so I believe that helps.
    Yeah, I have a wired backhaul between two of the Eeros in my quad level - made a huge difference given that the main Eero is in the basement and the second one on the second level.
    VioletChepilMattman
  • RichCreedyRichCreedy Member Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    I use netgear prosafe equipment, but am thinking of swapping to ubiquti
    PoohVioletChepil
  • PeterPPeterP Member Posts: 8
    edited August 15
    Sonicwall TZ600 Firewall/Router & two Ubiquti Unify AC-Lite access points.
    PoohVioletChepil
  • pwmeekpwmeek Member Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    I had (and will set up again when we find a new house) wired Ethernet with 2 to 5 jacks in each room, a parallel wired network for video/audio distribution, plus a Luxul WiFi system with a controller and four APs. Currently, in a tiny apartment, using the cable provider's modem with built in WiFi (Comcast/Xfinity).
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    PoohVioletChepil
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    Ubiquity mesh wifi, and Ubiquity just released an update that allows VPN connection back to the mesh network.
    MattmanPoohVioletChepil
  • RPinIARPinIA Member Posts: 10
    I have a fiber connection to the ISP provided Calix router.  Connected to the router is a 16 port GB switch for various devices like garage door monitor, cameras, TV DVR, TP Powerline devices, a desktop computer and a Sonos sound system bridge.  A 2nd port is used for an Ethernet connected access point in the far corner of my basement for a temperature probe gateway connection.  The 3rd port is the Fing and the 4th port is my TP Link Mesh base unit.  It connects to 2 other stations.

On the wireless  and mesh side I connect Roku's on both smart and standard TV's, mobile phones, tablets, laptops, thermostat, Tablo TV DVR and light switches based on their location.  
    PoohVioletChepil
  • jw_nedjw_ned Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    AVM Fritz!Box 7530 router, two AVM Fritz!Box 4040 as wired AP, one AVM Fritz!Repeater 3000 as wireless AP; all operating in Mesh mode
    Regards, Jacco
    PoohVioletChepil
  • Pi_DDPi_DD Member Posts: 5
    edited August 23
    WiFi Mesh systems
    BT Wholehome mesh WiFi linked to BT Homehub Router with its WiFi off. 
    One weakness in this is that in the event of power failure the main mesh box sometimes recovers faster than the router, fails to find an internet connection and so WiFi fails. A problem if you are away and trying to reach devices on WiFi. However - fix coming up via an Ethernet managed power strip enabling remote re-boot of the main mesh box.
    PoohVioletChepil
  • RWildRWild Member Posts: 10
    I have two LANs and use the ISP-provided gateway/router and a Fingbox on on each. One LAN has two wired/wireless routers set up as APs while the other has only one such AP.
    PoohVioletChepil
  • TheCustomCaveTheCustomCave Member Posts: 47 ✭✭✭
    Ruckus and Meraki APs going into Meraki Security Appliance which picks up the Virgin Media fibre.
    Anything that can be hard wired in is hard wired in, anything else is on WiFi.
    PoohVioletChepil
  • MDavideMDavide Member Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
    Technicolor modem
    Apple Timecapsule as Router
    Fritzbox temporarily only as extender, when any of the previous two will die I’ll switch to a Fritz mesh network. 
    Davide
    PoohVioletChepil