Fingbox disconnects sporadically

Answers

• martenit
    martenit Member, Beta Tester Posts: 32
    10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic
    Changed power supply and network cable and it is still constantly disconnecting and re-connecting
    Prac2cul1
  • rooted
    rooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 893
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Robin Could you help diagnose this problem?

Robin_Ex_Fing
  • martenit
    What do you suggest I do to diagnose this issue
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    martenit said:
    What do you suggest I do to diagnose this issue
    While Fingbox is going offline and online, does the color of the LED on Fingbox change or remains constant? Have you tried to connect Fingbox to a different port on router? Can you check what is the network size set on your Fing app and if it matches the devices in your house or not? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,060
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin_Ex_Fing
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Marc
    I merged the two tickets so all information related to this can be in one place.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Edward_S said:

So I took it a step past what you suggested. I turned off notifications for the fing box yet some how im still getting offline/online app notifications.

Can you share the screenshot of those notifications? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • HaroldT1234
    HaroldT1234 Member Posts: 7
    Name Dropper First Comment

Hello - new to Fing and the device. Got it setup, working fine, then 10 minutes later I get an alert that the fingbox is offline. No network changes made. I see the device online from my EERO app, I see the device online in the Fing app as well, however it’s state is disconnected????? Seems like there’s some miscommunication going on or a bug. Not really sure what to do but if I can’t keep this stable for even 15 minutes I can’t really rely on this to protect my network and will have to return it. Any ideas?

• AustinJerry
    AustinJerry Member Posts: 105
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I received an alert earlier today that the Fingbox was offline.  However, upon inspection the LED light pattern was blue (indicating normal operation), and the box was actually online.  Several minutes later, I received a second alert stating that the Fingbox was back online.  So, an unexplainable anomaly, and unfortunately not the only anomaly I have experienced over the past several weeks.
    Fingbox owner from the beginning
    Prac2cul1
  • HaroldT1234

I set my settings to have the LED off - however - it’s white ever since the ‘disconnect’ occurred. Device is online, the Fing app identifies is as a fingbox and SUCCESSFULLY pings it from inside the app, but it’s disconnected... go figure.... not really a good start and really considering alternatives seeing as it only lasted 10’ish minutes before becoming disconnected. Reboots of the device and the network device it’s attached to have had no effect. Had high hopes, really disappointed with the hardware/software whatever the issue is

• martenit
    edited March 6, 2021 #42
    When the Fing Box reports on my phone that it has gone off-line, and I check it, all but on one occasion when it had gone white, indicating a reboot, the lights are correct (blue). 
    I have tried using a new CAT6 network cable and I have plugged it into a different port but the issue continues. 
    Interestingly, if I look at the app's log, it shows as per the attached image but if I use the web interface, the events are not listed in there. In fact, the web interface does not show any of the events for the Fing Box going off-line. Is one of the logs wrong? Which log does one believe?

The second image is from the web interface
    The interval between offline and online varies from immediately to several minutes.

(I erased the MAC address from the image for security reasons)

• AustinJerry
    AustinJerry Member Posts: 105
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I just received another alert that the Fingbox is offline, but LED's are blue.  Fing Desktop says the device is offline.  I sure wish I knew what was going on here.  Any comments, Fing Support?
    Fingbox owner from the beginning
    Prac2cul1SRP
  • SRP
    SRP LAMember Posts: 120
    100 Comments 25 Agrees 25 Likes 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭

This has been occurring now for the last couple of hours for me too. Fingbox regularly reporting status changes but blue light displayed consistently and device responds to ping plus network and internet all fully functional.

I'm beginning to suspect the issue lies with the Fing server backend at this point.

Is there a Fing up/down status URL anywhere?

• Shooter
    Shooter Member Posts: 81
    Second Anniversary 25 Agrees 25 Likes 10 Comments
    ✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2021 #45
    This is unbelievable! First it's the never ending server bullshit, now this!
    I'm getting a notification that my FingBox has been undiscoverable since Tuesday, as well constant online/offline notifications tonight.  I just noticed that the digital fence functionality is missing. And FingBox sees my Android tablet as the A.P., instead of my Arris modem/router through Xfinity. And I can't change it! Absolutely ridiculous! 
  • SRP
    SRP LAMember Posts: 120
    100 Comments 25 Agrees 25 Likes 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭

I'm experiencing weird behavior like that. Device details reverting to their default unedited state, mischaracterisation of my ISP etc. All of this leads me to the hypothesis the Fingbox is losing connection to the Fing backend. I've checked the ISP internet connectivity using a monitor-io and everything's been rock solid for the duration of this issue.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member, Beta Tester Posts: 18
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    I experience same problem. What happen to ring server?
  • Derek81
    Derek81 Member Posts: 0

Hi, I have been receiving frequent notifications today that my Fingbox is offline. What could be the reason, our internet connectivity seems functional watching Netflix for example without issues.

thanks

derek

• zork17
    zork17 Member Posts: 0
    First Anniversary Photogenic

Every few minutes I get a message that my Fingbox is offline (although network connectivity is ok for all other devices)

After 2 minutes I get a message that it is online again.

This repeats for a fee hours now.

I restarted the Fingbox but it didn’t help.

• HaroldT1234

Thanks for all the replies guys/gals m/whomever. Sounds like there is ALOT of BS going on then and I’m not alone. Which while it gives me comfort that my device itself isn’t faulty, it leaves me with no confidence in the company and its product.

have a good night everyone

• NightlyAlpha
    NightlyAlpha Member, Beta Tester Posts: 12
    10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic

Also having this issue.

Modem, router and fingbox all have restarted, but shouldn't be needed as everything else has just a nominal in and outgoing network connection.

• ianmoseley
    ianmoseley Member Posts: 2
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    I am getting the same issue.  Has happened over the last few days but significant number of occasions over the last night and into today.  Has happened now 27 times since yesterday.  My network is working fine throughout.  Is there a problem with the Fing server?
  • pcsasd
    pcsasd Member Posts: 21
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic
    Same here, I get repeated messages that Fingbox is off / on since yesterday
    Just now installed the latest update 2.5.1, let's see if that has solved it.
    The strange thins is,, in the Fing app it shows it is workng and online (even when I refresh), but the lights on finbox are orange and blinking.
  • pcsasd
    pcsasd Member Posts: 21
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic
    anyone knows a good alternative to the FingBox?
    mizu42
  • ianmoseley
    ianmoseley Member Posts: 2
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    My Fingbox does not go orange but stays blue.  Nonetheless, it show in the app as unreachable and I keep getting notifications that it is offliine, then online, etc.  Curious.  
    Prac2cul1
  • mizu42
    mizu42 Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment

Looks like they mess around with the server again.

I have the box since they came out with the box. And always had the immediate alert when an unknown device connects to network, what was the main reason to buy for me.

Now they killed the feature and moved it to paid subscription. WTF?

I am extremely annoyed by this policy. Moving features to paid subscription is betraying your early customers.

And since some week this server mess.

Sorry guys this way I definitely will not upgrade to paid subscription. Bring NEW features and don't kill what I already bought.

Sorry to see it going downhill.

Mike

Prac2cul1mju
  • Bzglwrtz
    Bzglwrtz Member Posts: 46
    10 Comments 5 Agrees 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Same problem here, for about 24 hours now.  Since it's affecting lots of users I'm guessing it's something to do with Fing's servers rather than something specific to one or two devices.  It's getting really annoying though because I get a phone alert every time it goes through another yo-yo cycle.
  • Bzglwrtz
    Bzglwrtz Member Posts: 46
    10 Comments 5 Agrees 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    pcsasd said:
    anyone knows a good alternative to the FingBox?

There are a few, but they're all subscription-based and cost more than the Fing one does :-(.
  • mizu42
    Photogenic First Comment

Same here, eventually I guess they managed to brick my fing box. No lights anymore. Was still on this morning and messages off connected /not connected coming every hour since 7 hours.

Now DEAD.

Can anybody help?

• rooted
    rooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 893
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the service having issues, it's nothing wrong with your device. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• mizu42
    Photogenic First Comment

Could it be that Fing tries to do firmware updates and finally managed to brick my box?

I had repeated messages of Fing box ONLINE then OFFLINE during the last 8 hours. Now since 30min lights off the box are off.

I have a very early one, bought just after they announced it.

Anybody any insights or same experience?

Thanks,

Mike