Hidden camera recon

MiloMilo Member Posts: 9
Founder Photogenic First Comment
✭✭
Read an article about using a Fing-like app when entering an Airbnb to see check for Wi-Fi connected devices, especially cameras.

Has anyone done this?
Found anything suspicious?
VioletChepilGidster

Comments

• SX86SX86 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment
    I do it all the time on public wi-fi in restaurants, but never in an AirBnB! Good idea...it would be more useful to run Fing on that type of network.
    VioletChepilAlberto_SHronos
  • BrotherDaveBrotherDave Member Posts: 4
    5 Likes First Comment Photogenic

I have used it to scan Airbnb and motels, haven’t found any in Airbnb, but I would definitely keep an eye on some motels, found one looking right into my room when our door was open.

Guess that is why we all use apps like this..

Thanks Fing

VioletChepilHronos
  • CJBCJB Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    First Anniversary Founder Photogenic First Comment
    ✭✭
    I used to do this more, but with the iOS update that restricts the Fing app, I have found it does not work as well and I have given up.
    VioletChepil
  • IITSIITS Member Posts: 6
    5 Likes Founder Photogenic First Comment
    ✭✭
    I often do this in areas that offer free wifi. It can be very interesting what they allow on their guest network. I was in a doctors office and found all of their printers as well as desktops are visible on their Guest network.... not what I would call the best practice for security imho.
    VioletChepil
  • GShlomi77GShlomi77 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Doesn’t Guest Isolation makes this scan ineffective?

Most routers I’ve used have this option for guest networks, and some even had it for the regular WIFI network

VioletChepil
  • SJ47SJ47 Member Posts: 11
    5 Likes Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    GShlomi77 said:

Most routers I’ve used have this option for guest networks, and some even had it for the regular WIFI network

It should, if the Guest network is implemented correctly in the WIFI router/access point. This is not always a guarantee.
    VioletChepil
    I've used the fing app on several hotel networks as a test, but I stopped doing that as it shows way too many things I'm not supposed to know and if you read the small print of many guest WiFis, you're not allowed to scan the network.
    In the end, it's the digital equivalent of snooping around in people's rooms. But I do understand the fear of "the hidden camera in the bathroom". On the other hand, if an (air)BnB/hotel/motel does this and people discover it, it's game, set and match for them.
    VioletChepil
  • JackJack Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    SJ47 said:
    GShlomi77 said:

It should, if the Guest network is implemented correctly in the WIFI router/access point. This is not always a guarantee.
    Quite often the devices are isolated so you cannot connect but will still show up in a scan due to ARP
    VioletChepil
  • MiloMilo Member Posts: 9
    Founder Photogenic First Comment
    ✭✭
    GShlomi77 said:

You're assuming that the average creep knows anything about router configurations.
    SJ47VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    My fingbox can see all devices even those on the segregated guest network but as its still the same subnet and all uses ARP it still works.

I have deliberately setup my home network with only 1 VLAN due to the limitation of fingbox being only able to scan one (and I don't fancy buying multiple Fingboxes - one for each VLAN). Perhaps with the Mac/Linux version (if/when it is released) then I will be able to setup the VLAN I would like. 
    VioletChepil
    Milo said:
    GShlomi77 said:

You're assuming that the average creep knows anything about router configurations.
    yeah, I know "assumption is the mother of all f***k-ups"  ;)
    VioletChepilkltaylor
  • BrotherDaveBrotherDave Member Posts: 4
    5 Likes First Comment Photogenic

not all motel network administrators know how to secure there networks..talking about your small town, ma pa motels

✌🏼

JackVioletChepil
    ✭✭✭

Yea I’m sure there are some dodgy staff and customers out there!

VioletChepil
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Rule #1 when staying in a hotel: never use the Free WiFi unless you're then using a non-splt tunnel VPN.

Hotel WiFi is like hotel bed covers and remote controks - rife with all manner of unpleasantries...

Anything you think you can do, others have already done worse...

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepilGidsterkltaylorHronos
  • LottieSnarkLottieSnark Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment

Can anyone tell me what to look for when it comes to hidden cameras.. I think my landlord's husband is stalking me. I am not terribly tech savvy but I am rattled!

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,294
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    @LottieSnark , if you have a fingbox, and assuming you do not share a network with your landlord, you could use the digital fence feature to look for new devices nearby.  The fing app is pretty good at identifying devices and what they are (Phone, router, camera, etc) so at minimum with the Fingbox out there scanning, you would know if there were any cameras nearby.  Keep in mind that if the camera is wired to the network and not wireless and your on a different network,  fingbox will not see it.  If you don't have a fing box, you would need to be on your landlords network for Fing to discover everything on the landlords network, including Cameras.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    LottieSnarkGidsterkltaylorHronos
  • LottieSnarkLottieSnark Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment

@Marc thank you so much... looks like there are no cameras which is a relief.. just have to deal with him personally!

GidsterMarc
  • GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    We also have an article on this in the Fing.com blog:
    https://www.fing.com/news/how-to-find-hidden-cameras-in-your-airbnb
    Head of Product at Fing
    kltaylor