Device appears offline, but I am using it to edit Fing

BlueMoon23
BlueMoon23 Member Posts: 4
First Comment Photogenic
Can anyone help with this? I have done a network scan and started editing my devices. The device I am using to edit (Huawei MediaPad M5) is clearly online, but Fing is reporting it as offline, despite me using this device to connect to Fing and do the editing. I have checked my router and the 2.5 and 5 Ghz settings are synchronised, so I don't think it is a separation issue. 

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,580
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @BlueMoon23, a clarifying question.  You are using the mobile app on an Android device?  Can you list versions of the app and OS you are using?  Thanks...

@Robin, can you help out?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin
  • BlueMoon23
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi, Thanks for the response, the Fing App is V 11.0.0, I am on the Huawei EMUI V9.1.0 Software. I have just had another check and the device is now showing online, but it does keep appearing offline when it is connected.
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,580
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have this issue with any other device on your network or just the tablet?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • BlueMoon23
    First Comment Photogenic
    Yes, I have have a smart home system with a couple of Amazon Fire tablets that are wall mounted, these appear to be not connected at times, but I can still access them and control my lights. I use a Hubitat Elevation so it is local control, so they are still talking to the network, if not the internet.
  • Robin
    Robin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,614
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Marc
    @BlueMoon23
    For Amazon Fire, I can say they do use Virtual MAC address sometimes or hide their own MAC address which could be the reason that it appears offline. The only thing that needs to be checked is if the devices are connected to same access point as the Fing app is scanning.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Helpless
    Helpless Member Posts: 6
    Photogenic First Comment

I had the same problem. Seems hackers had cloned the MAC addresses of my devices (including my Fingbox), so the connected devices were showing up in two networks. My and the hackers.

Fing needs to find away to randomize the Fingbox MAC address. Apple recognized that a lot of hackers were cloning MAC addresses — that was how they were gaining access to networks.

• BlueMoon23
    First Comment Photogenic
    I have just upgraded to Fing 2.5.1. I have done a network scan and this time my mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 10) appears offline. When I check on the phone, it shows that it is connected to Wi-Fi and gives me the same IP address (via a different app) that is showing as offline on Fing. What is the best way to check the access points on Fing, I have a mesh network? My PC is connected via the LAN (this is where I am currently scanning from), my phone is connected to Wi-Fi.
  • Robin
    Robin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,614
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    @bluemoon23
    Does all of your access points in your house have the same SSID name or different?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!