Anyone else seeing speed test on ISP going bad on Big Sur?

DirkDastardly
DirkDastardly Member Posts: 31
10 Comments Photogenic
edited December 8, 2020 in Fing Desktop discussions #1
ISP speed testing is currently a mess on Fing 2.3.1 using Big Sur.

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,721
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @DirkDastardly, I have moved this to the desktop area for relevance for you.  I can confirm that it's working fine for me in Big Sur, 11.0.1.  Mac mini 2018 vintage.  Can you screenshot what you're seeing??
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • DirkDastardly
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Thanks again for reponding Marc. How's Daphnee? :)
    Today, it seems fine. Last night it continued to hang, even after a Mac reboot (I'm using a mid 2020 Macbook Air). I'm also keeping the orignal DMG handy in case of a need to reinstall ;)
    Tom
    Marc
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The pooch is fine, thanks!  Respond back to this thread if you see the issue rear its head again.
  • DirkDastardly
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Thanks Marc, and I'll screen grab if it does.
    Am expecting an M1 Air soon (passing this one to my wife!). I'm assuming  Fing and will work using Rossetta 2.
    Cheers
    Tom
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If my Mac mini was not an Intel I7, I would be right behind you in getting an M1.  Maybe the next generation.
  • DirkDastardly
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Yep, i7 is a good chip. Looks like you have the same Mini as I. Mine is the centre of our home entertainment, connected to the TV and HiFi. iTunes for Music and Photos for family sharing. Almost all our TV is now streamed on-demand, and Safari does what it says on the tin. Oh, and now with a camera and microphone for Zoom. All in all childs play for the CPU, but it is lightning fast in moving between media. And it should last at least another 5 itterations of MacOS11. (sorry this aint a fing fing anymore, I'll stop :smiley: )
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Then of course if you wait till next year...  https://www.thurrott.com/apple/244867/apples-m-series-mac-roadmap-leaks
  • DirkDastardly
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Yep, the future looks Apple Silicon. Breathtaking speed of SoC development. Windows on Apple Silicon by 2022?
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2020 #10
    I looked at the surface x when it came out, ARM on windows etc.  I thought it was a great idea but Microsoft can’t seem to get the basics right.  32bit emulation only, slow, buggy in its first iteration etc..  Heck, they didn’t even have their own Office 365 ready for it.  Why??!!  So of course passed on it.

Apple comes out with Big Sur on ARM and it worked right out of the gate. Apple understands that if you get the experience right, all of it just falls into place.

As for Windows on Apple silicon, I don’t know.  MS doesn’t gain much from it, nor does Apple.  MS would be better served making sure their MAC apps are optimized for ARM natively, not via emulation, as we all know Apple will not support emulation indefinitely. 
  • DirkDastardly
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Hello again Marc. Well, got my M1 MacBook Air up and running. Fing is working really well and the hangups I had on my Intel have not occured. Hats of to Apple. It looks like a seamless change to new hardware. Bit of a Steve Jobs moment ;-)
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a good piece of info that Fing desktop works well in Rosetta.  How are you finding the general performance of the Air?
  • DirkDastardly
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I can't quite believe the performance so far. Everything is instant. It is shaming my iMac and Mac Mini! To early to reflect on battery life.
  • DirkDastardly
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Oy Vey. Fing turn out to be totally unstable on my Big Sur M1. Keeps blank screening and when I restr everything it can't report on my network connections :#
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not 100% surprised.  With an app like the desktop that's probably doing lots of low level calls and uses agents, there are bound to be problems.  Robin has a post for Big Sur issues, make sure you post to it on your issue.
  • DirkDastardly
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I'll try to summarise the problems (which manifest themselves randomly in different ways) and report. Meanwhile I'm very happy with Fing on my iPad Air. I only loaded Fing on my desktop as it was part of the package.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually like the desktop, though the mobile is way more convenient to fire up.  I'm waiting for the day that the desktop can also manage a Fingbox discovered network, then I'll be happy.
  • DirkDastardly
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Yep, I still prefer desk/laptop apps too. But Fing ain’t there yet  ;)
  • seanchiggins
    seanchiggins Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    I am seeing fingagent.bin use 100% from time to time on my M1. Once you force quit it, it seems to clear up the problem.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,885
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    edited December 21, 2020 #20
    I am seeing fingagent.bin use 100% from time to time on my M1. Once you force quit it, it seems to clear up the problem.
    If more CPU/GPU is being used then You can disable this utilization but maps won't be working on Fing desktop. To disable Hardware Acceleration, click on the Fing desktop version and then go to 'Preferences' and then 'Disable Hardware Acceleration' which will fix your issue. GPU is used seamlessly by our UI framework to render pages and graphics. 
    Tagging @Marc for your visibility for any high GPU/CPU usage on Fing desktop

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not seen this behavior on my i7 intel Mac. The behavior of the GPU on the M1 and the intel version might exhibit differently.  I will check it today and verify.  Another reason why emulation can be flaky versus native.  Something the Fing Dev’s need to consider for upcoming macOS versions as that will start to look programmatically more and more like the iOS versus then the intel.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of screenshots of memory and CPU...  Does not appear to be any better or worse than other running apps.

• DirkDastardly
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Hi again Marc! Hope Dapnee is well :D
    Installed 2.4.1 on my M1 Air. Seems pretty good so far.  Looks like the backroom bods have done some good work on it!
    Hope 2021 gets better for us all!
    Tom
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s good to hear.  Beside Fing, are you still liking the M1?
  • DirkDastardly
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Oh yes! I can now say that not only is the performance excellent, so is the battery life. I can work for a day without a recharge. And no App issues so far. Looks like they did their homework before going to market. I'm looking forward to a new iMac sometime this year. But on the down side, Fing is still not stable, it has cracked again!
  • DirkDastardly
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Looking pretty dead again :)

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigh...  I wonder why the intermittent issue.  It should either work or not, strange...  I'm waiting for an M2 Mac mini, then I might pull the trigger.  I'll use the current mini as a trade in..  Thats the good thing about apple, they do hold their value over time.
  • DirkDastardly
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Yep, I've used trade in a few times. You could get a few more dollars on e-bay, but it's not worth the hassle ;-)

• DirkDastardly
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Jeez! It transpires that Fing forces itself into my login items on my Mac when run. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! I determine when I run an App, not some third party. This is system invasion. Time to delete it and move on.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @DirkDastardly, You can turn that off.  No better or worse then other macos apps I’ve used.  Click the version on the bottom left.  Then preferences and tick off “Launch Fing At Boot”
    Robin_from_Fing
  • DirkDastardly
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Fairy nuff, but it does so by default without notification. It should be opting in, not opting out. It is invassive.