Authentication Failed! Try with another link or check your connection! in Windows 10 Build 2004

2»

Answers

• frank_frank_ Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    .... ahh, only a little difference starting desktop app after having it admitted in win firewall. Now it seems to try to pass the login using more time before being thrown out.

• DaveyboiDaveyboi Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic First Comment
    I haven't tried the desktop app just yet, but am still using the browser-based version. Maybe one of the developers can chime in on this question. Is the desktop app tied, in any way, to any browser on the computer and reading cookies or session information of any kind?  Also, I didn't see anyone mention the account that the fing service is running under. If you open the services console (winkey+r then type services.msc), you will see a list of the services running on your machine. What does it show for Log On As? It sounds like something isn't passing authentication correctly and setting a correct access token.  If the desktop app is tied to a browser and looking for cookies and items like that, you may need to clear the cookies and cache for any fing-related sites. 
    Pixel
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,301
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Daveyboi, I'm tagging @Robin from Fing to see if he can answer your questions.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • ReaperHKReaperHK Member Posts: 26
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    I have tried to clear all cookie or even use the browser which I never used to visit Fing, but it is failed. I have also tried 2.3.0
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Odd question, but are your date and time correct on your computer? I have seen authentication issues on computers at work and it was caused by the date or time being wrong.

Also, are you using an email and password to login or doing something like Sign in with Google/Facebook/Apple?
    Sometimes when logging in to an application with one of the latter methods, you have to use an app password instead of your regular email password. 

Again, just shooting in the dark here to see if any of these have been tried before.

Yes, time is correct, sync with the ntp server and with my two computer liked that. I can login macOS, iOS android app and web without issue, I have tried both login in via Google and email login.

have tried both open the app and copy the link
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,081
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Daveyboi said:
    I haven't tried the desktop app just yet, but am still using the browser-based version. Maybe one of the developers can chime in on this question. Is the desktop app tied, in any way, to any browser on the computer and reading cookies or session information of any kind?  Also, I didn't see anyone mention the account that the fing service is running under. If you open the services console (winkey+r then type services.msc), you will see a list of the services running on your machine. What does it show for Log On As? It sounds like something isn't passing authentication correctly and setting a correct access token.  If the desktop app is tied to a browser and looking for cookies and items like that, you may need to clear the cookies and cache for any fing-related sites. 
    To address your questions, Web app is a mirror image of what Fing mobile app and Fing desktop scanned and idenfied. Also, you can manage your account settings from web app. It is not linked to any browser or reading cookies/sessions. Fing desktop if installed under admin account will run the Fing service from the admin account and same for any user account as well. In order to use Fing Desktop, you will firstly need to create a free Fing account. Fing Desktop, like the mobile app and Fingbox, leverages our device recognition service in our cloud servers. Hence, Fing Desktop needs to contact the Fing services. Fing desktop sign in requires to log in to Fing account via web app so Fing account can be verified and then it successfully logs you in to your account on Fing desktop.

Can you elaborate more on this so I can understand clearly: "What does it show for Log On As?"
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Photogenic First Comment
    Hi Robin,
    Thank you for all of that information! I was just giving the original poster some things to try and consider. I was asking them what account the service was running under in case something was changed somehow.
    RobinrootedMarc
    Any update on this issue? I have just tried the latest windows version, but it is still failed
    admin
    ReaperHK said:
    Any update on this issue? I have just tried the latest windows version, but it is still failed
    Did you get to sign in or did you get a Service not found error? Can you share the screenshot of the error? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    ReaperHK said:
    Hi @Robin ,
      Here you are. Only WIndows got the issue (Build 2004 - 20H2 ,19042.541 ), I can login MacOS with no issue.
      The error message will be gone very quick and it just looks like this

@Robin, it is still the same as I posted in Sept 2020, with the "Authentication Failed! Try with another link or check your connection!" shows and gone.

It is no different from the latest version and the one I posted in sept
    admin
    Hi @ReaperHK
    I have checked the last log files you provided and it seems like some application on your device is blocking Fing desktop from connecting to its cloud servers and thus you are able to sign in. Can you try to go to safe mode with networking and then try to sign in? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    @Robin, we had done that before I provided the log (as I need to buy a USB Ethernet due to my wifi did not work in safe mode). I have tested with two laptop (one is Thinkpad and one is my wife HP computer, which only use for Web browsing), and no luck in both
    Off topic: (I will start a new thread) I am facing the same problem for after upgrading my macOS app
    admin
    Hi @ReaperHK
    I have sent you a private mail to address your query. Please reply to my message directly. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Thanks and replied
  • PixelPixel Devon, U.K.Moderator Posts: 146
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    edited April 10
    Hi @Robin I assume this thread has been resolved, if I’m correct could you close it please or remove it from the unanswered queue. Cheers.
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,301
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Pixel , @Robin , as the answers and responses keep getting rejected, this thread would probably have to be locked or changed to a discussion thread. Otherwise I’m guessing it will keep coming up in unanswered.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,165
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Marc & @Pixel, that is now done as suggested. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Marc
This discussion has been closed.