Fingbox & Fing Desktop integration

Comments

• PixelPixel Devon, U.K.Moderator Posts: 155
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    KayJay said:
    Hey, has anyone else noticed that the Fing Desktop app will periodically lose your network and "discover" a new one? 
    @KayJay i have seen this behaviour before & if it’s the same then the following article may help : - https://www.macissues.com/2015/05/18/fix-your-macs-network-name-getting-2-appended-to-it/
    The problem may be caused by having multiple network adapters active e.g. wifi & ethernet 🤞🏼
    Marc
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 271
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can see why the desktop versions and the mobile app don't (or won't) integrate with each other.  For example, when I do a network assessment at a customer location using either my Macbook Pro or iPhone, I don't want that network to integrate with my personal network information.  But there should be an option to allow integration on a location by location basis.  Until that happens, the only thing I'm using my Fingbox for is to automatically block new devices, which allows me to see who or what is trying to connect and I can allow it or not.
  • tttttttttt Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Any word on this yet? I just spent a loooooong time correctly identifying all the devices on my fingbox network using the iphone app, came to the desktop and wondered why the devices weren't identified any more. I get everyone's use case is different, but for me I travel (or used to) and so I would love to use the desktop app to manage my fingbox network. Give us the option!
    FredBro
  • flashflash99flashflash99 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Nothing much more to say, except fully agree with all posts. I have given up trying to manually keep these separate product-data (Fingbox, desktop, phone all) up to date. Should be looking for an alternative product?
  • mjwarner641mjwarner641 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    Def another upvote. Not sure about others, but it feels a bit like Fing is trying to juggle two products with some different functionality and features when what their customers want is that focus on a single great product. The Fingbox was a fantastic add-on to an already great networking app for mobile devices. Then this kind of sideways focus on the Desktop App which doesn't integrate with the other two but comes with a subscription service for the premium features. Kinda makes you feel like you're stepping through mud to stick with it. But it's still the best networking monitoring solution for consumer purchase in my opinion. I have faith. Oh and a linux version down the line would be awesome, if we're into the whole desktop development deal. Any Linux works. Thank the developers for all their hard work.
  • ageis11ageis11 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Hi Guys, I will add my upvote to integration of Fingbox into the Desktop app.  Streamline the experience across all the platforms.
  • reygio349reygio349 Member Posts: 36
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Anniversary
    ✭✭

I haven't read any new update from the developers about this . Anybody from Fing please .

I got the premium when the desktop app was available but regretted coz it made me more confused coz it shows that i have 3 networks instead of 1 .

ageis11
    ✭✭

• PixelPixel Devon, U.K.Moderator Posts: 155
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    reygio349 I got the premium when the desktop app was available but regretted coz it made me more confused coz it shows that i have 3 networks instead of 1 .
    If you have scanned different networks or use split SSIDs then Fing will display them as separate networks. I hope this is of use, you can check which networks you have and remove those that are not required/relevant as follows:-
    From the scan screen select my networks

When you get to the Scanned network screen swipe right to left to DELETE the network. Double check you are deleting the correct network as once deleted it connot be recovered & any edits you have made will be lost.

• BarrydotnetBarrydotnet Member Posts: 13
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Integration from Fing Desktop to fingbox would be very desireable
    ageis11reygio349
    ✭✭

And now with the new update my fingbox is gone and its annoyingly blinking green .

Fing just ignored its members and users request for integration.

• daved2424daved2424 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 15
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭

In the early days Fing were great. They were responsive and genuinely listened to feedback. They really valued all of us early crowd-funder backers who essentially allowed Fingbox to exist.

Now they have been bought and have this half-arsed desktop application they have somewhat lost their way. You can see how much demand there is proper integration, and and developer or product manager worth half their salt would have thought this too. But nope. Continue ploughing on with what people don’t want. If you bought a Fingbox they don’t care about you anymore. Your original investment is meaningless. Want they really want to do is get you paying a subscription for services that you don’t want.

PeterP
    ✭✭
    Thats true , I'm one of the backers and got my version 1 box from being a backer then i bought the verson 2 box and paying the premium when they launch the desktop app thinking that its integrated but after i installed the desktop app i got 3networks instead of one and worst is i have to customize again my devices since its not merging with the mobile app.
    NOW , this problem and my box is blinking green 
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,365
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if you folks saw this announcement from Fing.  https://community.fing.com/discussion/6463/new-version-release-fing-11-android#latest (Emphasis below is mine)

Fing 11.0 Updates: 

Overview : 

With this release, we are including the ability to manage your Fing Desktop network also via your Fing Mobile App, creating one platform whereby you can manage all of your available Fing products. 

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    ✭✭
    Marc said:
    Not sure if you folks saw this announcement from Fing.  https://community.fing.com/discussion/6463/new-version-release-fing-11-android#latest (Emphasis below is mine)

Fing 11.0 Updates: 

Overview : 

With this release, we are including the ability to manage your Fing Desktop network also via your Fing Mobile App, creating one platform whereby you can manage all of your available Fing products. 

I don’t want that though. I don’t need to manage my “desktop” network from my app. Quite the opposite. I want to manage my Fingbox next from the desktop. And reading the comments below the post it sounds like the rollout is going spectacularly badly. What a surprise. 
    Barrydotnetageis11ttt
  • DiverkingDiverking Heerhugowaard, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 52
    10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    I couldn't agree anymore with all the answers. I justeds posted also so the same question. Shouldn't it ring a bell?
    Barrydotnetttt
  • OKCOKC Member, Beta Tester Posts: 75
    5 Answers 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭
    I've had the fingbox for a long time and happy its still working. The value of the box. the free iPhone app and free desktop app has made me really happy. This is one of the best purchases I have ever made.
    Thank you Fing!
  • PopulaPopula Member Posts: 23
    5 Answers 10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Just upvoted this request. 
    OP June last year. Fast forward nine months - roughly today - what's the status? Is this being taken seriously by the devs?
  • mjwarner641mjwarner641 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    Yeah I gotta say, it's more convenient, but still a problem. Making a problem more convenient probably hits most customers as a little annoying. If not a proper intengration we'd rather be hearing about fingbox v3. Seems clear enough what the customers want is the ability to effectively monitor and manage a single, but potentially complex network. The need for this is skyrocketing and there's a lot of oppurtunity there.

Covid had everything violented shifted into to our homes and turns out it's a trend that's not likely to go away. Meanwhile I've bought multiple small appliances recently and only found out afterward that they contain wireless network cards. When did this become so common? The number and type of devices and the network configuration of those devices is getting increasingly complex. For bedrooms I configure I have most devices wired to a router on a subnet, or in some cases as with the smart appliances, connected wirelessly to a hotspot which gets its internet through a wired connection that runs to the router, that then connects wirelessly to the gateway with a single IP address. It's not terribly uncommon for a single bedroom to have 5-8 networked devices now. (I work primarily in larger, upper middle class households which commonly have wireless connectivity issues for various reasons, distance between gateway and end user devices with weak wireless cards being the main problem)

Honestly, if what Fing is doing isn't focusing on that, then it's not responding to it's customers and missing out on a real demand that another company will end up filling. That's why we want to hear about integrations and what the next Fingbox will do. You'd probably get a slew of Premium subscribers if that were the case. Right now like most of your Fingbox customers, I'm thinking "Subscribe for what?" And you have to wonder, when the first wave of Fingboxes start naturally dying out in significant numbers, are the customers going to replace them with the same version? I had to ask myself that and the truth is if my Fingbox died today I wouldn't replace it, even though it'd technically be an upgrade since it's the v1. Oh and to be clear, not re-upping with Fingbox doesn't mean I'll be automatically using the Fing Desktop with Premium features. Having worked for Software Development companies I understand the push and need for subscription based revenue but you gotta offer them something they need or want.

Just some of my thoughts on all this. If there's a better way to share this feedback I'd happily do that. Take care all.
    PopulaCasualHockeyFanPeterPMartynK
  • PeterPPeterP Member, Beta Tester Posts: 61
    25 Agrees 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    It seems pretty clear, especially since the acquisition, that Fing is no longer interested in its hardware business and is trying to shift to a software only subscription business.  I am also one of the early backers and have managed engineering teams for network system vendors for many years.  As others here have noted, any good marketing person would have insisted that the desktop application integrate with the Fingbox in the same way as the mobile Apps. The only logical explanation is that they want out of that business.  I hope I am wrong, but when my v1 Fingbox dies someday, I won't be purchasing another unless there is a clear change of direction at Fing.  Frankly, I wonder how many of the original developers are still with the company?  Having been through several mergers and acquisitions in my career, my experience is that most founding member of the acquired company don't stay for very long, usually a year or less.
    MartynK
  • MartynKMartynK Hong KongMember Posts: 51
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Having been in the software development and services business since the early 80's I have to agree with the comments above with regards the development and advancement of the service. While we have seen lots of things added to the software side of things, the fingbox that showed such promise that I was an early backer, has stood still to a certain extent. The product lines do need to merge and to be honest the fingbox should be the premium side of the offering and offer even more. While a recurring revenue stream is all important now days compared to a single sale, if you want you want to have this new sales setup, you need to offer something for it.
    I am a premium subscriber, not 100% sure why as it does not offer a lot more than I can get in other places, often for free. I too like the previous posters, have multiple devices in the home and have added many over the last year or so during Covid where we don't really know what they are fully doing and what backdoors to our networks they open with or without forethought of their original intention. The fingbox needs to be integrated with the desktop and mobile versions for a single user experience and functional line.
    Lastly, premium users should be able to contact support direct, raise support tickets and not be redirected to a public forum and private message system. Fing has moved, but now it needs to "Move On" if it truly does want to advance in to the world of big players.
    PeterPPopula
  • PopulaPopula Member Posts: 23
    5 Answers 10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭

Totally agree with MartynK.

I’m a new user, w/ fingbox and premium since last week, because I see so much potential.

What I am expecting now, is further development and fine-tuning of the product.

Desktop integration is one of them. This will have to be addressed by the developers, or this fine product will die.

Many recurring customers, even me being new tot this, would drop this device in an instant, if they feel not being taken seriously.

There will be a win-win situation, if Fingbox continues to develop. Otherwise I foresee a grim future.

Ciaran
  • dfinlaydfinlay Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    I fully support this request. I've made a lot of customizations to my Fingbox's network, with pretty icons and notes. The fact that the desktop application is on the same network and I would have to recreate those customizations (and duplicate them every time I make a new on) is less than ideal. Merge the networks! One big happy family!
    PeterP
  • MikeRubinMikeRubin Member Posts: 7
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment

I now am completely confused about why it matters to have a Fingbox when the desktop and mobile apps seem to do the same things as the box.

I own Fingbox 1 and bought a Fing premium subscription after I changed my router to an xfi one that can't ping devices, won't reserve IP addresses properly, and that maintains a network map only by MAC address rather than IP address. Unfortunately, my Fingbox started to connect and disconnect randomly after the new app arrived, going online and off again several times per hour. The posted "solutions" in the community didn't work and, after resetting the Fingbox as recommended, it won't work at all.

No biggie, I thought. I just get Fingbox 2.

Unfortunately, it appears to be no longer available in the United States.

The new Android app does appear to provide most of the functionality of the desktop app, although it says that it cannot communicate with my desktop network. Still, I can get a decent network map and ping the devices on it, which is really most of what I need from it

It does look like software is Fing's direction if I can't even buy a Fingbox. What will I miss without one, especially after the iOS app also updated?

✭✭

Is your computer an always-on network device?

• MikeRubinMikeRubin Member Posts: 7
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment

It is always on and always is connected, but I hadn't thought about that. I guess that not having to keep a computer running at all times is one advantage of having the Fingbox.

• OKCOKC Member, Beta Tester Posts: 75
    5 Answers 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭
    I didn't get in on the very beginning. I got mine at full price on amazon, its V1 I think. i can honestly say that I got so much more than I planned on. It is one of the best investments I have ever made.
  • ABthreeABthree Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    Desktop and App integration only seem to have gotten worse since the latest App update. 
    I'm using App v. 11.0.0, Desktop v. 2.4.1.  The Desktop has never shown all of the devices on my network.  I've always assumed that it was confused by my powerline extenders (even though they're cloned to my router) and/or my VPN; both are appropriately transparent to the App.  The Desktop also seems to give a lot of false "Warnings", which I simply ignore.
    Since the last update, though, the Desktop has become harder to ignore, since it's now right at the top of the home screen as the Monitored Network.  When I hit "see all devices", I get a device list that's two weeks old, says "two weeks ago", and doesn't update, ever.  To see my real Monitored Network, I need to hit "Scan for devices" on my Fingbox monitored network and accept once again "Show Fingbox Network", and only then do I get to see what's useful to me.
    Please, either fix the Desktop, or at least, get it off the top of the App.
  • ABthreeABthree Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    @MikeRubin Fingbox v.2 seems to available on Amazon again.
    MikeRubin
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,365
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably should have brought up that NewEgg also sells the Fingbox and did so when Amazon had it as unavailable.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    MikeRubinABthree