Device Recognition Concerned About Hack

I've been dealing with hack situation, they know what their doing. I had something come up tonight. II'm on Fing App on my phone which was connected wirelessly to my ASUS router. App it shows three devices connected; one device is the phone that was connected with the app wirelessly; the second , was the router ; and the third was a laptop that I have hard wired on ethernet cord. So the Fing App says the computer is a MacBook pro

Its actually a Dell pc. the name of the computer is correct but the model is not and I'm concerned. A MacBook Pro has been seen before connected to the network. There are thoughts they have cloned my network, but the model name being apple vs I'm using a Dell is the most odd yet. Is Fing accurate? Thoughts?

DumbDan

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,885
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks for your post. Any piece of advice @Marc @Pixel
    Thanks again.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Swt_sunrises69
  • Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 228
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @DumbDan
    At this stage I wouldn’t be to concerned, it is quite possible that the IP address was previously used by the MacBook and the record hasn’t refreshed. I suggest you delete the device from fing, rescan the network and, if required, edit and rename the device correctly.
    You can cross check this by comparing the mac address of your device (usually on a printed label with the serial number) and the address shown in your Web account scan/device records. Hopefully this will resolve your query but don’t forget anything connected to your local network will appear in scan results.
    If you’re concerned about security please ensure that you have an active firewall & anti-virus software installed and up to date this will reduce the possibility of your network being hacked.
    Robin_from_Fing
  • DumbDan
    DumbDan Member Posts: 8
    First Comment Photogenic

Pixel thank you for the timely response a couple of things to just push back on gently 1. I have AntiVirus ESET setup 2. also have a firewall set up on my router but most important to this conversation is I never owned a MacBook pro

Moreover this is a brand new router and 100% sure no Mac device was connected to it. So let me flip this around if somebody has cloned my IP address and is using a MacBook pro does FING identify hardware accurately OR can FING get confused between a PC and a MacBook pro?

I don't see this is an IP issue I see it more as a MAC address issue correct ?but these are really critical answers thank you

• Pixel
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Again, it it definitely possible for fing to misidentify the device, so that could be the problem. However, with a new router you’ve introduced a new network (did you delete the old network?). The situation/solution is pretty much the same, so if you haven’t already, delete your current network.* Then, while logged in to your current network, rescan the network and check the devices MAC addresses & types and confirm they are what you expect to see (you will also need to update your web account (assuming you have one). If MAC addresses are correct but a name/type is misidentified then click on the device/edit and change the details, there should also be an option to feedback if fing identified the device correctly  ( 👍🏿/👎🏿) symbols.

* I’m assuming from your first post that you don’t have many devices so editing shouldn’t be too laborious.
  • DumbDan
    First Comment Photogenic

thanks I understand this one better just a couple of basic block and tackle questions . when you say delete your network is that disconnect or forget? And second of all the details in the FING interface you just mean the name or Mac address or what cuz it's not whitelisted? Everything else you and I are on the same page about I really really the timeliness of the response. I guess I'm kind of fishing for what I'm looking for but to the first thing you say I'm wondering what things accuracy is an identifying hardware? Cuz I don't have a Mac at all and it's not my neighbors clicheTHANK YOU!!!

• Pixel
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I mean delete the networks, screenshot:-
    select my networks 

On the Scanned Networks screen:- Swipe each network right to left (ios or ipados) to delete networks.

Now ensure you’re connected to your network & then rescan to add network & devices, you will then get a display of all devices on your network.
    You should now be able to cross reference ip addresses & MAC addresses to your individual devices to prove they are yours. Once this process is completed you can edit & correct names as appropriate, any which you can’t identify should be investigated or barred (blocked) from your network.
    Note. If you split your SSID to access 2.4 or 5Ghz separately they will show up as different networks.
    Pixel
  • DumbDan
    First Comment Photogenic

Thank you! Really appreciate the effort. I'll keep you posted