Is the notification "Alert me when state changes"/"Alert on state change" via IP or MAC address?

Doren
Doren Member Posts: 14
First Comment Photogenic
edited February 12 in Fingbox
Hi,

Is the notification "Alert me when state changes"/"Alert on state change" via IP or MAC address? Because I have manually taken dynamic IP devices offline & I have not gotten an alert. Even when I've plugged them back & they've obtained a new IP address, I'm still not alerted. I need to know if this feature uses a device's MAC address to determine if it's offline or not. Because if you use IP addresses then this feature is completely worthless. If it does use MAC addresses, then the alert system is not working correctly.

Example:
I need to know if my smart plugs lose connection to my router because my Apple Homekit will not be able to control them. If I would get a notification, I will simply reboot my router which re-connects those devices.

Can someone explain in more detail how this feature exactly works? Because I get some devices notifying me, but many others are not. Do they have to be Assigned to a User to work properly? I've also ensured they were all set to a 5 minute State change timeout (Auto).

Please help.
Thank you,
-Doren

Answers

• Robin
    Robin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,614
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    edited February 12
    Hi @Doren
    I am sorry to hear that you feel like you are not getting support at all. As I can see you have an open support ticket where I have been actively responding to your query. We always try to reach the user within 24 hours working from Mon-Fri. During the weekends, the support team is not available. 
    Now to address your query, 'Alert me when state changes"/"Alert on state change" via IP or MAC address?' It works on MAC address basis. Once the device MAC address is offline then it will first show as In range and then after couple of minutes offline. In Range is referred to the device is in the complete signal range of the network. Whenever a device which goes out of range from the network, then after a default set of time Fingbox/Fing app will alert that device as Offline if it doesn't come back in range.
    For State change alerts: If you have changed the state change alert from default value(20 mins) to a different value(5 mins) then, when the device is not in use, it may go to sleep mode and then if the state change is set to the lowest value of 1 or 2 minutes, it can be recorded as offline or out of range. So, when it returns back from the sleep mode, it will be marked as 'Online' and thus providing you with an alert. If the state change alert value is set to more than 20 minutes, then until that time period is finished, that device will still be marked 'Online' and only after that time period it will be recorded as 'Offline', thus providing you with an alert.

You can add the devices to users list if you want or you can set the state change alert time manually by clicking on the device. Adding devices to users help to know the digital presence of those device.

For more info: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/digital-presence-detection/

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Doren
  • Doren
    Doren Member Posts: 14
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi Robin, thank you so much for the explanation on MAC Address Alert State Changes. I will make some adjustments as per your suggestions. Thank you so much! And I apologize, I was not complaining about Support at all, it was just interesting to discover that when I upgraded to a Premium Subscription that my Support options were the same. That's all. I have edited my original post & removed that comment because I do not want to be misunderstood. Support has always responded within 24hrs & has always been able to answer all my questions. In fact, if personal aspects need to be discussed they have privately contacted me too. Thanks again!
    Robin
  • Robin
    Robin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,614
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Doren
    If you require anything else, do let us know and we will guide you. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!