Wrong geolocation by default - far from real position

lnag5
lnag5 Member Posts: 6
First Comment Photogenic

Hi, I’d like to learn more about the geolocation shown by default on your app. Indeed when I am connected to a private network through a wifi signal, the geolocation by default from your app is not correct. It’s even really far from my real position shown into another app installed on the same device (1000kms). Then I contacted the network provider support concerned by this problem and one of its return was to ask you the question. Then could you please help me to understand why this geolocation by default is so far from my real position please ? I’ve made a screenshot. I know that I can change manually this geolocation through your app but my question is why it’s so far by default. Thanks for your return and your support.

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,708
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @lnag5...  Please see this thread for details on how Fing determines location.  https://community.fing.com/discussion/4463/wrong-internet-provider#latest

Below is a clip...

For ISP name detection,  Fing uses GEOIP2 City Database API by MaxMind and they update their database every week. If the Fing App shows a different ISP name rather than what you use, it is because the same name is picked up GEOIP2 City Database. The ISP name is identified based on the public IP address by Fing App and then it is matched against the GEOIP2 City Database API. 

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • lnag5
    First Comment Photogenic

Dear All, thanks for answering me. I read the related post but my problem is not exactly the same. The ISP name detection is correct but the geolocation by default is not. I already left a comment to the ISP support concerned about that. Then Is this a simple database problem or something else like a « numerical bridge » on the private network where I am connected ? Or Maybe this geolocation problem could come from my device ? May I ask you an additional technical return please ? Thanks a lot

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

A VPN can skew the results by design as they can obscure your location. In that case you could appear to be wherever the vpn’s end points are.

Robin_from_Finglnag5
  • lnag5
    First Comment Photogenic

I agree with your point of view. That’s the reason why my vpn installed on my device is turned off when I am doing the test. I’d like to add that the private network where I am connected to a wifi signal is also equipped with a vpn but also turned off during the test. Any additional idea dear members ? I would like to understand and solve this potential problem of geolocation. Thanks for your kind support. Have a nice day

• lnag5
    First Comment Photogenic

... additional information to understand as well: when I am doing the test while opening a webpage through Google, the geolocation shown by Google at the end of the webpage is correct..

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Read this clip from the API vendor for accuracy by Country...  https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip2-city-accuracy-comparison

Might explain their accuracy versus Google...
  • lnag5
    First Comment Photogenic

Many thanks for your devoted time. Indeed it could explain this potential issue but it doesn’t seem to be solved yet. I think we can close my request for the moment. Have a nice day and all the best for 2021.

• lnag5
    First Comment Photogenic

Dear all, this message to let you know that I’ve just done another test by connecting my device to the same wifi signal. The geolocation issue through your F. app seems to be solved now. It’s not completely accurate but it’s clearly better.

Robin_from_Fing