Fing reports unknow devices are connected to my network

wilkel
wilkel Member Posts: 5
Name Dropper First Comment
edited January 28, 2021 in Fing App #1
In the moment i have some problems with my internet provider. It is from time to time off . In these cases i am using the personal hotspot function from my i-phone and connect my WLAN via fritzbox to the WLAN deliverd by the personal hotspot.
When i do so all works fine but i always get message by fing that external device , not owned by me and also unknow to me get connected for instance right now this one :

there are quite a few this is just an example. I always block them immediately.
But  i am a bit irritated. When i look to the list of connected devices in my router - these devices are not visible.
So for me it looks like an internal fing issue. Why is fing reporting that there are devices in my network.
And are they really connected or is this an wrong information ???
Please urgently advice .
thx and regards
Lutz
jjrice2233

Comments

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,866
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @wilkel
    I can see you are using Apple devices. I would say Fing is detecting the private mac addresses and identifying as new devices. Please check this link for detail information: https://www.fing.com/news/private-mac-address-on-ios-14
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    jjrice2233
  • wilkel
    wilkel Member Posts: 5
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Hi  @Robin thx for your comment 
    I dont believe this happens - as most of these device do get a name like in the example above "iPhonevrittaalt" -- this name was never used in my network and makes completely no sense to me.  Also these are not all reported apple devices.
    There are other names like "BrittaPC" pls see attached picture. I blocked this devices when i became aware of.
    Nevertheless  for me still completely un-explainable how this kind of information lands in my fing network.
    From my point of view it looks like a bridge to other information from different fing user available in Fing cloud and a wrong match when showing the information for my network ???
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,866
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @wilkel
    First of all, you need to check with their MAC address if they correspond to same device or not. You can use this link: https://aruljohn.com/mac/F45EAB
    Also, check on your Fingbox network if any unknown BSSID(access point) is added to your network or not. Please follow these steps to check the BSSID(Access Points):  
    1. Open the Fing App and select Fingbox network 
    2. Click on the Network Tab  
    3. Scroll down and locate the Access Point Section  
    4. You will be able to see the BSSID.   

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!