Device recognition problems PI's

edgraaffedgraaff Voorachoten, NLMember Posts: 17
10 Comments Photogenic
Hi, the latest andriod app version and desktop version of the fing app is showing my Raspberry Pi devices as NAS devices , Quantum /Scalar i500 and not Raspberry Pi 2 or 3 devices, it seems the Pi 4 devices are recognised correctly.
---
Follow us @ https:/www.fishfreak.org Fly-fish & -tie, Nordics, camp & outdoor
Tagged:

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,391
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    edgraaff said:
    Hi, the latest andriod app version and desktop version of the fing app is showing my Raspberry Pi devices as NAS devices , Quantum /Scalar i500 and not Raspberry Pi 2 or 3 devices, it seems the Pi 4 devices are recognised correctly.

To correct the misidentified device on Fing desktop, I would suggest to:   

• Sign in and Go to Home tab   

• Scan for devices. 

• If the device is still recognized incorrect then Click on the specific device   

• Click on Icon "Recognize" device   

To manually identify the misidentified device on Fing app, I would suggest to:   

• Sign in to the Fing app 

• Go to Device List    

• Click on the misrecognized device. 

• Below the device name and O.S you will find a text saying "Did we get this right?"  

• If you click on (thumbs_down icon) then it will allow you to manually enter the correct O.S and model of the device. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    jjrice2233
  • edgraaffedgraaff Voorachoten, NLMember Posts: 17
    10 Comments Photogenic
    edited December 2020
    Hi,
    When the manual entry is done, will this be used to learn for the future? in the past the pi models where recognised correctly.
    I have entered the right info and os versions. 

regards
    eelco
    ---
    jjrice2233
    admin
    Yes, the Fing discovery will learn the correct identification for future. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    jjrice2233
  • brodricjbrodricj Member Posts: 9
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer First Comment
    This feature is not working. When devices are misidentified, I correct the information manually, but it is not being permanently saved in the devices screen. It just reverts back to the wrong information. I have tried this several times now with different devices, the wrong information is over-riding the manually entered information.
    jjrice2233
    admin
    brodricj said:
    This feature is not working. When devices are misidentified, I correct the information manually, but it is not being permanently saved in the devices screen. It just reverts back to the wrong information. I have tried this several times now with different devices, the wrong information is over-riding the manually entered information.
    Are you signed in to Fing app while you are making the changes? Are you using Fingbox as well? Are you editing on Fing app or fing desktop?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    jjrice2233
    Yes, signed in. Yes, I have a Fingbox. Editing in the iOS Fing App on a MacBook Air.
    jjrice2233
    admin
    brodricj said:
    Yes, signed in. Yes, I have a Fingbox. Editing in the iOS Fing App on a MacBook Air.
    You need to edit the names on Fing mobile app under Fingbox network. If you edit the names on Fing desktop, then these names will be available under the same network without Fingbox. 

To explain, if you have a Fingbox and you are using a Fing Dekstop, then you will see two networks, one from the Fingbox and one from the Fing Desktop. As Fing Desktop is a separate product, it works separately and does not integrate with Fingbox as of the moment. If something changes with future release then we will let all users know. 
    Also, if you are using an Apple device, then as apple restricted from identifying the MAC addresses, then Fing App may create multiple networks provided Fing App is unable to read the MAC address and recognize if the devices are coming from same network or different. Only the network from Fing mobile app and Fing Desktop can merge, given the MAC address is being able to read by the Fing App. And if you select the Fing Desktop network from the Fing mobile app(not the Fingbox network) then if you have made any changes to Fing Desktop devices, you can view same on Fing mobile app. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    brodricjjjrice2233
    After you do a manual entry "hint" into Fingpedia how long does that take to process at your end so the automatic detection of similar devices is more reliable? I have to do a lot of manual entries because Fing is getting them wrong.
    jjrice2233
    admin
    brodricj said:
    After you do a manual entry "hint" into Fingpedia how long does that take to process at your end so the automatic detection of similar devices is more reliable? I have to do a lot of manual entries because Fing is getting them wrong.
    It depends on how many similar devices are being corrected by other users. The more the same number of devices, the better the discovery becomes. I would suggest that you can manually recognise all your devices and then from mobile app, go to account storage and hit "Synchronize" which will save your settings.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    brodricjjjrice2233
  • edgraaffedgraaff Voorachoten, NLMember Posts: 17
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Some observations: 
    I made all corrections in the android app, and i did take and energy to fill in all models in the correct way. 
    What i don't understand the windows version is still showing incorrect data, if the data is considered wrong, or inaccurate, i assume there is a way of reviewing the data? 
    And what is puzzling me is, the recognition did work, and it seems broken, but the replaced information is NAS vendor data, not even data that is related to Raspberry. The mac address ranges are bound to a vendor? Or the Fing unit is able to do some internal analytics on the devices in the network, and their behaviour.  BTW i assume the collected data of my internal network stays within my personal profile, since this data can also be used for analytics and or risk assessments and when this data would be captured by hackers it could become a serious risk.
    ---
    jjrice2233
    I find working within the desktop environment for configuring Fing to be more practical than on the iOS app. I wish you could synchronize to the app after making changes on desktop. I do find it confusing having a fingbox network and other networks in fing when I really only have just the one network. I also wish that Fing would only keep one instance of a device in the register when it is on DHCP and gets a new IP. How do I change the name of the Fingbox network? I want to change it to match the SSID of my wireless.
    jjrice2233
    admin
    edgraaff said:
    Some observations: 
    I made all corrections in the android app, and i did take and energy to fill in all models in the correct way. 
    What i don't understand the windows version is still showing incorrect data, if the data is considered wrong, or inaccurate, i assume there is a way of reviewing the data? 
    And what is puzzling me is, the recognition did work, and it seems broken, but the replaced information is NAS vendor data, not even data that is related to Raspberry. The mac address ranges are bound to a vendor? Or the Fing unit is able to do some internal analytics on the devices in the network, and their behaviour.  BTW i assume the collected data of my internal network stays within my personal profile, since this data can also be used for analytics and or risk assessments and when this data would be captured by hackers it could become a serious risk.

Fing is a cloud based software and as such a Fing account is required in order to deliver its functionality. Any personal information we hold about you in our cloud is used solely for the purpose of delivering and improving our service to you. With regards to Local API: it’s actually local for Fing desktop.

As a general principle we apply (and sometimes outperform) industry standards for encryption, pseudonimization, anonymization and data segregation for all personal data stored.

We do not sell, rent, or share any personal information with any external third party. All information we hold about a user is visible to the user at https://app.fing.com/app#user:account and can be deleted upon request by cancelling your account with us. For more information about our privacy policy and practices, please visit https://app.fing.com/privacy.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    jjrice2233
    admin
    Hi @brodricj
    To change the name of your Fingbox, open the Fingbox network and go to network tab and on top you will see your Fingbox name and an edit button. If you click on edit button, you can enter your name, address or auto-detect your location for correct speed tests and outage reports. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    jjrice2233
    Again, how do I change the name of my Fingbox? It has grabbed the name of an old SSID when I first installed it. I want to change the Fingbox name to something else.
    jjrice2233
    admin
    brodricj said:
    Again, how do I change the name of my Fingbox? It has grabbed the name of an old SSID when I first installed it. I want to change the Fingbox name to something else.
    To change the name of your Fingbox, open the Fingbox network

and go to network tab and on top you will see your Fingbox name and an edit button.

If you click on edit button, you can enter your name, address or auto-detect your location for correct speed tests and outage reports. Thanks

If you want to change the name of SSID on Fingbox, then Unfortunately, apart from uninstalling the Fingbox and reinstalling it, there is no way of updating the SSID. . This is because the SSID is saved in the network when the user performs the scan using the Fing App (also when onboarding the Fingbox). After this 1st scan, all other scans are being done by the Fingbox itself, but since the Fingbox is connected through a wired LAN cable, it’s not capable of detecting new SSID(s) in the network.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    brodricj
    Fingbox change name worked, thanks. Today I received an email that my hint for a wrongly recognized device had been accepted in Fingpedia (Philips Pronto Pro TSU9600). However when I do a network scan now those devices are not being recognized as what was reported.
    jjrice2233
    admin
    brodricj said:
    Fingbox change name worked, thanks. Today I received an email that my hint for a wrongly recognized device had been accepted in Fingpedia (Philips Pronto Pro TSU9600). However when I do a network scan now those devices are not being recognized as what was reported.
    If it is accepted then it will be added to Fingpedia soon. You can wait for some time and when the Fing network performs a scan it will automatically correct them once suggestions are added to Fingpedia. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    jjrice2233
    The email I received said Pronto Pro had been accepted and added to Fingpedia. Now, almost a day later, network scan is still not recognizing the devices. I've just checked again in the Fing iOS app. The Pronto Pro touch panels are not being recognized for what they are. I will check again tomorrow.
    jjrice2233
  • MarcoNLMarcoNL NLMember Posts: 23
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    Fingpedia has issues, unfortunately.
    My router is not being recognized correctly and Fing support wote it's because there's something on my network buziing Fing. ('Could be a switch or something else, connect the router directly')
    Truth is, my Router is not listed in Fingpedia at all, so it simply cannot be reconized!
    I don't blame anybody for not listing my router, but I do dislike 'automated processed that are off' and there is no way to add the brand/router to Fingpedia, so -> exit Fing and Fingbox.
  • max2198max2198 Member Posts: 20
    10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic
    I have a SamKnows White box Model SK-WB8  
    comes up as Taicang T&W Electronics running Windows 7 suppose to be running DDwrt linux 
    device has a SOC:   MediaTek MT7621A
    mac address is 2C:DD:95:XX:XX:XX
    picture of device

admin
    @max2198
    From the same screen, you can click on "Find the exact model " and then you can suggest or find your device.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)