Static IP Address on Fingbox - from mobile app

Gary
Gary Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
5 Likes First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
edited September 13, 2019 in Fingbox feature requests #1

Hi

I'd like to be able to assign a static IP Address to the Fingbox, using settings on the Fingbox, currently this is not possible.

Thanks

Gary

VioletChepilterinaTarvDiane_MGremelinJonMartinBattlehamsterSecSock
7 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to assign one from your router page.
    Moving this back to Fingbox category as this feature is already existing. 
    how to assign a Static IP address to Fingbox. You'll need to assign the static IP address from your router settings page. Assigning Static IP addresses to most devices is easy. Just go to the network settings on your router, look for DHCP option and turn it OFF. Once you do that, you'll see a text area to enter Static IP address. Enter a new IP address for Fingbox there and save changes.

Community Manager at Fing

• Gary
    edited September 10, 2019 #3

Are you sure?

I need to set the option to use a static IP on the individual device, not the router settings. what you suggest will affect the entire network not individual devices. I asked Fing Tech support about this feature, here is the response...

Robin Garg (Fing) 

Dec 31, 16:28 GMT 

Hi Gary,

Thank you for clarification! 

Unfortunately, we don't have a way to set a static IP right now. Fingbox is intended for the majority of home networks where IP addresses are dispensed by DHCP. Maybe in the future, we’ll add the possibility to assign a static IP address. 

• Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I do the same thing. I created a reservation on my Eero Pro because I like all my network level devices to be single digits numbers on the 4th octect of my 10.10.2/24 network.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
  • wayner
    wayner Member, Beta Tester Posts: 32
    10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    You can do essentially the same thing by creating a DHCP reservation.  In some ways this is easier and, perhaps, more robust than setting a static IP on the device as you are less likely to get IP address conflicts.
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gary just turning this one into a question thread. Please choose an answer if this has solved things for you.

• Gary

@VioletChepil I assign all my Ethernet-connected devices a static IP address so i can easily find them on the network (this is done on each device). All other devices that connect to the network (phones, ipads, laptops, visitors etc.) use wifi and are assigned a dynamic IP address by my router using DHCP.

According to Robin Garg (Fing Tech Support) on Dec 31 2018 (see above), there is currently no way for me to assign the FingBox a static IP address.

If Robin Garg's response is incorrect, or the feature has already been implemented, please show/tell me how to assign the IP address to FingBox manually. If you cant show/tell me how to assign a static IP address to the FingBox manually please return this thread to the Feature Request area.

VioletChepil
  • Mirekmal
    Mirekmal Member, Beta Tester Posts: 68
    10 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Gary said:

@VioletChepil I assign all my Ethernet-connected devices a static IP address so i can easily find them on the network (this is done on each device). All other devices that connect to the network (phones, ipads, laptops, visitors etc.) use wifi and are assigned a dynamic IP address by my router using DHCP.

According to Robin Garg (Fing Tech Support) on Dec 31 2018 (see above), there is currently no way for me to assign the FingBox a static IP address.

If Robin Garg's response is incorrect, or the feature has already been implemented, please show/tell me how to assign the IP address to FingBox manually. If you cant show/tell me how to assign a static IP address to the FingBox manually please return this thread to the Feature Request area.

I believe the statement that it is not possible to set static IP for FingBox relates to box itself. There is indeed no option to set static IP in device configuration. But you can still assign specific IP to FingBox using your router configuration (e.g. bind specific IP to FigBox's MAC address). In such case FingBox is still using DHCP to obtain IP, but router always assign the same address that was reserved for this particular device.... effectively making it static.
    GaryVioletChepil
  • Gary

Agreed, but significantly easier to do it on the device, that’s why I posted my original post in the Feature Request section.

The feature request section is for requesting features, not for seeking workarounds to missing features, but thanks for the suggestions anyway.

VioletChepilSecSock
  • wayner
    wayner Member, Beta Tester Posts: 32
    10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    This isn't the case for the fingbox but I prefer DHCP reservations to setting static IPs.  There are two main reasons:
    (1) DHCP reservations can be set from the web UI of your router.  To set static IPs on a lot of devices, like an Xbox, Roku you need to physically do it on the device which means going to that room and going through the network setup menu on that device.  That can be inconvenient and takes longer, especially when you have a large house.
    (2) DHCP reservations should be less prone to IP address conflicts as your router should not assign an address, even one that is reserved, if another device is using that IP address.  With a static IP you could be more prone to tow (or more) devices trying to use the same IP address if you screw up.
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Gary this is in the Fingbox category at present. Apologies on this. I moved the thread since I thought we could provide an answer as we do allow static IP address to be assigned to the device. 
    I do think there is value in leaving this as a thread and it does address the static IP option available.
    Perhaps you could submit a new thread on the feature requests then specifying from the actual device? 
    I'm happy to post it up there for you as well. 
    It's just that I do think this is a good discussion which can be referenced for future members. 

• Gary
    edited September 13, 2019 #12

@VioletChepil I've changed the original post in this thread clarifying what feature I would like, however, you're the community manager, do what you like with it ...

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    OK I'll move to a feature request for you @gary and start up another question on this. Cheers

terina
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    All you can upvote to the idea above and I'm just going to clarify that this request is for assigning static IP address from the app. Thanks @Gary

terina
  • terina
    terina Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 3, 2020 #15

Let's make the distinction between setting a static IP (on the device),
    and creating a dynamic address reservation (on a DHCP server).

What’s the difference? The DHCP reservations still require a DHCP server. If the DHCP server becomes unavailable, devices are left dead-in-the-water! DHCP is great when it’s working, but often presents a single point of failure. 

Do we really want our network management devices, like FingBox, to fail during a DHCP server disruption?
    (Similar question posed to LIFX: "Wouldn't it be great to turn on your lights without needing a DHCP server?)

Is there a way to set a (true) static IPv4 address assignment on each FingBox device?  

I regularly test various vendor/firmware combinations (Juniper, Cisco, Adtran, Ubiquiti, etc) in a CE-router context. Much like @Gary, I prefer not to have my critical infrastructure unavailable while I sort out each vendor's DHCP server details. While I can segregate my networks, I'd rather have the Static IP option. I've just added my upvote to Gary's request. 

• Tarv
    Tarv Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    Would also appreciate the ability to manually set a static ip, gateway, dns and subnet.
  • jthigh71
    jthigh71 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    I'm also finding myself in a situation where I need to separate my edge router / gateway from my DNS provider... I really need a way to statically assign IP, subnet mask, gateway, and DNS provider for my Fingbox.  Is there a way without doing it through DHCP? 
  • JonMartin
    JonMartin Member Posts: 6
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    I'll add my reason for editing IP address.  I have two gateways.  DHCP serves the slow one.  I want fingbox to run speed test on the fast gateway.  There is no way in DHCP to change the gateway of a single address reservation.  So in my case the only fix is to be able to edit the gateway on the fing box.

• terina
    terina Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    That's a really interesting design concept, @JonMartin! I think it may hinge upon creating distinct dhcp scopes, one of which *only* allocates by mac-address reservation. 

I've instead gone the design route suggested by @The_Vorlon, currently testing various config options on EdgeRouter4 and SRX300 - but only one at a time. It's great when I've got all the features and options figured out. It's not so great when config gaps remain. You've got me pondering if I could deploy both routers (or whatever my next test subject might be) concurrently, gradually shifting options and functions from one to the other as I resolve their vendor specific config quirks. Thanks for the idea! That approach might resolve bottlenecks and single points of failure for some test scenarios.
  • JonMartin
    JonMartin Member Posts: 6
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    @The_Vorlon I am in a slow transition much like @terina and don't have a lot of money.  However ever with load balancing how would you tell the fing box which ISP to test?  Routing rules I guess but that's work on my part to work around a shortcoming of the fing box.
    The fast router I referred to is in fact an EdgeRouter and I did try to setup load balancing.  It works but the breaks the VPN also on the EdgeRouter.

@terina I like your dual mac-only DHCP suggestion.  It's been a while since I looked at dual DHCP.  Last I recall they tend to clober each other.  How would you prevent the other DHCP from responding first?
  • SecSock
    SecSock Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

So this morning my FingBox was allocated by the BT HALO3 hub a new IP address even though it was specifically told to always assign same ip!!

As an old IT manager I just knew this would happen at some point cos dchp it’s never reliable on isp hubs

Will there be a feature to be able to set the IP address of the Fing box via the mobile app or is there another way?

DCHP sucks for critical hardware. You can prove this by switching off the hub and watch all dchp devices panic while static assigned devices sit calm and giggle at the panicking devices :)

• SecSock
    First Comment

And after setting FingBox IP address on bt hub yesterday back to 192.168.1.3 it’s changed back to 192.168.1.88

i know it’s not FingBox but a a bt dchp issue but if you could allow us owners to set a static ip that would stop all this nonsense

• SecSock
    First Comment

So post FingBox app update and I presume the FingBox itself (not monitoring its versions and updates) the FingBox ip choose not to use the DHCP assigned IP from the BT HOME HUB of 192.168.1.3 FingBox choose a random IP address from the DHCP range… sigh

most upsetting :-) the only solution is to go back into the BT HOME HUB find FingBox and set its address to my desired address of 192.168.1.3 save changes and reboot the BT HOME HUB

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it so FingBox can have a static IP address and set via the FingBox app

yours moi