LG TV WebOS creating open Access Point

Hello,
My 2019 LG TV with ThinQ and WebOS 4.x is creating an open (unprotected) wifi access point that I can see on my iPhone, as well as that turns up in a Fing scan. It has a private IP, but it's still visible. In the Fing scan it has a Google trademark of "Google ChromeCast." My TV is using my home network as its connection for streaming, etc.

This unprotected access point seems like a risk. I've tried all manner of things in LG's ThinQ and also the Google Assistant and I can't find a way to protect the WebOS (or the Assistant.) I could block ports but my research tells me the WebOS is necessary for me to do streaming with various companies, and that's all I do with this TV is stream, I don't have cable.

My question: how risky is it to have this unprotected AP running on my TV when my TV is also connected to my home network?
Thanks,
Michael

Best Answer

• JustinC
    JustinC Member Posts: 2
    First Answer First Comment
    Accepted Answer

Your ISP will block most connections through your modem. You can block LAN devices from connecting to each other also through your wifi router interface if your using one. If using a wifi AP also you would have to actually change settings to allow connections on your LAN unless your using old wifi protocols like WPS or someone is using a deauther and tricking you into reconnecting to try and steal your password but that's no small feat to accomplish on newer WiFi standards. Your protected on your local network. By default your modem/router will block all connections from WAN. Don't open ports to WAN that use the default ports. Change the port from default values if your using open NAT for gaming. You also can access your wifi router GUI through your ip address sign in and check security monitoring or firewall monitoring to look for odd connections or see who what and when someone was connected to your LAN.

SleepsWithBears

Answers

• SleepsWithBears
    SleepsWithBears Member Posts: 3
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    Thanks! When you say "Don't open ports to WAN that use the default ports" you don't mean 80 and 443 etc do you?

I took my phone off my home network and joined the WebOS AP and it did not let me access any internet resources. It is also protected by a firewall according to Fing. So I guess it's pretty well secured by the developers. Still, it's pretty ugly sitting out there, and it's on the same hardware that my network is on. That all seems kind of lame on the face of it but I guess the answer is in the details.
  • webwolf
    webwolf Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Anniversary 5 Likes
    ✭✭

VLANS are great, but hardly any consumer tech supports it well enough to actually work so it's not really a viable option.

I've tried it across my network and it falls over because the router can't handle vlan tags. It's not a cheap router, the mesh works great and I'm not paying to upgrade just to get vlans working.

I suspect mostly this stuff is a case of nobody reads the manual. And it's not made really clear even in the menus about what these technologies actually do!

• SleepsWithBears
    SleepsWithBears Member Posts: 3
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    I'm using HomePass by Plume through my SmartThings hub, and it offers guest network options. I've found clues https://www.reddit.com/r/Plume/comments/8w10kn/question_about_plume/ that Plume supports VLAN tagging, and the Plume app does say my SmartThings hub is in Auto(Bridge) mode and that I can give users on my guest network access to devices I select on my home network, so it sounds like it supports VLAN tagging. I'll be experimenting and will report back, but does anyone have any experience or thoughts on the degree of security Plume guest networks deliver?

For the record, here is a link about WebOS that was useful.
    https://dfarq.homeip.net/what-is-webos-on-a-tv/
    webwolf2clfrwrds
  • webwolf
    webwolf Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Anniversary 5 Likes
    ✭✭

Could also be setting up routes from the guest WiFi network to the individual devices. See if you can enable it and check the routing tables to see if it's working that way over VLANs.