Edit device details when a device joins the network

cjbrookercjbrooker Member Posts: 3
First Comment Photogenic
When a new device joins my network I get a notification through the app which is awesome. However, I'd like to edit the device details (e.g. give it a custom name) when I accept the device on to the network.

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,206
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @cjbrooker
    You can click on the device from the device list and then you can change the name or do other device customization according to your requirement. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • cjbrookercjbrooker Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic

Thanks.

The workflow I'm thinking of is:

New device joins the network

Notification prompts to accept our decline the device

Accepting gives the option to edit/rename the device

This saves the extra step of finding the newly added device in the list which can be difficult when they are given obscure names. I think this would improved this feature substantially.

Robin
  • beckersmbeckersm Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    After I rename a device and save it the new name goes away and isn’t being retained.  
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,206
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    beckersm said:
    After I rename a device and save it the new name goes away and isn’t being retained.  
    Can you share the screenshot of the steps you are taking or if possible a video so I can investigate? thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • beckersmbeckersm Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    I discovered why it happens. I have two Wireless Access Points with the same WiFi network name. I created names under WAP #1 but then switched to WAP #2 and the names were gone. Once I switched back to WAP #1 all the names reappeared.  
    Robin