CLOSED: What do you think of the Fing community categories?

Comments

• MDavideMDavide Member Posts: 51
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary First Answer
    ✭✭✭
    Only thing seems to miss is about firmware updates of fingobx. But can be nested inside Fingbox section. 
    Davide
    Stu
  • magptmagpt Member, Beta Tester Posts: 15
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Do we already have a beta testing category? I am using the fing beta app but couldn't find this category...
  • NSXNSX Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Founder
    ✭✭
    @magpt I like that. @VioletChepil , how can one join the beta test team?
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @MDavide we've got those here: in release, firmware updates, beta testing links etc. You can follow the thread to get alerts on it too! https://community.fing.com/categories/announcements

Community Manager at Fing

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @NSX I suggest for now to follow this thread: https://community.fing.com/categories/announcements and today we put out our first Android beta testing link here: https://community.fing.com/discussion/412/fing-app-android-beta-test#latest

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @magpt follow this thread here: https://community.fing.com/categories/announcements  And I just posted our first beta testing link today: https://community.fing.com/discussion/412/fing-app-android-beta-test#latest 

magpt
  • NSXNSX Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Founder
    ✭✭
    Thanks @VioletChepil.  Looking forward to a future iPhone beta announcement.
    VioletChepil
  • rgagnergagne Member Posts: 5
    5 Likes Founder Photogenic First Comment
    ✭✭
    I love that fing for the most part you set it and forget it
    I mean that in the greatest sense
    you get your reports but you can set it up on a network and not worry about it taking anything down

thank you
    PoohHronosVioletChepil
  • MiloMilo Member Posts: 9
    Founder Photogenic First Comment
    ✭✭
    I especially like the "Best of…" heat map.
    I will second the request to move (or dupe) the Leave a Comment box to the top of the list.
    The only additions might be to have a Regulatory category for folks to discuss network snooping laws around the world and in different industries and maybe a Projects category about what people are doing with the products.
    VioletChepil
  • tehCoopstehCoops Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    I think the categories are fine.
    VioletChepil
  • KevlarKevlar Member Posts: 6
    Photogenic Founder First Comment
    ✭✭

I think so too.

The meaning of life is... to give life meaning!!
  • CJBCJB Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    First Anniversary Founder Photogenic First Comment
    ✭✭
    I like the site and also think the categories are good.  I appreciate that fing continues to improve their product and services. Thanks.
  • StuStu Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    First Anniversary Founder Photogenic First Comment
    ✭✭
    I like the site, and the categories are (generally) good, but it can still be challenging to find info, sometimes...
  • JedJed Member Posts: 5
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Founder
    ✭✭
    I'd agree that things look really good so far, and I was pleased with the posting/reply capabilities.  If you are taking special requests I'd add that as a relative lightweight in computer security/networking/etc., I'd love to see a monthly deeper dive into an area that Fing normally covers (Domotz, digital fencing, etc) where we can learn a little more than we can from the manual and maybe talk about it amongst ourselves. 
    Marc
  • TechDudeTechDude Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    ✭✭
    Is there anyway to search the Categories or Discussions for an answer?
  • MiloMilo Member Posts: 9
    ✭✭
    I want to add that I'm really pleased that the comment text is in the emails sent! Saves so much time not having to follow the hyperlink for every post (unless I want to respond, etc.).
  • IITSIITS Member Posts: 6
    5 Likes Founder Photogenic First Comment
    ✭✭
    Looks great, maybe ideas for development of an app that utilitises the Fingbox? (is there an API available for that?? if not should there be?)
    VioletChepil
  • LeeLee Member, Beta Tester Posts: 22
    10 Comments Name Dropper Founder 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    My email was flooded today with new posts from the Community! Which is a good thing. I assume it's because of the deadline for the Founder's badge. I'll admit I've not been online for several days because I've been sick and am now catching up with work. But I did take the time to start a discussion about TeamViewer. Not sure how many, if any, Fing users also use TeramViewer, but my TeamViewer account recently got flagged as being a commercial or professional account and I am wondering in Fing might have triggered it!
    pwmeekVioletChepil
  • Chris_1Chris_1 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    Founder First Comment Photogenic
    ✭✭
    How about another level under Devices & Security for specific types of device ie SmartTV, Cams, PC, Mobiles etc
    pwmeekVioletChepil
  • cjohlandtcjohlandt Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
    5 Likes Founder First Comment Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I think the combination of categories and tags is a great approach.  Categories can sometimes be too limiting and it's not always clear where something belongs.  Leveraging tags makes it easy to post, sort, and search.  Looking forward to watching the community expand and the growth of one of my favorite network tools.
    VioletChepil
  • mozarellamozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 127
    100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Likes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    @Lee i'm also using teamviewer and fingbox. Teamviewer also notified me to tell that it should be commercial usage of teamviewer. well i'm using free version for private reason and commercial version in office for office-usage. I'm working in a german beer brewery and our sales team is placed all over in germany. So we need to support them over teamviewer. commercial usage? We don't write invoice because of teamviewer usage, but we r a firm. So we have bought teamviewer license for really a lot of money. At home, i want to use the latest version of teamviewer to see what's new and if it's really needed to buy new expensive version in office. Sometimes i'm looking to my office's pc, and this is commercial usage like teamviewer understand. But at home, i'm private person. Teamviewer is also limiting access through versions, so i can't use the commercial lower version to have a check at my private higher version of teamviewer.
    versions issues and other disadvanteges are making the supporting-live much more difficult. So i'm looking for alternative software for supporting our sales-people. Does anybody know a similar software for this case? anydesk seems to be sth like that, but not yet stable and smooth version.
    VioletChepil
  • FerlautoFerlauto White Plains, NYMember Posts: 53
    25 Agrees 25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    I created a tag in my first post called, "Fing Use Cases," which I think could be a discussion category all on its own.  Would help you understand more succinctly what people are doing with your products right now.
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    All I realize that you are being likely taken down with alerts from this thread. It's closing up tomorrow and I do apologize in advance. Next time I will definitely be asking for DMs for badges etc. Thanks a lot for your patience and you can review your alert settings here: 
    This is mine: https://community.fing.com/profile/preferences/VioletChepil
    Yours is: https://community.fing.com/profile/preferences/yourusername

• JackJack Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    TechDude said:
    Is there anyway to search the Categories or Discussions for an answer?
    Yes there is a search button at the top and bottom or each page
  • pwmeekpwmeek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 138
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    All I realize that you are being likely taken down with alerts from this thread. It's closing up tomorrow and I do apologize in advance. Next time I will definitely be asking for DMs for badges etc. Thanks a lot for your patience and you can review your alert settings here: 
    This is mine: https://community.fing.com/profile/preferences/VioletChepil
    Yours is: https://community.fing.com/profile/preferences/yourusername
    Properly, I don't have permission to view your preferences, but oddly, when ...[ nevermind ]
    Duh. Of course I don't have permission to view (the nonexistent, or possibly null to prevent someone from registering it) yourusername's notification settings either. 
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
  • MirekmalMirekmal Member, Beta Tester Posts: 68
    10 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    OK, better late than never ;-) Just learned about this community and I'm impressed...  Excellent start of this community, giving us all good impression on how big this small box really is!
    Regarding selection of Categories... hope I did not missed this reading through several pages, but I'd suggest to:
    - split app category (or have subsection) into real application and web interface on app.fing.io
    - have dedicated section for integrations (for things like IFTTT, Domotz or any other coming, hopefully. Not sure what would be the best place for it though... under Connected Technology?
  • tx_hermittx_hermit Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    5 Likes Founder First Comment Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I don't know if the Fing CLI is going to be discussed in this community, but having a developer related section could prove popular as this whole thing matures.

I have a feeling that most of the users here aren't even aware of the existence of the CLI version, which is kind of a shame. It has great potential and is very scriptable. It is not an Nmap replacement, but is interesting and easy for newcomers to utilize.
    VioletChepilMarcBrycecjohlandt
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @tx_hermit this is interesting. Let me ask the team here about this! Definitely we have lots of good docs on it here: https://help.fing.com/article-categories/fing-cli/
    Also we're working on PC/Mac apps in the roadmap: https://community.fing.com/discussion/89/the-fing-roadmap/p1

Hronos
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    tx_hermit said:
    I don't know if the Fing CLI is going to be discussed in this community, but having a developer related section could prove popular as this whole thing matures.

I have a feeling that most of the users here aren't even aware of the existence of the CLI version, which is kind of a shame. It has great potential and is very scriptable. It is not an Nmap replacement, but is interesting and easy for newcomers to utilize.
    If Fing decides to share the code to some extent, or allow developers to 'mod' it, that would make a lot of sense to have a section dedicated for that discussion and troubleshooting.
    Great suggestion!
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes @pwmeek for you would be:
    https://community.fing.com/profile/preferences/pwmeek
    I used yourusername (as a placeholder) I thought to help but perhaps was not clear enough! 

This discussion has been closed.