Best network setup for smart home devices /IOT Conventional router or mesh?

NavekNavek Member Posts: 9 ✭✭

So for a while now I have been using googles whole home mesh WiFi system it dose exactly what It says you get whole home WiFi with semless trensitiin between nodes, management of your devices is simple and straight forward and it's self repairing. It allows for IP reservation and port forwarding rules but that's about it for what configuration settings you have.

Now thats becomes an issue when we get into the world smart homes, for example my August lock for example is bridged to the internet via my doorbell cam. The doorbell cam is not compatible with 5g, so I had to use a 2. 4 exstnder so It would have a stable & usable connection to actually use it as intended.

I AM allsoa huge DIY guy and use the Esp8266 wemos d1min and MODEMCU ESP8266 dev boards with adruino. Aswell as using the ST_ANYTHING integration to work with my smartthings ecosystem, normally have no issue connecting them but it ends up being alot if devices on my network polling and so on.

I am not sure if I have Even noticed any diferance in changes to the quality and/or my networks ability to handle so much continuous traphic . I have however in a normal router exstnder type style setup noticed it without question

things like speaker groups stayting in sync or skipping , and that can get really annoying with the google mesh I have had no issue like that. I am now looking In to Netgears Orbi mesh wifi system. Maybe have a little more Control?

I have heard really great things about ubiquity system but sure what direction I will end up takeing

plz describe your network setup with pros and cons, what you have done to circumvent your particular issues pertaining to smart home and the IOT , and also your future plans for your network?

VioletChepil

Comments

• GlenBo84GlenBo84 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭✭
    I currently use Linksys VELOP Mesh Wi-Fi and i would say its been ok ... BUT as of the other day they rolled out a new firmware which i must say so far has been impressive. 
    The nodes now have better control over what node a device uses. Also now has better self healing and strongest signal route.

Even throughput seems to have improved.... Fingers crossed this a great and stable update !
    SeaoneNavek
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 2,232 admin
    I've just promoted this post. hopefully we'll get some more responses on here too :) 

Community Manager at Fing

Navek
  • BatraDBatraD Member Posts: 4
    we recently upgraded from a Netgear Orbi mesh system to a Unifi controller based with 3 APs to improve coverage around the home. Not cheap, but one of the best investments.
    Now I'm trying to figure out how to split the devices into different VLANs for IP cameras, IoT, home and Guest and maybe a separate one for the Networking gear (router, APs, managed switches..) the only issue is the Fing box only works with one Network, so either i buy one box for each subnet/VLAN or decide what i want to monitor...
    Jon_IrishNavekVioletChepil
  • AltasAltas Member Posts: 2

I also use Unifi Wlan/Network equipment

you need a unifi switch to manage vlans with the other products.

AldereteNavekVioletChepil
  • Jon_IrishJon_Irish Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    I too like the Ubiquity UniFi system. It gives you a lot of flexibility, but it does require some networking knowledge. If you are looking for more of a "plug-and-go" solution, take a look at their AmpliFi gear.
    NavekVioletChepil
  • nexusnetnexusnet Member Posts: 18
    We also use Ubiquiti UniFi mesh WiFi for a network that supports our farm, a tech business on the property and our home, also on the property. Yes to @Jon_Irish that it is not for the casual user. Network skills are required to configure and manage it effectively, even though setup can be deceptively simple.
    My primary issue with UniFi is that the security gateway is less sophisticated (in terms of software features exposed to the SDN UI) than our openWRT-based Turris Omnia router. The UniFi USG is needed, however, to have comprehensive visibility to and management of the UniFi SDN. The Omnia, however, makes one heck of a load balancer for managing multiple Internet hot spots (that we need to use bc "real" Internet service hasn't reached all parts of our rural county yet...)
    For anyone seeking a less tech-skills-demanding mesh, Ubiquiti does offer a consumer mesh WiFi product line that would be worth considering.
    AldereteNavekVioletChepil
  • PoohPooh Member Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TBH, any decent Mesh system should be fine. I currently have 3 Eero's which I got mainly because I got them for an insanely good price (as in 50% off!) and i've not looked back.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    NavekVioletChepil
  • RomulusRomulus Member Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    I recently had to help someone install a "MeshForce" mesh system. Installation was very easy and the system seems to get great ratings on Amazon. It's also very cheap ($200 for 3 nodes)

Downside is there is so little configuration options. DHCP server can't set devices to have reserved IP addresses, can't set an IP address range for the DHCP allocations, can't even turn off the DHCP server! So if you need a fixed IP address you are pretty much screwed.

I "think" I might be able to work around it by putting in a bogus port forwarding setting, as it must surely fix the device to an IP to be able to manage that.

This seems to be a trend with the mesh systems from what I have read, very little in the way of advanced options. This is why I like my Asus mesh so much, you don't give up much in terms of advanced options.
    NavekVioletChepil
  • RWildRWild Member Posts: 10
    I have two LANs in the house, each with its own Fingbox and at least one wired/wireless router set up as an access point.  The Internet connection for one LAN is five times as fast as the other so all my IoT stuff connects wirelessly to the slower LAN.  My grand plan was to put them in their own VLAN but, after buying sufficient smart switches, I discovered that consumer routers that support VLANs are hard to come by and that each VLAN would need its own Fingbox.  Oh well, the current set up works well enough.
    VioletChepilNavek