Different Device Information

ChuckWhiteChuckWhite Member Posts: 37
10 Comments Photogenic
edited October 2020 in Fing App
I get different information for devices on the network when selecting View under my name in the section top of the Home Screen versus when I select Scan for Devices under the network name in the second group of functions. In the first case, the MAC address is displayed and in the second case it says "Not Available". Why the difference? I have Private Address deselected on all my iOS devices. 
I am running iOS14.0.1 on my iPad and iPhone and the latest version of the Fing app.
Given the Fing issues with iOS14, this makes it harder to keep track of my devices. I'll see an instance of, for example my iPhone, listed as Blocked and says "Multiple IP Addresses" for the blocked instance with a name that includes my internet provider, but there is also a valid instance of the iPhone. 

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,365
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @ChuckWhite, moving this to the Fing app thread for relevance.  Tagging @Robin from Fing to see if he has any ideas.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,206
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @ChuckWhite
    Do you have location permissions enabled for the Fing app? Also, if you run scan on Fing desktop, does it produce the same results?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • ChuckWhiteChuckWhite Member Posts: 37
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I couldn't find any place to enable location.  My MacBook app (2.2.2) is now misbehaving. The window is blank. I have closed and restarted the app and it comes up the same way and I reinstalled it from the App Store and is still comes up this way.

The screen caps below are from my iPad:
    The first two images are the screen that appears with I select Scan for Devices in the second box on the main screen. I scrolled down to show all the devices which are shown in the second picture. Note the 8 Generic devices which are completely unknown to me. These don't appear in the third picture which is a screen cap for the screen that appears when I select my View in the top box on the main screen. I just checked this list again and the Generic devices are now grayed out and my watch has a different IP address.
    Also, I'm guessing that since I believe when Apple Watches are within range of an iPhone, they don't use wireless, which may be why it appears as "chucksaplewatch.hsd1.co.comcast.net' versus the name I gave it. On the screen below, my Yamaha RX-V685 preamp has a different name then in the third screen, which says Living Room which is listed as the UPnP Name under the device detail. This is the "Network Name" I entered when setting up the preamp settings.
    I entered a name and location in the Device Detail page which appears when I select Scan for Devices in the second box on the main page so it appears that names I enter there don't apply under the View button of the top window. I don't understand the difference between these two "views" of my network I guess. I think this the root cause of the differences I see for the two view of the network. Is there a reason for it to be this way?  It is confusing for a non-network savvy person like me.

I hope you can make sense of all of this.

Thanks,

Chuck

2nd page

Devices on top box on my screen when I click View:

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,365
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You can find the location setting under iOS’s OS settings, scroll down to Fing, then confirm its set to at least while using.  See screenshot below.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    10 Comments Photogenic
    It is set to Always on my iPad and While Using on my iPhone. I mostly access it using my iPad. 
    admin
    Hi @ChuckWhite
    There are two things which I want to address.
    For blank screen on Macbook, Can you please check under Activity monitor if multiple Fing helpers are running and if you can quit them and then restart your fing desktop then it will work fine.
    For Fing app as I can see from the screenshots, the first two screenshots are from the scan by Fing app and the 3rd screenshot is from Fingbox.
    If you are using Fingbox please always open the Fingbox network and then look for the devices as they will be the most accurate one. The one from the Fing app will work on best effort basis as apple does not allow Fing app to read MAC address.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Thanks. There were two helpers running. I closed the Fing app and bth helpers went away. When I started Fing again, two helpers appeared and the window is still blank. I force quit one of the helpers, closed the app then restarted it. Same result. When I close the app, both helpers disappear. Seems like a bug since I've had this issue off and on for the past couple years. 
    The labeling in the iOS app does not make the distinction clear between the Fing app and the Fingbox. Both are under the header of my network name. In fact the top box has an icon of the Fing box device to the left of View so I would expect that one to be from the Fing box. And both snow the MAC address though in different places. Maybe make this distinction clearer? I think I did the screen caps from my Mac. But since the Fing app won't run on my Mac right now I can't verify the difference between the MacOS app and the iOS app in this regard.

Thanks as always for your help and support. 

admin
    Thanks @ChuckWhite

To address the blank screen, Can you please follow these commands on the terminal and let me know of the result? 

• Command 1: /usr/bin/pgrep fingagent 

• Command 2: sudo lsof -nP -iTCP:48080 -sTCP:LISTEN 

On running the 2nd command, it will ask for a password and you need to enter the login password of your MacBook  

Also, after running the first command, it will return one number. Please add the same number at the end of the 3rd command and then reboot your device and see if the issue persists or not?

- Command 3: sudo kill -9 number_by_CMD1 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I got two numbers: chuckwhite$ /usr/bin/pgrep fingagent

157 and 1502 

Command 2 : COMMAND    PID USER   FD   TYPE             DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME

fingagent  157 root   24u  IPv4 0x770fd6372321a7f1      0t0  TCP 127.0.0.1:48080 (LISTEN)

fingagent 1502 root   24u  IPv4 0x770fd6372321a7f1      0t0  TCP 127.0.0.1:48080 (LISTEN)

Running command 3 with 157 get no results which I think is correct. Running it with 1502 gave a "no such process" result.

Rebooting now.

10 Comments Photogenic
    Rebooted and the app screen is now populated but I notice there are still two helpers running.
    admin
    Perfect @ChuckWhite
    Thanks for troubleshooting with me. If you still get the blank screen, please let me know of the exact O.S version you are using? 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Screen is good. Running 10.15.7
    Robin
    admin
    Screen is good. Running 10.15.7
    Can you check running the features you want and if everything is okay now or not? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Seems like it, though every single device under the Device list in has a ? mark meaning it is unrecognized, although I'm fairly sure I have gone through the list. Most are set to Manual because to go through the list and do all those QR codes takes a lot of time that I don't want to spend. The device is recognized in the Type/Bran/Model etc. line so don't know why it isn't recognized. I don't like ? symbols showing up next to my devices. :) Even the Fingbox has a ? next to it.  

How do I delete a device that I no longer have? I select it then click Delete, but it still shows up in the list.

Thanks,

Chuck
    admin
    If the device is online then it will return. If the device is offline only then you can delete it either from Fing desktop or Fing mobile app/web app after selecting the Fing desktop network.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I trashed the device because it is no longer working. I deleted it, hit Refresh and it showed up again. See below. I can assure you it is not on my network. I disposed of it at an electronics recycler.

admin
    Can you click on (?) icon and accept it and then try to delete and then run the scan again for devices?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Not sure what you mean by accept. I'm on the MacOS app. I can Edit it, Delete it, Recognize it and see events,  I tried Recognize and it says "not n my network anymore", which is true. :) I have clicked Delete and Remove It several times and it keeps appearing after a Refresh. It's not a big deal for me, but it seems like a bug so just letting you know about it.

Thanks again for you help.
    admin
    Thanks @ChuckWhite
    I will investigate this and get back to you. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Robin, 
    The Squeezebox is no longer shown on on my iPad so maybe it just takes a while for it for Find to make it disappear?
    But now I notice a different issue. On my Mac, When I click See Full Report under Your Connectivity Health, the following screen never populates. I quit the app (ver2.2.2) and restarted it and same result. Activity monitor shows two helpers. Tried the Port Scan tool using fing.com and google.com and no results. Tried these tools as well and no results on the screens: Ping, Trace Route, DNS Lookup, DHCP Discovery, Wi-Fi Scan and DNS Benchmark and get no results. Just the tool name and explanation text at the top of the page.
    Rebooted the FingBox and the Mac App is back to the blank screen as before. 
    I'll try the /usr/bin/pgrep fingagent and sudo lsof -nP -iTCP:48080 -sTCP:LISTEN commands at some point but figure I'll leave you with this information and wait. I can live without the FingBox app on myMac. It is working fine on my iPad and iPhone so don't think it's the box it self. 

Thanks again.
    admin
    Thanks for letting us know @ChuckWhite
    Can you please try to run Fing desktop under Safe mode and then check if all feature works fine or not? If it works fine, then maybe there is some application which is blocking Fing desktop from working.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Restarted in Safe Mode and Find worked fine. Started in normal mode and it still was properly. Closed Fing then opened apps I normally have open one by one closing and reopening Fing each time and still Fing works fine. Now, there is only one Fing Helper open while yesterday there were two so I think this is the root cause. Don't know what is causing that second helper to open.
    admin
    Thanks Chuckwhite. I am glad everything is working fine now.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Ok, this is interesting. When I connect to my old MacPro and share it's screen, which is my normal setup, I get a second Fing helper. I've tried restarting without connecting to the McPro but I still get that second helper. For now, the Fing app is still working ok even with this second helper running.
    Since you're been so helpful, just signed up for the Premium subscription. 
    Robin
    admin
    Thanks for this trust @ChuckWhite
    If you have multiple screen then multiple Fing helpers is normal.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Logged out and logged back in for the Premium features, and the problems I posted yesterday have returned:
    When I click See Full Report under Your Connectivity Health, the following screen never populates. I quit the app (ver2.2.2) and restarted it and same result. Activity monitor shows two helpers. Tried the Port Scan tool using fing.com and google.com and no results. Tried these tools as well and no results on the screens: Ping, Trace Route, DNS Lookup, DHCP Discovery, Wi-Fi Scan and DNS Benchmark and get no results. Just the tool name and explanation text at the top of the page.
    Closed the app and restarted it and the app window is blank. When I was running some tools I saw changes in the %CPU time in the activity monitor for Fing and the two Helpers. After restarting the app and getting the blank screen, there is <0.2% CPU and the CPU time is not changing. I closed all other apps and no change.

Restarted in Safe Mode and Fng worked properly. Quit and restarted in normal mode and Fing is working.

Hope some of this helps. :)
    admin
    Thanks @ChuckWhite
    I will investigate this and I will get back to you once I have found the root cause. Thanks again.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)