Email > Fing Alert > Notifications > (network) is in range

Frotz
Frotz San Jose, CAMember Posts: 18
10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
edited October 25, 2020 in Fingbox #1
I have a mesh network (eero; base + beacon).  I want to know about outages but I don't want to know that my beacon (which has the same name as the base) is "in range".  That is, for my network, value-less and I would like the ability to exclude this specific message.

Best Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,885
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    #2 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Frotz

The reason you may be experiencing this issue in relation to alerts for specific devices, is that you might have changed the state change alert from default value to a different value. The usual default value is 20 minutes. Sometimes, when the device is not in use, it may go to sleep mode and then if the state change is set to the lowest value of 1 or 2 minutes, it can be recorded as offline or out of range. So, when it returns back from the sleep mode, it will be marked as 'Online' and thus providing you with an alert. If the state change alert value is set to more than 20 minutes, then until that time period is finished, that device will still be marked 'Online' and only after that time period it will be recorded as 'Offline', thus providing you with an alert. 

In order to change the alert settings, please click on the device from the device list and then scroll down to 'State Change Timeout(auto)' . You can then set the value to at least 20 minutes. This will resolve your issue.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Frotz
    #3 Accepted Answer
    COGNITION PROBLEM:
    * Recognition of which Fing App icon (navigation) is the FingBox is muddled due to relative sizes.
    * IPAD: Fing App > Home > Network
      - BAND 1 - Profiles and tiny (relatively speaking) fing-box icon / centered.
      - BAND 2 - Unknown Access Point => Huge (relatively speaking) Scan for Devices button.
      - BAND 3 - Comcast (ISP) => Huge (relatively speaking) Test Speed now button
    * I view these as minimalist UX efforts that go to great lengths to make the obviousness of widget controls fade into the background more successful than the actual function of being usable because it is obvious enough.
    * These cognitions set the threshold of attention given to the UI as "casual" rather than "technical".  Now that I know, I'll not make the same mistake again, but for first time fingbox owners 

UX ANALYSIS:
    * The FingBox view is not vertically lined  with the other "obvious" "click-here" activation widgets.
    * The FingBox view icon should be in a left-justified button of equal size to the other two obvious buttons as the icon and text can easily fit into an activation button / widget.

VERIFICATION:
    * As indicated far above, the FingBox based Notification controls are listed as expected and that gives me the ability to control the availability thresholds / intervals.

UX RECOMMENDATIONS / SUGGESTIONS:
    1. In the Fing App > Device > Notification section, provide a FingBox button to view the device FROM the FingBox perspective (e.g. in the "Manage this device" band).
    2. In the Fing App > Home, make the FingBox view look the same as the FingApp Discovery button and embed the Fingbox icon inside the button.
    3. In the Fing App > Device > Notification section, suggest (since you know) that more controls can be found in the FingBox view (see #1 in this suggestion set).
    4. All interfaces aim at the consumer with nods to prosumers (technical people) and this makes total sense, but exposing the FingBox at multiple points in these user interfaces and allowing the user to mistakenly pick the wrong starting assumption and then correct that assumption at lower levels by "stepping sideways" (from Fing App to Fingbox views) will help the consumer get to things on their own rather than being lost from the first and ultimately unrecognized first decision point.

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,719
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Frotz, I have moved this thread to the Fingbox area for relevance.  
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Frotz
  • Frotz
    Acknowledged.  Will attempt to get to that today / tomorrow.
  • Frotz
    iPad: Unable to find Stat Change Timeout (auto) on target device.  Notifications > Alert me when state changes > No State Change Timeout(auto) in Freemium UI.
    Desktop: Found to find State Change Timeout (auto) on target device.  Premium capability.  This is the only user interface which tells me this is an up-charge.  All others silently hide the capability from me.
    Web: Unable to find State Change Timeout on target device.  No UI.

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,719
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Frotz, this is where it should be on a device, via clicking on it from the device details...  I'm not premium and I get access to whatever is included as a Fingbox owner.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Frotz
    I'm an Indie-Gogo FingBox investor.  I vaguely remember this functionality, but I suspect my account has been changed over the years to not show it to me.
    On my iPad / Fing App, I see the following for a device:

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin

Frotz said:
    I'm an Indie-Gogo FingBox investor.  I vaguely remember this functionality, but I suspect my account has been changed over the years to not show it to me.
    On my iPad / Fing App, I see the following for a device:

I want you to check if you are correctly signed in to your Fingbox account or not. Please go to All network from Home tab and then check if you are able to see the Fingbox network or not?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Frotz
    I'm confused.  Here is the state that I think we're at.
    PROBLEM STATEMENT:
    * I get emails.
    * Those emails go to the web UI.
    * I want to manage the issuance of those notifications.
    * The recommendation is to use a configuration to manage the state-change interval.
    * In my iPad / iPhone I see the reference to notifications, but I don't see that in the web application.
    * The suggestion is to verify that I am logged into my Fing Account.
    * I'm confused by this statement.
    * In my iPad, I see the attached image above.  If I'm not logged into my Fing Account, how would I see that image to capture it?  I went to iPad > Account > Settings > Add FingBox -- This validates that [email protected] is signed into that account.  (My FingBox is v1.)
    * In my iPhone, I see the recommended configuration state.
    * In the web UI, I do not see an option.

ANALYSIS:
    * The iPad code base is out of sync with the iPhone code base and that is very out of sync with the web UI.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
    * Because these interfaces are so out of sync, please indicate which interface we're talking about in your recommendations.
    * Providing Click paths so that users know how to get to the given screens.

To your question, I THINK I am logged into my Fing Account, but based on the conversation above, I'm still uncertain based on the uncertainty in your mind.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Sorry @Frotz for any miscommunication. We have not removed any feature so state change alert should be present if you are under fingbox network and if you select any device and if you scroll down, you will see the State change alert section as screenshot sent by Marc. If you are unable to see that then can you DM me the MAC address of the Fingbox so I can check and investigate? Thanks

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Thanks @Frotz for the detailed feedback. Hopefully it will be useful for other Fingbox users as well.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Frotz
  • Frotz
    NAVIGATION:
    1. Fing App / Fing Desktop > Home > click on the Fingbox icon (not bluntly obvious like the other widgets).  
    2. Navigate to the device in question
    3. Navigate to the Notifications section as described above.
    UX issue reported via my other discussion thread.