Fing Desktop / Fingbox Integration / macOS Catalina Compatibility

DocUpdateDocUpdate Member Posts: 7
First Comment Photogenic
edited November 2020 in Fing Desktop
I have been using Fing Boxes, Fing Apps and Fing Desktop since they were first released so am well versed in their design/operation. I have noticed that Fing Desktop is highly unstable on "macOS Catalina" (see below) as I note others have also reported on the forums but it seems more stable on "macOS Mojave" (latest version).

I have a single Mac Mini box that runs macOS Catalina only and this has Fing Desktop installed on it to monitor my networks / Fing Boxes. However, I have noticed that every night the Mac Mini crashes and in the morning it has rebooted. I have tried this on a second Mac Mini vanilla install and same symptoms. The reporting logs are the same as others have reported so I won't upload here. I am convinced that this is similar to symptoms I see with other network products interacting with macOS Catalina as these often cause it to crash. I have tried this Mac Mini with Mojave and it generally works well. 

Update (Nov 2020): Recently on my macOS Catalina Laptop it started hanging when you log in due to Fing Desktop taking control and crashing - this is resolved in you uninstall Fing Desktop.

My questions are:
1. Can we perhaps have the Fing Desktop app out of the MacOS dock as an app and popped into the System Bar as a menu icon / with a Service helper instead or as a widget in the sidebar (or both) as a dashboard?
2. Can we authorise the security settings once for the app once (not many times) for updates and then this quietly sits in the background rather than jumping up and down on the dock demanding login attention frequently.
3. Are you looking at the symptoms (as reported by others) on why Fing Desktop is crashing on macOS Catalina - evidence below.  I have currently uninstalled it from macOS Catalina and the Mac Mini has not crashed in 5 days. Note that on Mojave I get random freezes on occasions where a reboot usually fixes this.   
4. Rather than having different desktop networks to that of on the IOS mobile app/fingboxes and having to constantly merge these orphaned branches online can the Desktop App and Mobile App be assigned to a particular Fingbox network if you have purchased these devices. After that you only have a single branch (1 to 1 mapping with a Fingbox or if you have two networks with two devices then the same 1 to 1 mapping) ever listed on the website of your devices. 

Screenshots: 

Many thanks. 

Comments

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,760
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @DocUpdate
    To answer your questions:

1. Can we perhaps have the Fing Desktop app out of the MacOS dock and popped into the System Bar as a menu icon or as a widget in the sidebar (or both) as a dashboard?
    Answer: As of now, we have not implemented that but you can put this as a suggestion on the Fing desktop ideas category which can be reviewed by our developers for future versions.
    2. Can we authorise the security settings for the app once (not many times) for updates and then this quietly sits in the background rather than jumping up and down on the dock demanding login attention frequently.
    Answer: Can you elaborate on what security settings are you referring to as I am unable to understand it completely.
    3. Are you looking at the symptoms (as reported by others) on why Fing Desktop is crashing on macOS Catalina?  I have currently uninstalled it from macOS Catalina and the Mac Mini has not crashed in 5 days. Note that on Mojave I get random freezes on occasions where a reboot usually fixes this.   
    Answer: Unfortunately, upon investigation, we have found out that Fing Desktop is only compatible with O.S 10.13 and above. With earlier versions, it will not work. For Catalina, I need to investigate why is it crashing and I would require some information as what feature do you use when it gets crashed.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • DocUpdateDocUpdate Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 2020
    - Fing in menu bar > excellent please can you register this as a feature for the near future. 
    - Security can you elaborate > Every time that there is an update to Fing Desktop it asks for root password again so that it can install the update. I realise the reasons why this would be the case but it does get annoying - Norton and other tools do these installs quietly in the background once you authorise for the first time. Fing does not seem to remember this authorisation. 
    - Fing Desktop compatible with O.S 10.13 and above > I have now uninstalled Fing from both my MacBook Catalina (latest release) and my Mac mini (as I spoke of above) seeing as it is causing instability. After uninstalling both I have not exhibited the same symptoms any longer. 
    - Select Fingbox Network for Fing Desktop > I have spent a considerable amount of time now naming and sorting out both my Fingbox networks I have stored against my members account. It would be highly useful if you could select which Fingbox / Network you would like your Fing Desktop app to be assigned to rather than generating spurious new scans of the network at random internals - it does not seem to remember or discover what the actual names are as assigned in both my Fingboxes coverage my two separate networks. Surely this would be a good reason to have a Fingbox in the first place as opposed to just installing the Fing Desktop or Tablet app as it would then work alongside the app providing pretty good intelligence on your networks. It would also stop me having to constantly merge my network results to see what has changed or if there were intrusions - a major security feature I would suggest? 
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,760
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks for the detailed feedback and suggestions. I will surely pass this on to our developers for review. Thanks again
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    First Comment Photogenic
    I appreciate your comments - I have amended mine above and would be happy to work with your developers on these sort of features/updates since I am a paying member.
    Robin
    First Comment Photogenic
    Bump - see recent updates above.