Unable to activate

RedBulletRedBullet Member Posts: 24
10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
edited October 2020 in Fingbox
So, I got a new fingbox today. Connected it to my network switch. It's flashing green.
But I am unable to activate it. The app (current version on my pixel 4XL) does find it after repeated searching.
I only have the one network at home, and my phone is on it for sure. I see the fingbox on my network (router shows it leased an IP address to it)
For good measure, I disconnected the satellite hubs on my Synology Mesh wifi (so only main router wifi is on) and plugged fingbox directly into that. Still not found.
Any ideas?

Best Answer

• RedBulletRedBullet Member Posts: 24
    Accepted Answer
    OK! So I noodled around some more, eventually I got the box to come up green. And for kicks I tried to search for it with the app on my android tablet, and it found it! 
    But... the Configure button did nothing. It did seem like it was associated with my account OK, but I was a little concerned about the inability to configure from the tablet. 
    So... I did another reset. Interestingly when it came back up it was *STILL* associated with my account (which makes me think the reset process doesn't work)?
    Anyway, it's all blue now. Not sure if there any way for you to seen on your side if it's all good or not.
    Is there anything to actually configure? I couldn't see anything obvious on the desktop app, mobile app, or website.

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,369
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @RedBullet, from your description of your troubleshooting steps, I'm assuming you've already read this but just in case, see this thread...  https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/finding-your-fingbox/

One note is firewalls, do you have one running and could it be blocking the fingbox from communicating externally?  
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    edited November 2020
    Oh, yea. I do actually have a firewall setup (using Synology router). So, I created two rules one for fing -> all IPs and another for all IPs -> fing leaving all ports open TCP/UDP. For kicks I even disabled it.

I'm not sure what I missed.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Your screenshots, at least on my Mac, are unreadable.
    edited November 2020
    It basically shows what I said in my message Try this google link
    I'm not sure what the issue could be; everything on my network should be able to see everything else (as far as I can tell), and everything on my network can get to anything on the internet. It even shows up in my fing desktop app on my mac just fine.

What exactly is needed for my phone to be able to find and activate the fingbox? I think if I knew the specific details (protocols, ports, whatever) are being used maybe I can figure it out? Though I don't believe my router is preventing anything within my network, and internet access from any device

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    I’m including the port requirements for a Fingbox link if that helps, but your all open / all open rule should cover that.  Did you try that on the phone your using to configure it as well?

https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/firewall-compatibility/
    Marc said:
    ... Did you try that on the phone your using to configure it as well?
    Sorry, I did't understand that. Of course I did try searching for the box after the firewall rules were in place. As far as I can tell those ports are all for what the box needs for internet access, not intranet access. What's going on when my phone is searching for the device?
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I meant did you disable the rules against the phone your configuring from too.  Perhaps the phone is having trouble communicating enough to the box to activate it.
    I didn't, but I can try that. What exactly happening when it is searching? I know I can open a webpage on the device and get the homepage for it. so I know they see each other. I assume it is doing some broadcast and waiting for a response? Is there not any way for me to simply enter the IP address of the box and get going with it?
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Your mobile device has to communicate to it in order to get it going and that requires the app.  Try to set the rule for the phone and see if that helps.
    I know I can open my browser on my phone and get to the box, so I know it can connect at least with TCP & port 80 (presumably).
    So I added two additional rules for my phone just like I also have for the box itself. Still no luck
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’m tagging @Robin from Fing to see if he can help you out.

Thanks I appreciate it.
    So, I figured for good measure I'd do a complete reset and try again. I did the reset (let it flash white until it was solid while, then unplugged for a few seconds plugged it back in). But it is still solid white.
    So... I think tragically I took one step backwards!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No worries.  One way or another we will get this going.
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,213
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Marc for support.
    @RedBullet
    If the LED on Fingbox is blue then it means it is working fine. If you are still facing any issue then please DM me along with MAC address of the Fingbox. Thanks

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!