The timezone configuration seems to be very limited in choices.

klant77klant77 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
Photogenic
I'm in Denver, CO, USA, and when I go into set the time zone it only shows South American cities. New York is the only US city listed. I have gone and chosen Mexico City as it is UTC-7 (Standard Time), and UTC-6 (Daylight Savings), which luckily has Daylight Saving, so it shifts (almost) in sync with Denver. Can the list be expanded to at least 1 city in each timezone for each country?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,803
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Your seeing what I’m seeing so we are in agreement on it missing. Web site does not show Los Angeles while the mobile app does.

We need Fing to comment on why there is a difference between the products and the web and mobile apps.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    SteveCougar

Answers

• FrotzFrotz San Jose, CAMember Posts: 18
    10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
    Timezone settings seem sparse.  Specifically looking for America/Los_Angeles.  I see America/New_York, but not my tz database entry.  Since this is a drop-down, I can't select my preferred notification timezone.  This is an Account Preferences defect.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25
    Hey @Frotz, in the Fing mobile app there is indeed a los angles time zone.  I did confirm that on the web version there is none under notifications...  @Ciaran or @Robin , is the discrepancy by design or an oversite?

Feels like an account filtering problem for the free account.
    I have America/La Paz

And I have America/Lima

I do not have America/Los_Angeles or America/Lower_Princes.
    I do have America/Managua.
    I'm on MacOS Catalina and the options are a what appear to be a full list (it's very long) but on close inspection, key timezones are just missing.  Catalina itself doesn't use that list and so I have no easy way to justify.  All I can point to is the current tz database at IANA.org
    ftp://ftp.iana.org/tz/tzdb-2020d/zone.tab
    * US +340308-1181434 America/Los_Angeles Pacific

Read...  Then answer...
    I'll check my ipad and iphone when they finish they update installs.
    This report is from the Fing Account (website), where I have the problem.

Response-verified. 
    iPhone and iPad apps have America/Los_Angeles.  (For whatever reason I never look at my Fing Account from the iPhone / iPad.  America/Los_Angeles set on iPhone and verified on iPad.
    App > Account > Timezone > America/Los_Angeles
    App > Account > Notification Settings > No timezone information (expected) -- it has been moved up a level in the IOS app...

Problem-re-verified.  Website does not correlate to the app account configuration.
    PROBLEM LOCUS: website.
    www.fing.com > Fing Account > Profile > Account & Settings > Edit Notification Settings > Timezone
    www.fing.com > Fing Account > Profile > Account & Settings > No obvious Timezone setting at this level.
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,092
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks for the suggestion @klant77
    I will take this to our developers for review and if anything changes, I will update you as well. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • dhylandsdhylands Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    I have premium (so it's not a free thing) and on my desktop I can't see any pacific timezones. I'd normally use America/Vancouver, but I can't find any of the usual cities that show on the west coast. My desktop is also running on a Mac if that's relevant.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @dhylands , as far as I know, you can't set time zones in the desktop app.  It picks the ISP and location from the external IP address it finds and I'm assuming TZ from the local desktops setting.

@Marc sorry - I was confused and was using the web interface and not the desktop app.
    I took a screenshot to show exactly what I'm referring to. You can see that the last entry in America is America/Tortola

admin
    Thanks @Marc @Frotz @dhylands
    I have passed on this post to our developers for review and if some timezones are missing or if there are any discrepancies then it will be sorted. I will update you as soon as I have more information. Thanks

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Thanks.  For whatever reason I think web over mobile so I end up there furst, not mobile first.
  • FrederickBFrederickB Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited October 30
    I just signed up from premium and was trying to set my notifications timezone in the portal and cant find one that matches PST/PDT (ie Los Angeles)

Edit: I tried setting timezone in the android app, everytime I click the timezone button the app crashes.
  • dumserdumser Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    The web app only lists America/New York for North America. All timezones need to be available.
  • fingofingo Member Posts: 9
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    +1 Timezones are missing entries
  • UrbanHaggisUrbanHaggis Member Posts: 1
    After logging into the app.fing.com site and going into my profile -> Notification Settings my timezone is not listed as an option. 

You have America/Toronto but you do not have any listings for Atlantic Canada (e.g. Halifax) or for Newfoundland (e.g. St. John's).

admin
    Thanks, Everyone. 
    I have passed on this post to our developers for review and if some timezones are missing or if there are any discrepancies then it will be sorted. I will update you as soon as I have more information. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • SteveCougarSteveCougar Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment
    I am also missing "America-Los Angeles" in the web app. When I first logged on it said I was in Africa! ??????
    I assume this will be corrected in time. Until then I choose the ONLY North AMERICAN city listed: New York.
    You can set it correctly via the mobile apps and don't edit anything in the web interface until it's sorted out.
    It is also annoying that it disabled email notifications by default. Unfortunately Fing is not what it used to be. The fate of all companies once they get acquired. They start with nice products, geek friendly, then they get acquired and it's all over. We see it again and again with many products and small startups.
    admin
    Hi @fingo
    A number of people have been marking as spam fing notification/alerts emails coming mostly from Fingbox. This caused AWS to suspend our service over the weekend (some automatic monthly ISP report could have been missed by this). As an emergency measure, we updated all accounts of Fingbox users (non-premium) to have disabled mail notification.
    All users will see on their account.fing.com page that they are now on “Mobile-only” notifications, or “Disabled” if they have disabled push notifications as well. To restore, they must edit the mail notifications and put it to “A summary email with multiple events”, or any other option they prefer. The same changes can be performed via mobile app as well to enable the mail notification. I hope it clarifies your doubt. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • lov2krzlov2krz Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    @Robin I just updated my email preferences and was asked to set my time zone on Fing on the web.  There is only one US city on that list and none coincide with Los Angeles or San Francisco California.  I have the correct time zone set in the app but not the one associated with my email preferences and how and when to contact me from the website.  This needs to be fixed.
  • nweddlenweddle Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    +1 for missing any city that would provide Pacific Standard Time (PST) UTC-8 timezone.
    Diane_M
    edited November 2
    @Robin disabling the alerts for everyone is just a terrible way to address the issue!
  • AKGeekAKGeek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 0
    When trying to select my time zone, in Alaska, I am not seeing our time zone. Usually it will list as Anchorage or Juneau but did not see either.
    @Robin
    To fingo's point, the Email sent out should have an obvious "unsubscribe" link in the footer.  The "unsubscribe" link should take the user to THEIR notifications page on the web app (and the inherent inconsistency issues there).  The email should remind the user that THEY selected the email and guide them on how to turn it off (device-specifically as well as globally, which is why the "unsubscribe" link was suggested first).

PROBLEM RESTATEMENT:
    * Users who don't recognize the emails will consider them spam.
    * All emails should remind users where to control their device-specific notifications.
    * All emails should remind users where to control their global notifications.
    * All emails should include an "unsubscribe" link that should disable all notifications (because if they click on it they haven't read the mail-message at all and are just trying to get away from the notification "spam").

AGILE STORIES:
    * AS A fing-user I WANT email notifications to make it obvious how to manage the device-specific notification SO THAT I can selectively disable notifications for noisy devices in my network.
    * AS A fing-user I WANT email notifications to make it obvious how to manage global Fing notifications SO THAT I can globally manage my network notifications.
    * AS A disgruntled fing-user I WANT an unsubscribe link on all communication SO THAT I can make the noise stop.