Alerts on MAC Address or IP

MartynKMartynK Member Posts: 41
10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
edited October 2020 in Devices & Security
It seems the new iWatch connects and disconnects from the network all the time. This would not be a  problem if it always got the same IP and I could disable the alerts, but every now and then, if gets a different IP and I end up with multiple alerts as it connects and disconnects.
Looking at things, alerts are based on IP as when it gets a new IP that has been used by something else in the past, the alert setting is not remembered.
Is there any way to get around this problem by having alert settings based on a MAC address ?

Answers

• GaoGaoGaoGao Member Posts: 30
    10 Comments First Answer Name Dropper Photogenic
    I don't know about Fingbox but if you have control of your DHCP server the easy way will be to set an address reservation so your iwatch will always get the same IP address. This is what I am doing at home. 
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
  • MartynKMartynK Member Posts: 41
    Yes I do have control of my DHCP server, but it does really just cause another problem and defeats the point of DHCP, I have to start allocating out IPs to everything with just makes even more work.

If your router supports, increase the DHCP Lease Time. But address reservation is easy to set and solves many monitoring issues

Yes, I understand all these things, I user a WIndows 2019 DHCP server, but increasing the lease time, means various other settings will also stay a lot longer which I dont want. Hence I want to know if there is a way to alert by MAC as the is the unique device ID unlike IP.
    As mentioned I do not have a Fingbox, but according to the documentation for a Fingbox "A device is NEW when its MAC address has never been seen on the network.". Maybe your iwatch is doing MAC address randomization and this have nothing to do with the change of the IP address. 
    I am not sure if I really understand the Fingbox and your concern but having alerts for each change of IP address on a DHCP assigned network will be a real mess as this is dynamic by nature.
    Yes, I know this is a real mess, gotta say never been an issue in real terms until this new iWatch that seems to connect / disconnect all the time from the network. The iWatch is using the same MAC all the time, hence I just cannot understand the issue. Maybe a support call next.