Home Assistant and Fing - Access to local API

1235»

Comments

• prichardsondevprichardsondev Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 18
    I feel your pain... edge control is one of the most essential tools in IoT.
  • go_robot_gogo_robot_go Member Posts: 9
    5 Agrees 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited July 18
    @prichardsondev , That's cool and all, but it's also completely off-topic. This is about providing a local API through the existing Fingbox hardware, which people already own and use. This is about adding functionality to existing hardware. That you can accomplish something similar through an alternative means is interesting, but also entirely beside the point.
    smackie
  • prichardsondevprichardsondev Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 19

• IdroyIdroy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Photogenic

still no plans for local api support on the fingbox?

I am a early adopter, working in the professional IT Network sector.
    My Smarthome: Fingbox, Harmony, Fibaro HC2 (wireless sensors, plugs), IFTT, Sonos, IRobot, Echo DOTs, Echo Auto, Alexa App, Yonomi

• Ryan9000Ryan9000 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    +1 to see an API for Home Assistant especially since IFTTT is moving to a paid service. 
    smackie
  • McFrojdMcFrojd Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    +1 ! If you want to track more then 1 person using IFTTT you will have to pay for that service.
    And since local access (mqtt or some sort of API) is far more superior then having to rely on cloud services this must be an "must have" for anyone using a fingbox and runs a home automation system of some sort.
    smackieRyan9000
  • AGWAGW Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic First Comment
    Practically speaking, IFTT is a non-starter with its current charging structure. Is there any chance Fing will support MQTT brokers? Quite straightforward, very well trodden technology and (I see here) very popular with us users of Fingbox!

+++1

Kind Thoughts,

Andrew
  • MirekmalMirekmal Member, Beta Tester Posts: 68
    10 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Forget about Home Assistant and Fing integration as we all wish for. With API only available in application (not a fingbox) and subscription model it just does not make sense. What enthusiasts really want from Fing is not gonna to happen :-(
    DaveFiHarm
    Photogenic First Comment
    Why do you think it isn't going to happen? 
  • MirekmalMirekmal Member, Beta Tester Posts: 68
    10 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    This thread started over a year ago (along with few other asking for the same). For long time there was no official statement, then some voting for this functionality, some promises that they look at it, and finally it was introduced as paid option and only for desktop application application. To me it looks that a) it is too complex to be implemented on fingbox (or box is too limited in resources to provide such extra functionality), b) It is too much requested functionality, so Fing is not going to give it for free, but rather to monetize it via subscription model... Sorry, business is business...
    Aziel
  • AzielAziel Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    Yea, Fing is slowly trying to monetize us, I'm of the opinion there will be no new features that aren't behind a paywall, and it's hard to monetize something that's "built into" the device. Hence the API being baked into the desktop app, which makes 0 sense as it requires your desktop app to be open at all times (aka, what Fing was supposed to do...) and was clearly designed by a PM that has been told to drive up subscriptions at all costs.

Photogenic First Comment
    Ah. I remember Fing as a group of young people that wanted to change things. Looks like they sold out and/or the good guys moved on and the third rate middle-managers whose CVs consist only of things like '...increased YoY revenue by 5.5%...' have moved in.
    Like most people, I am prepared to pay well for good product - I just don't like knowing that they can up prices at any point when they have me dependant upon them.
    The good news is that the market is becoming more savvy - clumsy monetisation in the manner of Fing, Blink and IFTTT gets its comeuppance a lot sooner than previously. 
    Nothing Fing does is rocket science, let's look at the alternatives.

• RGN01RGN01 Member Posts: 43
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    Agreed. Read the Fingbox totally borked my network thread - mine is now a paperweight and a reminder not to buy into the hype!
    If I'd spent the circa £1500 I wasted due to my Fingbox on network kit and R&D I'd have had a much better network and a heck of a lot less frustration!

• DarrenHillDarrenHill Member, Beta Tester Posts: 23
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    We need the API now in the FingBox. 

IFTTT have just signed their own death warrant on my network, all is being ripped out and replaced by Home Assistant. And one of the issues is FingBox integration, so without an API that's in great danger of being ripped out and made redundant too.
    Harm
  • JasonSFJasonSF Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
    5 Agrees First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment
    ✭✭
    Another IFTTT user who is not going pro. Local api access would be great.
    Photogenic First Comment
    Clumsy monetisation indeed! They appear to have just pulled the ability to get alerts on new devices without a paid subscription - I had that switched on as a test and it is now unavailable - but I am still getting lots of alerts and cannot now switch it off!

dmertens
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,787
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @AGW , that feature has not been pulled from mobile w/ Fingbox.  I just checked on mine and its there...
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,787
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Screenshot.  I don't use the feature and have it disabled but did confirm I could enable it.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Photogenic First Comment
    You are quite right - I was looking at the Fing Desktop app and couldn't find the settings.  The mobile app works fine so it is just me forgetting that I must have set it up in the mobile app.
    Note to self: be less suspicious!

Kind thoughts,

Andrew
    Marc