Fingbox on Raspberry Pi

JohnJohn Member Posts: 108
25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Agrees
✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in Fingbox feature requests

Linked to the discussion on a Synology app, but is it feasibly possible to run fingbox application on a raspberry pi? Is there anything particularly special about what goes inside the fingbox or is it more about the software?

Anyone else find find this useful?

Tagged:
VioletChepilkltaylorMarcHronosJohnlredlefsenRichCreedyTheCustomCaveFingUserBelgarathdasNavyLudditusDarrenHill
9 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi there @John this is a good suggestion definitely.
    We have more immediate plans for PC/MAC Fing app versions as per out company roadmap. 
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/89/the-fing-roadmap#latest 
    Definitely we have thought about Fingbox versions for Linux, Raspberry, Synology but we don't have any concrete plans around that.
    I guess in the medium term we'll be focused on the PC/MAC launch. 
    This is definitely a good idea. And I've tagged this post as a featurerequest and let's see what others have to say too. 

Community Manager at Fing

JohnTheCustomCave
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with John, as I have both a Synology NAS as well as a Raspberry Pi that serves as my BBS and VPN provider.  An RPiapp would be ideal, cross-platform and honestly open Fing up to a large community base by including Linux.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    TheCustomCave
  • JohnJohn Member Posts: 108
    ✭✭✭
    I guess at this point one would need to pay for the application, or have it supported by ads as having taking away the fingbox takes away the revenue stream so its fair enough.   o:)
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,787
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    John said:
    I guess at this point one would need to pay for the application, or have it supported by ads as having taking away the fingbox takes away the revenue stream so its fair enough.   o:)
    The pay aspect is a nice idea.  Kind of like ad supported if that’s the way someone rolls, but give a pay option to remove the ads.  At the end of the day, I guess it comes down to whether its worth the time and expense to divert resources to code for the PI versus using those resources to enhance the app and Fingbox code.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m actually curious what the demographic a FingBox buyer is.  Are they the type who would roll their own and thus would move to the PI DIY or are they the plug and play type who would never build their own?  In one example you could enhance your user base, in the other you cannibalize your sales.
    JohnHronos
    ✭✭✭
    Marc said:
    I’m actually curious what the demographic a FingBox buyer is.  Are they the type who would roll their own and thus would move to the PI DIY or are they the plug and play type who would never build their own?  In one example you could enhance your user base, in the other you cannibalize your sales.
    I would love to know to.  I imagine anyone that wants to know the intricacies of their home network is the same customer that would tinker with DIY, automation, IOT, etc.. far from the plug and play user, but just a hunch!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    John said:
    Marc said:
    I would love to know to.  I imagine anyone that wants to know the intricacies of their home network is the same customer that would tinker with DIY, automation, IOT, etc.. far from the plug and play user, but just a hunch!
    I like this conversation.   I guess it might depend on why they bought it.  Fing touts, among other things, security and parental controls over a home network and while the people lured by this might be more advanced then most, they still might not be the PI DIY build types.  
    VioletChepilHronos
  • lredlefsenlredlefsen Member Posts: 6
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    +1 for Raspberry Pi!
    They are cheap, compact, and low-power, for always-on functionality.
    PC/Mac is high power, not always-on, etc.
  • TheCustomCaveTheCustomCave Member, Beta Tester Posts: 48
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose the catch here is that we're straying more and more toward the Domotz setup which is probably not really where Fing would want to head with the consumer product.
    Happy to be corrected but I suspect the general appeal for Fing on the average punter is the fact they can plug a box into the network and forget all about it. Then can see devices, set time limits and user limits, all without needing to be too tech-savvy.
    Once you start moving into more of a software application (as opposed to a mobile app & hardware device) you get into more muddy waters with support, compatibility etc. Granted some of that would be mitigated with Synology/Pi as they're fairly stable between versions - but it's still a fairly limited number of interested parties (of which I'd count myself one for both Synology or Pi)
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose the catch here is that we're straying more and more toward the Domotz setup which is probably not really where Fing would want to head with the consumer product.
    Happy to be corrected but I suspect the general appeal for Fing on the average punter is the fact they can plug a box into the network and forget all about it. Then can see devices, set time limits and user limits, all without needing to be too tech-savvy.
    Once you start moving into more of a software application (as opposed to a mobile app & hardware device) you get into more muddy waters with support, compatibility etc. Granted some of that would be mitigated with Synology/Pi as they're fairly stable between versions - but it's still a fairly limited number of interested parties (of which I'd count myself one for both Synology or Pi)
    I very much agree, to be honest if Domotz was more affordable for home use it would be my preference, but the pricing is purely geared for business applications.
    VioletChepilHronos
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Having worked at Domotz and Fing I've got unique insight on this one. It would definitely be amazing to have RP options since the device is affordable and popular and we're hoping to make Fing App more accessible with PC/MAC Fing App packages coming soon as per our timely.
    There are however, based on my previous experience, bigger hurdles than one would imagine with getting installations on RP devices. Since they really require some work by the end user/certain level of knowledge. It's really a lot tougher to get people to complete the steps for self installation than you'd imagine. 
    I'd of course love to see us be everywhere, but I guess right now, probably thoughts are to see how the self install roll-out on more common devices like PC/MAC goes and then decide which hardware applications could be relevant. Definitely RP is something to keep in mind for the future. 

JohnJxck
  • HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Marc said:
    John said:
    Marc said:
    I like this conversation.   I guess it might depend on why they bought it.  Fing touts, among other things, security and parental controls over a home network and while the people lured by this might be more advanced then most, they still might not be the PI DIY build types.  
    Well, I am not sure about what @John says, maybe here (at the community) we are more than a "plug and play" kind of user, we, the enthusiast, are more of the kind to be around a forum/community to help and get helped with things, but the average more "normal" user (please do not take this bad xD) just want something that plain "works" without to many intervention.
    I'll love the possibilities a DIY option could bring us, and will get my hands on that if they make it true.  But, I think, the core of Fing as a product is to get more control/security to those "normal" folks  o:)
    Keep looking up!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just turning this one into an ideas thread so others can vote. Cast your vote if you'd like to see implemented too.

• lredlefsenlredlefsen Member Posts: 6
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    VioletChepil said:
    It's really a lot tougher to get people to complete the steps for self installation than you'd imagine. 
    Here's an idea: build a Raspberry Pi SD card image that boots up into the same setup/config mode as the Fing appliance (i.e., listen in setup mode on Bluetooth for a nearby phone with the app; acquire an IP address via DHCP on the LAN port; etc., etc.).
    Sell preconfigured SD cards that less-technical users could plug-and-play, and allow more-technical users to download the images and "burn" their own bootable SD cards, with no support.
    Quite honestly, the assumption that a PC/Mac running the Fing app will be always-on seems questionable to me. When's the last time you saw a PC/Mac that did *not* automatically sleep to save power? I don't think you'll learn a lot about the market for the SD Card type software from the PC/Mac trial -- you're testing two different (possibly mildly overlapping) markets...
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Iredlefsen I totally see where you are coming from and agree MAC/PC and Rpi are different markets. Having worked on products with free download on Raspberry Pi for trial - its much harder than you'd think to get uptake. Takes a lot of resources too. 
    I guess the bigger picture with Mac/PC is to combat some of the challenges for iOS11+ users and device recognition. 
    I think since most people have a PC we're starting from there and I'd hope we can see more installation options added after first learnings etc.
    But, we've got to start with something and then we can take our learnings and keep evolving. 

• PoisonDwarfPoisonDwarf Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    Owning 2 FingBoxes V1 myself, I have, rather smoothly, installed 'fing-5.5.2-armhf.deb' on a raspberry Pi 3B. Of course it is merely a command line tool without much 'luxury frontend' as Fing android app or fing desktop are. But with its configuration files, I assume it delivers linuxoid adaptability. At the moment, I am however stuck with the lack of man-pages for '/etc/fing/fing.properties' config-file. I have 5 VLan's, and want to push fing-discovery into all of them. But I don't get the right syntax to declare a number of - private range - /24-subnets. As an awkward workaround, I direct fing to the /16 subnet ( overlook.fing.netdiscovery.network.default = 192.168.0.0/16 ), but that's poor and takes a lot of time.
    What options can 'overlook.fing.netdiscovery.network.<unknownOptions>' actually offer for processing subnets like 192.168.25.0/24, 192.168.35.0/24, 192.168.45.0/24 in automated sequence?