Merge multiple MAC-addresses to one device

mozarellamozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 111
25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in Fing App Feature requests
Hi,
I'm asking, if it'll be possible in the future, to merge multiple MAC-addresses to one device. Lots of devices could connect to network through different network-cards (e. g. LAN, WLAN, portreplicator or USB2LAN). They are shown as seperated devices within the fing.app-list. Ofcoz a device will be offline (LAN) when it's connected over WLAN. It'll be helpful to merge this kind of devices to one device.
regards,
mozarella
Tagged:
PoohPurplexSJMartyLeeJohnHronosjomo_42mozarellaNelsonDerekOBen_HBieniudunxdtylermneherpwmeekFerlautoDavidFSethGSunshine30DGMacLeanPaul_HutchWolfje63gfondeurcesarlaforetArijitChalkyblokeFdCBatterBitsdRagonTnozeroPablomCrazycat4360Rob_GLong_John_SliverFingVoltsalimhbdtubbsolitezMillerCH4DfeherneohArjailergrintoul
40 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You can merge access points on your network:
    - just connect to the access point and run a Fing scan and it will tell Fing App it's part of your network. 
    Though, I'm guessing you would like to do something more with the MAC addresses. 
    I guess you are wanting to know about manually entering MAC address and merging them? We currently don't support this feature but it's something to keep in mind. I'm adding the tag FeatureRequest to this post. Any more details you can share on this would be great. 

Community Manager at Fing

Ferlauto
  • mozarellamozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 111
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Violet,
    when a computer enters a fingbox watched network, the new computer will be anounced and listed in the fing.app list. For example this computer was connected over LAN, it's LAN-MAC is showing in the fing.app-list. If the computer is now connected over WLAN, a 2nd MAC for the same machine is showing in the list. And maybe you have a USB2LAN or portreplicator, the same machine has 3 entries in the list.
    I mean, if it'll be possible to merge all this three "machines" to just one? Another example, sometimes i saw one entry either AVM Fritzbox or some android smartphones, there's written the IP-address and a small 2, means that there's another IP-address for the same device. So it's merged already, maybe the 2nd IP is connected to the same NIC.
    regards,
    mozarella
    PoohgfondeurLeeLong_John_Sliver
  • KenDKenD Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    Would be great if something like this could be done, or perhaps have the ability to manually merge the devices. We have several PC's at home that are both connected via LAN and sometimes Wifi for the laptops. As mentioned above LAN and WIFI has their own MAC addresses.
    PoohgfondeurDaveMacMedixLong_John_Sliver
  • gfondeurgfondeur Member, Beta Tester Posts: 8
    Photogenic 5 Likes Founder First Comment
    ✭✭

I would like to see that too

VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes. I'm moving this one over to Fing App feature requests! 
    New sub-category here: https://community.fing.com/categories/feature-requests

PurplexLong_John_Sliver
  • PurplexPurplex Member, Beta Tester Posts: 9
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    I just created a community account to make this same very request.
    It is rather annoying that many devices on my network use different MAC addresses where it is the same device.
    Usually we are talking abaout a laptop that has wired lan,  wifi 2.4G and wifi 5G but I even have a laptop that swithes between 2 different MACs for 5G, no clue why but I suppose higher and lower channels.
    The result is that my fingbox lists 52 devices where I only have about 30 network devices in my home which makes it less comprehensive so a merge devices would be a great feature.
    You don't need eyes to see - you need vision
    tylermneherpwmeekLong_John_Sliver
    ✭✭✭
    Hi purplex,
    i also noticed that one device has two MAC-Addresses for just one connection. You mentioned that one of your laptops also has that problem for 5G Wifi. I think, that device in my network has the same issue, 2 MAC for one connection. I didn't think of your idea before, but i agree, sounds logical, higer and lower channels with different MAC-addresses.
    mozarella
  • SJMartySJMarty Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    I am an initial backer and have had my Fingbox for almost two years now.  I have multiple Synology NAS units (DS1517+) on my network.  The NAS units have four NICs which can be bonded within the Synology DSM and seen as a single interface.  Each network interface obviously has its own MAC address and the bonded interface also has its own MAC.  Needless to say, with the Fing app's inability to merge multiple MACs into a single device, my list of network devices is a mess.  Since my NAS units contain all of my data, the Fing app has had diminishing returns for me.
    In October, 2017, I opened a support request (#19623) regarding this issue on shortly after getting my Fingbox.  Here is what I was told by "Brent" at Fing...
    "I apologize for the delay in responding. Unfortunately we have received quite a few questions since the Fingboxes went live and we are still trying to catch up. In any case, regarding your issue. At the moment there isn't a solution in place to manage the device with 4 separate network interfaces. We have plans to allow you to merge these devices into a single entry but it will be a few months before something like this is ready. At the moment we only have the options to either discover the full network by MAC or by IP address."
    About a year later, in August of 2018, I opened another support request (#64517) on the same issue since the functionality had not been added.  Here is what I was told at that time by "Ron" at Fing...
    "I have spoken to all parties, and It has been put on the development schedule.  I do not know where it is on the schedule).  Just like you, I have more devices that have multiple interfaces.  Just keeping looking at our Facebook, website, for updates, I know it is coming I just don't know when"
    Interesting that now - another year later - someone asks for the same thing and it gets moved to a "feature request" thread as if it's the first time it's been requested.  That's pretty disappointing considering that I've been told twice through the official support channel that this is (or at least was) on the development schedule.
    Long_John_Sliver
  • OrangeBucketOrangeBucket Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments First Answer Photogenic
    edited August 2019

Just to add to the mix...

I have a device that only has a wired connection. It is plugged into a port on a Wi-Fi Extender box. If the extender capability isn't enabled the physical MAC address appears on the router side. If it is enabled a virtual address is used instead. This wasn't a big deal until I needed to switch to the latter.

I run the Fing app from a phone which may connect to Wi-Fi on the router or the extender. So whether I see the virtual or physical address depends where it is connected to.

Multiple interfaces being seen as multiple devices isn't ideal, but in my case a single interface with a single MAC address is listed twice and that is really annoying. Understandable, but annoying.

Long_John_Sliver
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SJMarty as a team lead in our company I can say that these things do happen. And they happen frequently. There's many a time an item has hit the backlog, and then got relegated or even accidentally removed.

It's not ideal, but it's also something that can happen. In addition it's entirely possible that two lists are maintained by different teams.

I know that one of the aims for @VioletChepil with this forum was to try and fix some of these communication issues: in fact part of the choice of this forum software was to create a more streamlined approach between the users and the developers. The Fing team is trying hard to mitigate these issues you've had in the past, but sadly when one gets growth, this sort of thing sometimes happens.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @SJMarty the community allows us to track feature requests in a more cohesive way. I'm in the process of turning all feature requests into ideation threads so members can upvote them. We did not have the community previously and do receive 100s of requests via various channels; social, support email, user reviews etc. So the Community can help us better track which features are in demand - especially with the ideation thread capabilities! As for the previous correspondance from the support agent, I do not see this specific feature in the latest timeline that we shared and its possible this was said in error. I'm requesting more details on this for you! 

Long_John_Sliver
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe this is a good way to add this feature to the timeline for future-release, isn't it?
  • JohnJohn Member Posts: 108
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure if this is a different thing entirely, but would love fing app / fingbox to see the AP's on my mesh as 1 devices, or at least appreciate its a single 'device' with multiple AP's
  • BasilBasil Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    I too would like the feature. 
  • JohnJohn Member Posts: 108
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    @VioletChepil
    managed to dupe this in my thread which can be removed: https://community.fing.com/discussion/2130/combine-wired-and-wireless-device-mac-into-a-single-fing-device#latest
    but to stress this is definitely something I would be keen to see added!
    @mozarella dont forget to upvote your own post!  @OrangeBucket upvote too :)
  • NelsonNelson Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    I use Plume WiFi in the home which is basically a mesh network with access points. Each AP (Plume pod) has 5 MAC addresses. 2 are for Ethernet, 1 is for 2.4 Ghz band, and 2 more for 5 Ghz band. I have 14 of these pods around the house. I would love to be able to add the extra MAC addresses to each device. 
  • grintoulgrintoul Member Posts: 4
    Photogenic First Comment
    Same issue here. Added a wifi extender and now every device on my network is appearing twice, with two different MAC. My Fing list is suddenly a total mess and almost unusable. Manually merging devices would be much appreciated - i.e. if we could manually tell Fing to treat two different MAC addresses as the same device.
    Long_John_Sliver
  • briandelabriandela Member Posts: 0

Many devices have multiple network interfaces (e.g. WiFi ANS ethernet, multiple Ethernet connections). These appear today as separate devices.

Would be great to have the option to “merge”/“group” for network connections as a singular device.

Long_John_Sliver
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,079
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @briandela
    Thanks for your post. I will include this suggestion for our developers to review. If other users want this feature to get implemented, please upvote the initial post. Thanks again.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Long_John_Sliver
    Photogenic First Comment
    See also this post where a lot of people have asked for same:
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/12770#Comment_12770
    tylermneher
  • pwmeekpwmeek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 136
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    One more upvote. If nothing else, consolidating WiFi and Ethernet connections for a single device would be very helpful.
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    Long_John_Sliver
  • DocZZZDocZZZ South FloridaMember, Beta Tester Posts: 23
    10 Comments First Anniversary First Answer Photogenic
    Upvote for this feature
  • SethGSethG Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    There seems to be a misunderstanding about the nature of this issue. This shouldn't be considered a feature request; this is a bug that needs a fix. There shouldn't need to be any voting on whether this is implemented; this is a logical breakdown in the design of the system between a term (device) and reality.
    A device, as the list name implies, should represent a single physical (or virtual) device regardless of the number of MACs, IPs, or interfaces associated with it. There will be always be edge cases, but it would be safe to assume that most devices more sophisticated than a phone can have multiple interfaces exposed to the network. Desktops, Laptops, NASs, and Servers are a great example of this. It would also probably be safe to assume that most users interested in Fing are probably a cut above the average Internet user and are significantly more likely to have at least one device with multiple network interfaces on their network.
    It also bears noting that their is a significant volume of users that will never take the time to find the forum, look for a specific issue, create an account, and vote on it.
    Long_John_Slivergrintoul
  • DocZZZDocZZZ South FloridaMember, Beta Tester Posts: 23
    10 Comments First Anniversary First Answer Photogenic
    edited July 1

Well, that’s certainly one way to look at this. There’s no disputing that a single device can have multiple network interfaces and MAC addresses. I see the way to display this information as a programming choice. If concentrating on the device, it would make sense to incorporate all the interfaces in the device's info display. If however, the displayed info is focusing on device addressing, the various interfaces can be separated or grouped by WiFi, Ethernet, or even Bluetooth, for example. In my view, this is not a “bug”, but a feature - it’s all about how you look at it (IMHO). Cheers!

• DaveMacMedixDaveMacMedix Member Posts: 6
    Photogenic First Comment
    I'm in full agreement that it would be helpful to be able to link devices having multiple MAC addresses. Or should i say link multiple MAC addresses to a single device.
    It is very common for computers to respond to WiFi, even while they are connected to ethernet. So helpful if you can link them once, then next time that MAC shows up you already know what it is.
    I also use a Macintosh app: LAN Scan (from iwaxx Sarl & debookee ) which is really good for what it does. I'm able to at least label each found MAC address with names such as Dave-enet & Dave-Wifi. Then LAN Scan remembers that & shows the name next time that MAC address shows up in a scan, but I do have to be scanning from the original LAN Scan computer, as the preferences are saved locally. 

• banishedbanished Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    For me it is not just a matter of identifying both the hard-wired and Wi-Fi connections, but devices that are spoofing their MACs.  I don't know there's anyway to identify a unique device other than the MAC, though.
    Long_John_Sliver
  • dtubbsdtubbs Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    This is on my wish list too.  Managing all of my kids devices, it would be easier if they were merged so that the rules (internet pauses) would be consistent regardless if the laptops were connected via LAN or WAN.
    grintoul
  • CH4DCH4D Member Posts: 3
    First Answer Photogenic First Comment
    A yes from me please. Multiple AP's via Wi-Fi repeaters and powerline Wi-Fi AP's. Some of my devices are known with 4 to5 mac addresses.
    Never overtake your guardian angel!
    grintoul
  • RainCasterRainCaster My deskMember, Beta Tester Posts: 47
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭

I have 2 different classes of devices that could benefit from this.

1. Laptops: the MAC address on the built in Wi-Fi is consistent, but I have several USB based NICs each with its own MAC address. Obviously not all are connected at the same time. BTW, windows 10 now has a feature that will randomize your MAC address on the Wi-Fi.

2. My NAS box. It has 4 hardwired nic ports that can all be used to increase bandwidth to the network.

Photogenic First Comment
    Did this one ever progress any further?