DHCP is not healthy

2»

Answers

• BostonAutomationsBostonAutomations Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Robin said:

Also, what could be the cause of the error where the app shows an alert that says something like, “A device is trying to join your network but is not getting an IP address”?

When this happened it was for a device that had a MAC reservation on my router, so there shouldn’t have been any sort of conflict.

Are you getting this message on Fing desktop or Fing app: “A device is trying to join your network but is not getting an IP address”?
    Mac OS Desktop app. 
    What's the point? 
    I'm trying to figure out if I really have a problem or if the Fingbox is causing problems on my network. I'm still operating on the same Fingbox from back in the Indiegogo days.
    pedal999
  • baergrizzbaergrizz Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    First Comment Photogenic
    I thought it was just me until I found this thread. Same deal: DHCP is fine, scope has plenty of free IPs, router is fine, new devices join no problem. Leases are being renewed: check. Only one DHCP server on the network: check.  Machine running Fing Desktop is not multi-homed.  
    Fingbox from Indiegogo days is present in the network, MacOS running Fing Desktop app loves to tell me my DHCP is bad. 
    Perhaps if we understood what the check is doing, we could help troubleshoot. Is it just looking for DHCPOFFER messages? Does it matter if my machine running Fing Desktop has a static IP address or uses DHCP? What about a DHCP reservation vs. just getting what it gets from the pool?
    momcat1pedal999RWild
  • pedal999pedal999 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    + same here..  Similarities:
    - I have a Fingbox v1  and a Router connected (via power line) to multiple access points;
    - it is the Fing Desktop App for Mac that is repeatedly telling my network is not healthy
    - I have 200 IPs allocated, with around 60 possible devices, of which approximately half are online at any one time.
    Router is an Apple Time Capsule (5th gen) and the three other access points are:-
    - another Time Capsule (5th gen) set up in (i.e. bridge mode) - (via powerline)
    - an Airport Extreme (5th gen) set up in (i.e. bridge mode) - (via powerline)
    - Devolo 1200+ WiFiac set  up as another access point (via power line)
    (My house has very thick stone walls and getting wifi consistently throughout has been a challenge.)
    Fing app on iOS where doing own scan or using Fingbox is quiet, reporting no errors.  The Fing Desktop app for Mac only started reporting problems within the last couple of months, and it now does so around 10-15 times a week.
    Hopefully Fing will get to the bottom of this, or someone nice in the community may piece the puzzle together from this thread and suggest what may be the common issue here..  (fingers crossed). 

DarkStar_1
  • KylurKylur Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    I've had this for months. No problems with any network functions and everything comes out as working fine.
    Fingbox v1, Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite, UniFi Switch 8 POE, UniFi clould key and 3 Ubiquiti AP-AC-Mesh APs. Bunch of other devices including a couple POE switches, Cisco SPA-122 VoIP and an openmediavault server.
    pedal999
  • DarkStar_1DarkStar_1 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    I know that my DHCP is healthy and I see the same problem.  https://query.fing.com/AAD3EBB3F71C8B00
    My assumption is that the code needs to be corrected in the Fing application so that it correctly identifies problems.
    pedal999
  • DonaldHallDonaldHall Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    I also have had this problem for months.  It seems to be my LG TV that can't get an address, which is not surprising given that it is always off (or at least in standby) when this alert occurs.  I get the alert in Fing Desktop on 5 seperate computers, 3 running Windows 10 and 2 running macOS Catalina.  I also have a version 1 Fingbox on my network and the Fingbox IOS app reports no problems so I have concluded that it is a design fault in the Fing Desktop software that is producing these false alerts.  As someone else has mentioned, it would help to know what is being checked and how that produces the alert.  So programmers, it is over to you! 
    pedal999baergrizz
  • PShirleyPShirley Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    Hi all, I have a complex network supporting 178 devices in my home. I have a Mikrotik high-end router, Mikrotik 10G SFP+ PoE switches (2) and 4 Ruckus 500 & 700 series WAPS being controlled by a Ruckus Zone Director 1200. My original FING box was defective and I didn't realize it for a while. I finally ordered a new one and ever since installing it I've seen these errors "Devices may not be able to connect to the network". Like @Momcat1, I checked IP assignments, lease times, and indeed found a tight pool of available addresses... no problem I thought, just widen the scope of lease addresses (most of my devices are static DHCP via Mac address reservations) and all should be good!
    Not... Still get the error messages on my FING account, both desktop and iOS App. All updated. 

I've decided to widen the IP DHCP scope to 2 Class C addresses pools and move all guest/visitor traffic onto the "new" range.
    Thoughts?
  • jpkeatesjpkeates Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    @PShirley - I'd not change anything right now.
    I think that the notification is suspect. Unless you have a problem that manifests itself anywhere other than the Fing App I'd wait.

baergrizzPShirley
  • BostonAutomationsBostonAutomations Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    How many users have to complain before Fing will address this?
    momcat1
  • momcat1momcat1 Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic
    You know, I had previously considered buying a Fingbox, but since this issue appears to have had such a bad track record for resolution, I'm not so sure I want to. I'll continue to use the software for the parts that I find helpful, but other than that, no.
  • PShirleyPShirley Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    As much as I would like to find blame and move on, I have another issue which may be compounding this - Various versions of operating systems accessing high-capacity servers (such as Mac Mohave or Catalina, and Windows 7, 8.1, and 10). SFP and AFP protocols seem to be rearing their ugly heads in an area I have little experience - protocol compatibility. I now know that Apple "recently" removed support for some older protocols - SFP1 I think?. It's a mess and I just haven't had the time to really research. This is a Crestron Show Home for a few dealers and manufacturer's agent to show capabilities and build user interest (in addition to my exec duties with a few companies). Thankfully I have ZERO access from outside the home into the network - by design. So all my "woes" are internal.
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,079
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi All,
    I am passing all this feedback to our developers and I will get back to you once I have an update for this. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    baergrizzRWild
  • otoolepwotoolepw Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    Robin said:
    Hi All,
    I am passing all this feedback to our developers and I will get back to you once I have an update for this. Thanks
    Hi Robin, any feedback from the developers?
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,079
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    otoolepw said:
    Robin said:
    Hi All,
    Hi Robin, any feedback from the developers?
    We are still investigating and testing between false and real warnings. As soon as there is an update, I will let you know. Thanks again.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • DaleallyDaleally Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Can I add my name to the list of  the "to be alerted" when there is an update to the DHCP error.
    I too am experiencing the "DHCP is not healthy warning", but it is, and the endless DHCP discovery.
    Thanks
    (Fing desktop, Win 10 Pro version 2004)
  • DaleallyDaleally Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Fing Desktop 2.2.1 update; fixed the DHCP issue for me.
    Robin
  • momcat1momcat1 Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic
    Fing Desktop 2.2.1 update; DID NOT fix the DHCP issue for me.
  • bballjer44bballjer44 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Fing Desktop 2.2.1 update; Did Not fix the DHCP issue for me.
  • jpkeatesjpkeates Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Further to my initial reports, I am no longer sure that the notifications are always an error.
    I have two sets of wifi devices from different manufacturers, one recently added, one years old that have started to have issues connecting to wifi. The issues are resolved at least temporarily by my rebooting the router.

So I am no longer as confident that my DHCP is as healthy as I thought.