IOS 14

glospeteglospete Member Posts: 6
First Comment Photogenic
I know that this subject has been covered but I am at a loss to stop my Fingbox and Fing apps on my iPhone and iPad keep telling me that my devices are "new". I've read the workaround suggested by turning off Private Addresses but it doesn't work for me. I have a TP-Link 4G MR600 router and 2 TP-Link RE-300 extenders which work as a Mesh Network but all day I keep getting the dreaded "X is a new device" and my Fingbox flashes blue. I then assign this {not} new device but after an indeterminate amount of time I get the same message again so I have to assign the device to a user to stop it flashing all over again. Perhaps it's because my mesh network but the upshot is that unless I can solve this I'm turning off the Fingbox as it is currently useless as it doesn't tell me what I want to know i.e. when a REAL new device connects. I cannot believe that the Technicians at Fing didn't see this problem in advance before IOS 14 was launched and come up with a solution. If no solution goodbye Fing. 

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,206
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @glospete
    I am sorry to hear you are facing issues with your Fing. Please check this link if you are using ios14 which may be useful to you: https://www.fing.com/news/private-mac-address-on-ios-14
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • glospeteglospete Member Posts: 6
    First Comment Photogenic

I already explained that I’ve followed this document and workaround. It doesn’t work for me and I keep getting these notifications which are now becoming more than a nuisance.

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,365
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @glospete, as you have read through the link @Robin sent you, did you note this paragraph?

Because Private MAC Addresses are bound to the access point identifier rather than the WiFi network name, if you have multiple access points serving your network in WiFi roaming, you may be required to perform this operation multiple times for each device. Indeed, a new randomised MAC address will be generated every time the iOS device jumps from being connected to a WiFi access point A to another WiFi access point B of your network.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • glospeteglospete Member Posts: 6
    First Comment Photogenic
    That’s exactly my point. As the devices connect to the router and jump to the extenders so a new MAC address is being generated. And turning off Private Addresses doesn’t solve it. So as it stands at the moment I have a system which constantly generates multiple notifications of “new devices” which is useless. So I can’t see any other solution other than to switch off my Fingbox and stop the Fing App sending me notifications. Are the Fing Technicians working on a solution or is in unsolvable? 
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,365
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @robin or @Ciaran , have you seen this behavior and if so is there a workaround for this?  @glospete appears to be in a device recognition loop..
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,206
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Marc
    I cant confirm this behavior but I will investigate this and get back to you @glospete
    Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!