Why does clicking my Fing Desktop Icon do nothing.

JustDaveJustDave Member Posts: 10
Photogenic First Comment
edited September 2020 in Fing Desktop discussions
I am running Win 10, latest version.  When I install Fing, I get a desktop icon on my task bar that does nothing.  Fing works great on my iPhone. On my PC in Windows, there is no sign it exist on my computer except the do-nothing icon and I was able to uninstall the desktop version indicating a presence of an App.  

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @JustDave thanks for asking your question.
    When you clicked on the desktop icon, did you check your taskbar area where applications load and 'hide' to see if it went there?  Fing Desktop, once launched, will 'live' in the hidden program area in the lower-right corner of Windows 10.  Check to see if it's there, then right-click, or double-click to open the app and present it on the desktop.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • JustDaveJustDave Member Posts: 10
    Photogenic First Comment
    Yes, there is an icon on the far right of the taskbar.  Left clicking it once, twice, or right clicking and selecting Open Fing Desktop, all do nothing.  It is like the software thinks Fing Desktop is deployed but it is not.  I see it in the Task Manager and it is using about 5% of my CPU bandwidth but no desktop app is displayed.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled with same results. This is Fing 2.2 0 if that helps.

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,081
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @JustDave
    Fing desktop when is closed, it still runs in the background and does it automatic network scans and thus it is able to send notification about changed on network. If you click on taskbar icon you can maximize the application from there. In order to close the application, you need to close the app from taskbar as well.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Photogenic First Comment
    No matter what I do, I can not "maximize the application".  Clicking on either icon does nothing.  I suspect it is running but will not maximize into something that shows any information regarding the scan.  I can see it run properly on my laptop but it will not display on my main computer.  I looked to see if I needed to allow it through the network but no app with name fing appears to get throgh the network.  Not sure if I need that but definitely need something to make it work properly.
  • PixelPixel Devon, U.K.Moderator Posts: 146
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @JustDave if you haven’t already tried, right click on the Fing icon (on the taskbar) and select maximise from the meju. Sometimes this will work where a double click won’t.
    Photogenic First Comment
    When I right click, I get two options; 1. Fing, and 2. unpin from taskbar. If I right click the Fing icon to it's right, I get; 1. Open Fing Desktop and 2. Exit.  None of these produce a display of any type.  This is a Mac-Mini, I7 running windows directly on Bootcamp partition.  In the Task manager, it shows the Fing icon three times in a group.
    ✭✭✭
    JustDave said:
    “This is a Mac-Mini, I7 running windows directly on Bootcamp partition.  In the Task manager, it shows the Fing icon three times in a group.”
    @Robin are there any known issues running Fing in bootcamp/is this type of installation supported?
    Photogenic First Comment
    I boot directly into Win 10 one Windows partition.  I have a lot of app's running with no issues.  Only Fing Desktop refuses to display a window.  Parallels is available if I boot into MacOS but I am booting directly into Win10.
    Photogenic First Comment
    New version of Fing installed today.  Indicates I have three notification with red dot on icon.  I can not see them because like the last version, when I click the icon, nothing happens.  Fing is running on my computer as the Task Manager indicates but there is no display what so ever.
    ✭✭✭
    @JustDave while we are waiting for a comment from @Robin have you tried uninstalling & reinstalling Fing? This may not be a solution but only takes a few minutes & is worth a try. In windows i would also normally check the icon properties to make sure the link to the executable is valid/not corrupted. 
    Photogenic First Comment
    I have tried the uninstall and reinstall but I am not sure I rebooted after the uninstall so I will repeat the effort with the reboot before reinstallation and let you know how that turns out.
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,081
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Pixel
    @JustDave I am not sure if this is a Bootcamp issue but can you quit the Fing desktop from the taskbar and reboot the O.S and then try to open Fing desktop? Also, check under services.msc if the Fing agent is running or not? Try to restart the service from there and then check.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Photogenic First Comment
    I do see Fing.agent "running" with "automatic" and "Local System" but no desktop showing.  I have uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled but still no Fing Desktop showing.  This is not critical.  I am sure a fix will come along at some point so I will wait. Thanks for help.