Mac desktop version not working

FairRightFairRight Member Posts: 3
First Comment
Fing doesn't like my Macbook Pro w/Catalina 10.15.6
Won't open completely, usually a blank window, force reload doesn't work. Uninstalled & reinstalled + restart.
Any known issues or fixes?

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,787
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @FairRight, would you know which version of the Fing Desktop you have installed?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • FairRightFairRight Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    2.1.0, just downloaded from Fing site
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,079
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    FairRight said:
    2.1.0, just downloaded from Fing site

Thank you for your message. Can you check under Activity monitor if multiple Fing helpers are running? If yes, then please disable both Fing helpers and quit the Fing desktop and then reboot device and start Fing desktop to run the scan. Also, sometimes the permissions needed for the application in MacOS gets revoked. If this happens to you, you can remedy this in System Preferences > Security and Privacy. Be sure to have Fing Desktop turned on (check off the box) in the "Full Disk Access" and "Files and Folders" sections.  

To address the blank screen, Can you please follow these commands on the terminal and let me know of the result? 

• Command 1: /usr/bin/pgrep fingagent 

• Command 2: sudo lsof -nP -iTCP:48080 -sTCP:LISTEN 

On running the 2nd command, it will ask for a password and you need to enter the login password of your MacBook 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • FairRightFairRight Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    I ran the items in the first paragraph & seems to have resolved the issue. Will monitor for other developments
    Thanks
    Robin
  • RickBRickB Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    I updated to Fing Desktop version 2.2.0 and startiung running into this issue of the Fing Desktop app showing up as a blank window on a MacBook Pro laptop running MacOS Catalina (10.15.6).  The info above was very useful in getting the application to work again.  When I looked in the Activity Monitor, there were two processes running as fingagent.bin.  I deleted one of the processes and the application worked when I reloaded it.  I now have the following processes running when I start the Fing Desktop:
    Fing
    fingagent.bin
    Fing Helper
    Fing Helper
    Is there a reason that there are two processes running called Fing Helper?
    Cheers,
    Richard
    Cheers,
    Richard
    Fortune favours the brave!
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,079
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @RickB
    I am not sure why 2 helpers are running but if the Fing desktop is working fine for now, then you can leave it running and upon quitting the app, the Fing desktop will quit the fing helpers as well. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @RickB , when you installed the new version did you do it from within the app, when it told you a new version is available and to upgrade?  Also, have you rebooted since you upgraded and upon reboot does it work properly without needing to kill any process?
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi Marc,
    Yes, the new version installed when the app notified me that an update was available.  I had rebooted after the update and then started seeing the process.  I have not rebooted since killing the extra fingagent.bin process.  I will update this when I do an re-boot later this week.  I still need to do some investigation as the second fingagent.bin process showed up after I tried out one of the new tools.  I was trying the DNS Benchmark and the Wi-Fi Scan to see what result I would get since I just finished a major upgrade to my network.  As I recall neither tool provided an end result and I need to try them again to see what happens.  I will let you know.
    Cheers,
    Richard
    Marc
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi Marc,
    Just to follow up on my post on September 15th.  I have now rebooted a few times and I am now running version 2.2.1 of Fing.  The Wi-Fi Scan and the DNS Benchmark tools now appear to be working as one would expect. When I look at the processes, I see 2 Fing Helper processes, one fingagent.bin process and the Fing app process.  So far I have not seen any anomalies with the Fing app since I upgraded to version 2.2.1 earlier today.  Hopefully no more killing processes.
    Cheers,
    Richard
    Cheers,
    Richard
    Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Great news. Thanks for the update...