Multiple Interfaces for Multiple Subnet/Vlan Support

Jon_IrishJon_Irish Member, Beta Tester Posts: 37
10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in Fingbox feature requests
Please consider adding multiple interfaces to the fingbox so that it can support multiple subnets/vlans. Even home networks need to be segmented. Everyone in cyber security recommends that IoT devices be hosted on segmented vlan that has no access to the internal home LAN. Thus, a fingbox with at least 2 interfaces (preferably more) is more of a requirement that an option. Please consider this in future revisions of the fingbox.
VioletChepilChiefplumberJon_IrishmozarellaFingUserWarrenBelgarathRHHGPpanxytras78TheBigBear6t9camaroatomicboyBiggsRichCreedyDawwenMohamed_SultanItoTItanBrianVComputergeek737DominikGJvanDriethicandidoMessydstrohlBruno23bhoustonvbapDGMacLeanRichBJamoiJonMartinMesjefskieAlxRoganfingoCash89ITSaintgernotCH4D
39 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for submitting! 

Community Manager at Fing

thicandidoMessy
  • ChiefplumberChiefplumber Member, Beta Tester Posts: 9
    5 Likes Photogenic Founder First Comment
    ✭✭
    I second the feature request.  FingBox is a fantastic device.  I love the monitoring, performance testing capabilities and the device alerts.  I started the multi-LAN thread because many homes are more complex than they appear at first glance.  I have two separate physical LANs in my home, one for the Verizon router and STBs and the primary LAN for "everything" else.  The VZ router/LAN sits behind my router/firewall and gets its "external" address from my primary LAN DHCP server.  ActionTec happens to make LAN extenders that externalize the IP over Coax.  I use these devices to provide RJ45 and WiFi connectivity in hard to reach areas of my house.  Any devices on the ActionTec network extensions receives VZ router addresses, not "primary LAN" addresses.  In addition, I have a third subnet on the firewall for external VPN access and a guest SSID/vLAN on my access points.  In addition,  SONOS creates a SONOSNet mesh for the wireless speaker system.  That's a lot of stuff and I am sure I am not unique.  A higher feature level FingBox with multiple (2 for me) Ethernet interfaces and the ability to understand vLANs would be worth more than the single interface FingBox.  I want to purchase a solution, not rent a capability for $19/month.  I only have one high speed Internet connection so I don't "need" two FingBoxes, two Fing accounts, etc.

Please help!
    thicandidoScotty1000000
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Chiefplumber - just add your upvote above as well and also @Jon_Irish you can add that in too.
    Just click the upvote above :smile: as I did! 

thicandido
  • vicorlyvicorly Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    First Comment Photogenic
    Yeah I wish Fingbox could support multiple subnets, not necessarily VLANs. I have a client where I just installed a nice SonicWALL NSA 2650. Ethernet LAN is 10.0.25.x. Primary WLAN is 10.0.26.x, Guest WLAN is 172.16.7.x - would like the Fingbox to be able to scan all 3.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @vicorly thanks for the feedback and adding to the thread. Don't forget to add your up vote in above as well. 

• DGMacLeanDGMacLean Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    I too would like to see support for multiple subnets and VLANs. In my home the ISP's devices distribute the cableTV service and my own devices connect to a subordinate WiFi router in an different subnet. Both are distributed using separate 802.1q VLANs on the house's coax cable, and my FingBox sits on a trunk port where it can see the coming and going of various devices by MAC address but can only sort out the IP addresses on its own subnet (the default untagged VLAN on its trunk port). It would be wonderful if its UTP cable port were VLAN-aware and could learn (perhaps via DHCP) about the various subnets on the trunk.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @DGMacLean thanks a lot. Don't forget to add your upvote above! 

• GPpanGPpan Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    802.1q support would be wonderful.  I have separate VLAN's in my network (Guest, Prod, DMZ) that are controlled by my Cisco switches and Aruba wireless controller.  Right now I would need multiple Fing Boxes to do all my networks.  Having this all on one device would be great to monitor both VLAN's.
  • TheBigBearTheBigBear Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    Yes, I also have a properly segregated home network, DMZ, Guest, Private and Family. Need to be able to set VLAN tag on fingbox interface
    Messy
  • DawwenDawwen Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic

Wow, just wandered in thinking about suggesting this bit thought would there be any other demand. Glad to see I'm not alone. Definite upvote here for the VLAN/.1q trunk support. The ability to treat each net differently would also be awesome eg. Allow everything that joins the guest net, but default deny additions/whitelist access only on other nets kinda of thing. And if all this activity could be dumped out via syslog I'd be super happy.

Messy
  • BrianVBrianV Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

I have to assume that the typical Fingbox costumer has an above average understanding of networks and concern for security, it does seem reasonable to expect that more of us will be attempting to follow the increasingly common recommendations to isolate IoT devices. I would very much be willing to pay a one time “upgrade” fee for a fingbox “plus” software update that would allow monitoring of an additional subnet isolated by Vlan. I don’t think this would intrude or erode the enterprise solution of your sister company but would make the fingbox a better solution for the security minded home user.

Jamoi
  • NCL_KnightNCL_Knight Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic
    This feature would be a fantastic upgrade.
    Hijack
  • MessyMessy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 23
    10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic

Yes I have up voted for vlan support.

I currently have three Fingbox because I had put my guest WiFi directly on my ADSL router , and my Sonos/Bose network on my Virgin hub and everything else behind a load balancer/firewall . The number of switches and WiFi devices needed to extend three WiFi and LAN around my property was getting ridiculous. So when some devices started getting unreliable and failing I decided to move to a managed network using Ubiquiti Unifi devices and it is so much easier to manage and use multiple SSID on only four APs.

Now I have to consider how to deploy the Fingboxes across two isp and five vlan plus the native/management LAN.

Vlan and trunk support would make it easier.

Thanks

Jon_IrishgernotJamoi
  • JulianDanielJulianDaniel Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    would would certainly like vlan/multiple subnet support in the product. Is this on any roadmap at the moment 
    Messy
  • bhoustonbhouston Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic

I hope this can make it on to the roadmap. I just switched out my router and added a couple VLANs for guests and IOT devices. Bit of a letdown to see that upgrade made my Fingbox pretty useless until this feature is added.

Really looking forward to seeing this added!

• Jon_IrishJon_Irish Member, Beta Tester Posts: 37
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

I agree, it appears that more develop is going into the software app than the physical device. I hope this isn’t the case, but I haven’t seen any of the “premium” desktop features added to the the Fing box.

• JCJRJCJR Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Yes! Please add this. I've had my home network divided with IOT on one SSID and computers and phones on another. This really causes the app/box to be less useful than it could and should be.
  • JamoiJamoi Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    BrianV said:

I have to assume that the typical Fingbox costumer has an above average understanding of networks and concern for security, it does seem reasonable to expect that more of us will be attempting to follow the increasingly common recommendations to isolate IoT devices. I would very much be willing to pay a one time “upgrade” fee for a fingbox “plus” software update that would allow monitoring of an additional subnet isolated by Vlan. I don’t think this would intrude or erode the enterprise solution of your sister company but would make the fingbox a better solution for the security minded home user.

Seconded. Happy to pay an "upgrade to pro" fee to support the development work of making the existing Fingbox VLAN aware, make the single NIC 802.1q aware so it can be a trunk and monitor multiple VLANs. Like many, I'm putting all my IOT on a separate VLAN now, so the value of Fingbox on ust my trusted VLAN is much diminished. Fingers crossed...
  • fingofingo Member Posts: 9
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    +1 Please add VLAN support.