Static IP Address on Fingbox - from mobile app

GaryGary Member, Beta Tester Posts: 9
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
edited September 2019 in Fingbox feature requests

Hi

I'd like to be able to assign a static IP Address to the Fingbox, using settings on the Fingbox, currently this is not possible.

Thanks

Gary

VioletChepilterinaTarvDiane_MGremelin
4 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to assign one from your router page.
    Moving this back to Fingbox category as this feature is already existing. 
    how to assign a Static IP address to Fingbox. You'll need to assign the static IP address from your router settings page. Assigning Static IP addresses to most devices is easy. Just go to the network settings on your router, look for DHCP option and turn it OFF. Once you do that, you'll see a text area to enter Static IP address. Enter a new IP address for Fingbox there and save changes.

Community Manager at Fing

• GaryGary Member, Beta Tester Posts: 9
    edited September 2019

Are you sure?

I need to set the option to use a static IP on the individual device, not the router settings. what you suggest will affect the entire network not individual devices. I asked Fing Tech support about this feature, here is the response...

Robin Garg (Fing) 

Dec 31, 16:28 GMT 

Hi Gary,

Thank you for clarification! 

Unfortunately, we don't have a way to set a static IP right now. Fingbox is intended for the majority of home networks where IP addresses are dispensed by DHCP. Maybe in the future, we’ll add the possibility to assign a static IP address. 

• PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I do the same thing. I created a reservation on my Eero Pro because I like all my network level devices to be single digits numbers on the 4th octect of my 10.10.2/24 network.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
  • waynerwayner Member, Beta Tester Posts: 22
    10 Comments Photogenic 5 Likes
    You can do essentially the same thing by creating a DHCP reservation.  In some ways this is easier and, perhaps, more robust than setting a static IP on the device as you are less likely to get IP address conflicts.
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gary just turning this one into a question thread. Please choose an answer if this has solved things for you.

@VioletChepil I assign all my Ethernet-connected devices a static IP address so i can easily find them on the network (this is done on each device). All other devices that connect to the network (phones, ipads, laptops, visitors etc.) use wifi and are assigned a dynamic IP address by my router using DHCP.

According to Robin Garg (Fing Tech Support) on Dec 31 2018 (see above), there is currently no way for me to assign the FingBox a static IP address.

If Robin Garg's response is incorrect, or the feature has already been implemented, please show/tell me how to assign the IP address to FingBox manually. If you cant show/tell me how to assign a static IP address to the FingBox manually please return this thread to the Feature Request area.

VioletChepil
  • MirekmalMirekmal Member, Beta Tester Posts: 68
    10 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Gary said:

@VioletChepil I assign all my Ethernet-connected devices a static IP address so i can easily find them on the network (this is done on each device). All other devices that connect to the network (phones, ipads, laptops, visitors etc.) use wifi and are assigned a dynamic IP address by my router using DHCP.

According to Robin Garg (Fing Tech Support) on Dec 31 2018 (see above), there is currently no way for me to assign the FingBox a static IP address.

If Robin Garg's response is incorrect, or the feature has already been implemented, please show/tell me how to assign the IP address to FingBox manually. If you cant show/tell me how to assign a static IP address to the FingBox manually please return this thread to the Feature Request area.

I believe the statement that it is not possible to set static IP for FingBox relates to box itself. There is indeed no option to set static IP in device configuration. But you can still assign specific IP to FingBox using your router configuration (e.g. bind specific IP to FigBox's MAC address). In such case FingBox is still using DHCP to obtain IP, but router always assign the same address that was reserved for this particular device.... effectively making it static.
    GaryVioletChepil

Agreed, but significantly easier to do it on the device, that’s why I posted my original post in the Feature Request section.

The feature request section is for requesting features, not for seeking workarounds to missing features, but thanks for the suggestions anyway.

VioletChepil
  • waynerwayner Member, Beta Tester Posts: 22
    10 Comments Photogenic 5 Likes
    This isn't the case for the fingbox but I prefer DHCP reservations to setting static IPs.  There are two main reasons:
    (1) DHCP reservations can be set from the web UI of your router.  To set static IPs on a lot of devices, like an Xbox, Roku you need to physically do it on the device which means going to that room and going through the network setup menu on that device.  That can be inconvenient and takes longer, especially when you have a large house.
    (2) DHCP reservations should be less prone to IP address conflicts as your router should not assign an address, even one that is reserved, if another device is using that IP address.  With a static IP you could be more prone to tow (or more) devices trying to use the same IP address if you screw up.
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Gary this is in the Fingbox category at present. Apologies on this. I moved the thread since I thought we could provide an answer as we do allow static IP address to be assigned to the device. 
    I do think there is value in leaving this as a thread and it does address the static IP option available.
    Perhaps you could submit a new thread on the feature requests then specifying from the actual device? 
    I'm happy to post it up there for you as well. 
    It's just that I do think this is a good discussion which can be referenced for future members. 

edited September 2019

@VioletChepil I've changed the original post in this thread clarifying what feature I would like, however, you're the community manager, do what you like with it ...

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    OK I'll move to a feature request for you @gary and start up another question on this. Cheers

terina
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    All you can upvote to the idea above and I'm just going to clarify that this request is for assigning static IP address from the app. Thanks @Gary

terina
  • terinaterina Member Posts: 1
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 3

Let's make the distinction between setting a static IP (on the device),
    and creating a dynamic address reservation (on a DHCP server).

What’s the difference? The DHCP reservations still require a DHCP server. If the DHCP server becomes unavailable, devices are left dead-in-the-water! DHCP is great when it’s working, but often presents a single point of failure. 

Do we really want our network management devices, like FingBox, to fail during a DHCP server disruption?
    (Similar question posed to LIFX: "Wouldn't it be great to turn on your lights without needing a DHCP server?)

Is there a way to set a (true) static IPv4 address assignment on each FingBox device?  

I regularly test various vendor/firmware combinations (Juniper, Cisco, Adtran, Ubiquiti, etc) in a CE-router context. Much like @Gary, I prefer not to have my critical infrastructure unavailable while I sort out each vendor's DHCP server details. While I can segregate my networks, I'd rather have the Static IP option. I've just added my upvote to Gary's request. 

• TarvTarv Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    Would also appreciate the ability to manually set a static ip, gateway, dns and subnet.
  • jthigh71jthigh71 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    I'm also finding myself in a situation where I need to separate my edge router / gateway from my DNS provider... I really need a way to statically assign IP, subnet mask, gateway, and DNS provider for my Fingbox.  Is there a way without doing it through DHCP? 
  • The_VorlonThe_Vorlon Member, Beta Tester Posts: 13
    10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Looking through this thread, it's fairly obvious it continues to be an issue. While it is understood Fingbox is for home networks, those home networks are becoming significantly more complex.  The days of 'just turning on DHCP' and letting things 'run' is no longer sufficient.  In a smart home a single class C address in a private network range (10.x.x.x , 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x or 192.168.x.x ) may not be sufficient as a smart home network, including lights, plugs, etc may easily exceed the available address space.  Further, from a security perspective it may be desirable to restrict IoT devices to a dedicated VLAN and place network management and infrastructure on another VLAN, with user devices on a third VLAN.

Fingbox, to continue to remain relevant needs to do two things -  1)  Enable the ability to configure a static IP address on the device - not through static DHCP reservations.  2) Fingbox needs to be VLAN aware.    The only justifiable reason to not make Fingbox VLAN aware is to drive the sale of more Fingbox devices.