How to delete duplicated devices?

With iOS private address feature there are two devices listed for one iPhone. After turning off private address and disconnecting from Wi-Fi that device still shows as connected and still shows up with two IP addresses. How do I refresh my network without losing my modifications? Closing and opening the app didn’t work.

Fingbean

Answers

• JohnnyJackammerJohnnyJackammer Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I was able to do this using the macOS desktop app. I was unable to do this on the iOS app.
  • gyregyre Member Posts: 7
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    I found that initially I couldn't delete the device... but once it went grey I was offered a delete option.
    Fingbean
  • FingbeanFingbean Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
    Photogenic First Comment

Was able to delete by swiping the new private IP addresses to the left. There were a couple other options that I did not explore. Also, I noticed that the MAC addresses that were listed with the new private IP addresses that appeared were different as well. I suppose that is a good thing if iOS is truly protecting the identity of my iOS devices, right? Kind of interesting that they can do that. Anyone know how that works?

• JohnnyJackammerJohnnyJackammer Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments Photogenic
    edited September 18
    gyre said:
    I found that initially I couldn't delete the device... but once it went grey I was offered a delete option.
    As soon as all of our phones were updated to ios14 they each created duplicate devices on Fing via the new Private Address security feature. Each of the pair were shows as active and never went grey. At first I didn't know where these devices were coming from. I assign IP addresses to devices based on their MAC addresses in my router so it was perplexing. I ended up deleting my Fing network because it became so frustrating.
    Fingbean
  • gyregyre Member Posts: 7
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    I turned off private networking for my home network.  I let the iphone/ipad re-establish a network connection.  After a few minutes, fing marked my original device as blue with a filled in circle.  The previous (private) devices were blue with a hollow circle.  After a while they went grey and could be deleted.  The deletion option wasn't offered until that point.
    Fingbean
  • FingbeanFingbean Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
    Photogenic First Comment

I figured out that the private IP address feature was specific to each network it connects to. Also, I noticed that when I first connected to a network, my MAC address did not change while the IP did. But when I turned the private IP option off and then back on, that is when the MAC address changed as well. From that network, when I turn on private IP, it changes the MAC. But when I connect to a new network, the private IP defaults to on with my same MAC address and I have to turn it off and on again to get a different pseudo MAC address.