IFTTT now almost useless as of Sep 9 unless you have the paid plan

JSchlackman
JSchlackman Member Posts: 5
First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
edited September 2020 in Fingbox
For those unaware, IFTTT launched a paid Pro service on Sep 9. At the same time, they crippled the existing free tier by limiting it to a grand total of 3 custom applets. Pre-built published applets are still unlimited, but since there are no published applets for Fing, anything we now want to do with IFTTT and Fing now consumes 1 of the 3 custom applets limits, unless you pony up a monthly fee for Pro. Existing users have until Oct 7 before existing custom applets are disabled on the free tier.

Obviously this is not a fault of Fing, but is very disappointing. I was a big advocate of having an IFTTT integration for Fingbox since it was first planned during Indiegogo crowdfunding, and since it launched I have been using it extensively to link my Fingbox to SmartThings. To see them cripple it like this (and with zero warning) is frustrating to say the least.

Does Fing have any plans to work on integrating with another smart platform that doesn't require users to pay a monthly fee?
Tagged:

Comments

• Robin
    Robin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,614
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @JSchlackman
    As of now, there are no talks for any other platform but if users want to put in some suggestions then we can always go back and consider them for future releases. I hope it helps.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • JSchlackman
    JSchlackman Member Posts: 5
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    I've added my vote to the existing suggestion for Home Assistant and Fing - Access to local API but I'm not holding my breath - it's already the most upvoted Fingbox feature request by far but there appear to be no plans to implement it, and it seems like Fing is focused on the desktop app now and not Fingbox.
  • Noebl12
    Noebl12 Member Posts: 0
    I've added my vote to the existing suggestion for Home Assistant and Fing - Access to local API but I'm not holding my breath - it's already the most upvoted Fingbox feature request by far but there appear to be no plans to implement it, and it seems like Fing is focused on the desktop app now and not Fingbox.
    Yeah I just realized this as well and disappointed, I noticed their app is getting Home Assistant support and Local API access?
    https://app.fing.com/internet/account/subscribe/choose
    If I understand correctly, I'm disappointed if i have to pay monthly or yearly to get local api access when there's a very capable device I already have/bought...
  • DarrenHill
    DarrenHill Member, Beta Tester Posts: 24
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Agreed - this is another strong reason why we need a local API on the Fingbox (not  just the Fing desktop app).

The whole idea of the box for me was something that could happily sit 24/7 on my network and monitor it. I don't want to have to have some other software running on another device that then also has to be on 24/7 to do the same job, and I certainly don't want to (and will not) pay a subscription for the priviledge of having something that the box should have anyway.

I'm already working on ripping out all IFTTT from my set-up and replacing it with Home Assistant, and FingBox is one of the awkward ones at the moment.
    LiveMike