Fingbox & Fing Desktop integration

GuyRGuyR Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
First Comment Photogenic
✭✭
Would like to have these integrated please, using desktop means I now have 2 networks on my account where I would prefer to just have one based on Fingbox.  Could this not show the same as the mobile does?
RobinFerlautomozarellaJorRhinorooJasonSFHappyChapRickT49Diane_Mreygio349dtubbsArieKlerkpwmeekCourtneydogseh2000nuclear_redScooby8199PaulPKlyrsDCBMillerxpointKayJayrhcage2keithnphxJan208EugenioRicardoVelaCrootedChromeAcejrgRyTheITGuyGeirLiveMikeNicholas_AKenDStephenHFabianAlexHKDarrenHillPixelMatt_DJTspixn658
43 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,828
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @GuyR
    thanks for the suggestion. I will pass on this to our Dev team for review. Fing desktop is a new product but we are still reviewing the features to be added to enhance its functionality. For all other users who feel this would be beneficial, please click the 'Upvote' button. Thank you.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    ArieKlerklaaubinrhcage2jrgGeir
  • laaubinlaaubin Member Posts: 4
    Photogenic First Comment

Agree

TRS80rhcage2
  • rhcage2rhcage2 21702Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    Yes, Please
  • keithnphxkeithnphx Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    As new new FingBox owner and Fing Desktop user, it was, at first, very confusing why Desktop didn't sync/match with the IOS app.  There are some tools in the Desktop that are not available to me in the IOS app such as the WIFI channel scanner.   
    Mlbnvatxsjohnny
  • reygio349reygio349 Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic

A YES vote for me . I only have 1 home network with less than 20 devices with 4 wifi connected devices the rest are connected to via wired Ethernet cable. I have Fing premium desktop app and version 2 Fingbox.

Hope the INTEGRATION will be up soon so as to simply things. The customization of devices even does not work on each scanned network I have to customize on each which is redundancy. Then you'll get 2 separate alerts on same device because of multiple network that Fing scanned on One network.

Mlbnvatxsjohnny
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 272
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    I'll even go one step further.  Make the Fing desktop and mobile app integration part of the subscription.  I'd pay for that feature if it worked.
    Just saying.  :-)
    RobinKayJayVABellefroggie0
  • MartynKMartynK Member Posts: 35
    Totally support this idea, I first posted about having multiple networks in March, never got anywhere with it, just told thats the way it is.
    Mlbnvafroggie0
  • daved2424daved2424 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 12
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees Photogenic
    This is blindingly obvious to me. How this got through development as two entirely separate platforms is beyond me. How did Fing not anticipate that everyone would ask for this? Or worse, they did anticipate it but decided to ignore it anyway. 
    ChromeAceRyTheITGuyGeirMlbnvaAlexHKfroggie0
  • reygio349reygio349 Member Posts: 19

I have a Fingbox v2 and have one home network but in the app it shows the Fingbox that covers the list of wifi and ethernet connected devices and another scanned secured account and shows wifi network but it also list my wired connection devices then the worst confusion that is adding up is I paid for the premium desktop and now my phone app is showing 3 networks and I have to do customization for the 2 networks coz they don't sync and integrate.

I hope that Fing will be able to fix this SOON!

Mlbnva
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,627
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Robin, this seems to be the most voted on feature request on the threads.  Any update from Fing as to whether this will be considered for development?  And don’t think I didn’t notice that you also voted for it..  😉
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Mlbnva
    admin
    Marc said:
    Hey @Robin, this seems to be the most voted on feature request on the threads.  Any update from Fing as to whether this will be considered for development?  And don’t think I didn’t notice that you also voted for it..  😉
    Thanks Marc, Our developers has reviewed this feedback and request. Currently, there are lot of features which they are currently working on but hopefully, this suggestion might come into play as well. Currently, At this stage there is no timeframe for this.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Robin, appreciate you looking into this.
    Robin
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it's been said more then a few times, by myself and others, but until the mobile and desktop apps integrate with each other, the desktop app is really useless to me.  Integrate desktop and mobile apps and I'm almost pay for that.  :-)
    Mlbnva
  • RyTheITGuyRyTheITGuy Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    I ran the desktop app on my PC then installed on my Mac. Didn't realize this would create duplicate networks. Then I connected the iOS app and got a third network. I paid for the year subscription for the desktop app, but am thinking twice about it now. I was thinking of getting a Fingbox, too, but no way. I understand the tools do different things, but there must be a way to have them use a common database on the backend, even if they can only touch certain fields of the database.
    admin
    I ran the desktop app on my PC then installed on my Mac. Didn't realize this would create duplicate networks. Then I connected the iOS app and got a third network. I paid for the year subscription for the desktop app, but am thinking twice about it now. I was thinking of getting a Fingbox, too, but no way. I understand the tools do different things, but there must be a way to have them use a common database on the backend, even if they can only touch certain fields of the database.

To address your query, I would like to tell you that if you have Fingbox and then you install Fing desktop then, first of all, you will see multiple networks under your account. Only those networks will merge from Fing mobile app and Fing desktop which are without Fingbox.  

Also, if you are in the mobile app and then you open Fing Desktop network then names, customization will merge but not with the Fingbox network. And if you have iOS 11+ without mac address and if you run a scan from there, you will see another network w/o any mac address. If you open the network pushed by Fing desktop, you will see it but will not be able to refresh from mobile.  

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    froggie0
  • AdeAde Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Hello, just subscribed to Fing last night and I'm getting the above fault code N40F-N801 on my laptop, though can send emails and use internet. Ade
  • MlbnvaMlbnva Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic

I likely would buy the fing box if all this was integrated. It has baffled me since the beginning of this application why the different networks are separate and do not have an option for integration.

Especially since you started allowing an account for backup of information etc. it was a no-brainer to automatically combine Wi-Fi networks etc. into one account as an option. Why this hasn't been done yet escapes me. This is one reason I have not bought one of the boxes yet.

The priorities for what is being developed right now doesn't seem to be aligned with what the users want.

• FelixishimFelixishim Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    for real, what the hell, the early king adopter got screwed over with this update now that all the old function are gone from the app which used to be FREE!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Felixishim, what function was removed from the fingapp and Fingbox since the early days?  Keep in mind the Fing Desktop is a separate product from the mobile app.  When Fing came out, there was no desktop app in production.  In actuality, its gained quite a number if new features over the years.
    ✭✭✭
    Ade said:
    Hello, just subscribed to Fing last night and I'm getting the above fault code N40F-N801 on my laptop, though can send emails and use internet. Ade
    @Ade, you may want to look at this thread:
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/4563/fing-claims-not-connected-to-internet-gateway-is-not-healthy-yet-here-i-am
  • RicardoPassRicardoPass Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    Robin said:

To address your query, I would like to tell you that if you have Fingbox and then you install Fing desktop then, first of all, you will see multiple networks under your account. Only those networks will merge from Fing mobile app and Fing desktop which are without Fingbox.  

Also, if you are in the mobile app and then you open Fing Desktop network then names, customization will merge but not with the Fingbox network. And if you have iOS 11+ without mac address and if you run a scan from there, you will see another network w/o any mac address. If you open the network pushed by Fing desktop, you will see it but will not be able to refresh from mobile.  

I've been trying to parse this statement for quite awhile now and I just don't think I get it.
    Is it saying that the Fingbox network simply isn't visible in the Desktop app - yet?
    If so, that's a bummer - feels like support for the paid hardware should have been part of the basic 2.0 launch - especially if it's in the web app...
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you got it.  Anything discovered by the Fingbox will not appear on the desktop app and vice versa.  If your using the Fingapp without a Fingbox (A very plausible scenario), then the desktop and Fingapp networks would merge.
    Robin
  • KenDKenD Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with others, ran the desktop app on my Mac for a month or so but decided to un-install it as it didn't feel like it was providing the same user experience as the mobile version.
    StephenH
  • KayJayKayJay Member, Beta Tester Posts: 38
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, has anyone else noticed that the Fing Desktop app will periodically lose your network and "discover" a new one?  All of your customizations to the devices are also lost as a result of this.  Is there any way to get the original network back?  I haven't been able to see a list of networks in the desktop app at all on my Mac.  Today when I did the update to the latest version (2.2.1), I lost my network again and it "discovered" it as a new network.  Lost all of my device customizations as well.  That's just a little frustrating.  How do we avoid that from happening?
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been running the desktop on my Mac, latest and greatest macOS (not beta), I have not seen that behavior.  @KayJay, your issue might warrant a thread of its own if you see this behavior from time to time.
  • AlexHKAlexHK Member Posts: 4
    Photogenic First Comment
    I have a couple of Fingboxes on the way (from Amazon) and thought I'd get started with Fingbox for Windows. Now that I read this thread, I am kind of disappointed already before I have my Fingboxes in hand.
    It was kind of obvious that it doesn't make a lot of sense to have separate Networks/Databases for Fingbox, Fing Desktop and Fing App, but apparently the developers didn't think that would make sense (or had subscription dollars in mind, I just don't know). Now, of course, I will stop using Fing Deskop and depending on the performance of the the Fingboxes (if features which are available in Fing Desktop or for subscription dollars only) I might even return them.
    It just puzzles my mind why one would create separate networks/databases for the app, desktop and the fingox.
    I am not completely new to Fing, I followed your developments for years but until now just never had the need for the boxes. And now that I do and ordered them, you start separating products :/