How to block neighborhood kids from accessing Samsung TV?

allenallen Member Posts: 6
First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
Every few days, a permission box pops up on my Samsung UN65RU7100FXZA TV.  It identifies a "user" with various names ("pokalyps", "deadman", etc.) and asks permission to give them access to the TV. I rarely get to the remote in time to deny it, although I assume that by not responding I'm denying access.

Is there any way to prevent my TV from being so easily visible? I don't know what wireless mode is being used (WiFi, Bluetooth, remote-controller protocol?), and the TV seems to have no way to turn off wireless. If I turn off the wired LAN connection, then it enables WiFi without any provision to turn it off. When the Wired LAN is connected, then it appears to not use WiFi, but I can't confirm that. I have it blocked in my router now, but the intrusions are still coming in.

I'm trying to get info from Samsung, but their defenses are thus far impenetrable.

Any clues as to how to render the TV invisible to the world would be much appreciated.
JAMES0_0MENDEZ

Answers

• JAMES0_0MENDEZJAMES0_0MENDEZ Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Hey,
    I have had the same issue before with family trying to connect to my Samsung TV. When or if you were to give them access( the neighbors) It will then ask for a code which then needs to be put into the device they are trying to connect with.  But The way to prevent that from happening is with the  firewall policies in your network router.You can  any ncoming connections to it. (You can’t block OUTGOING connections; that would stop all the smart features from working.) Find out the IP address of your TV, either from the TV itself (if it has any provision for that) or by looking at the list of connections on your router. Then change the firewall policies to prohibit any inbound connections to that address. If you are using DHCP to assign addresses, as most home networks do, you may have to redo that once in a while because your TV’s address could change, but under normal circumstances that will not happen. Hope this helps if not I will gladly explain.
  • allenallen Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have Access Control enabled in my router, and the Samsung TV is blocked. But Fingbox sees it when it's powered on, and so does GlassWire. So being blocked in the ACL doesn't prevent a device from obtaining an IP address. Beyond the ACL, I don't see any other firewall settings in the router admin.

Meanwhile, if I unplug the TV from the wired LAN, that just makes it switch over to WiFi, and the TV has no option to disable it.

I guess one basic question is -- what device is being used to connect to the TV? My guess is that it's a smart phone. If so, then I'd also guess it's finding the TV listed as a nearby access point. Is this what you think is happening?

First Comment
    Some devices aren't able to connect to your TV. I don't know if this is WiFi/LAN or is it Bluetooth Because I know of many TV's that do use Bluetooth. If you were to switch over to WiFi and go through you admin router and perm block the device that might work If not It could be a Bluetooth issue.
    I'll try that. Although it may indeed be Bluetooth, if the kids are just trying to mess with the TV (and not watch programs). There is also some web chatter that this same permission request (without the creative names) is generated erroneously by an Android Facebook app! So it's probably WiFi.

I'll see what happens when I switch the TV to WiFi and then block the WiFi (instead of blocking the wired IP). Or I might take the back off the TV and find the WiFi antenna ... <g>

Thanks for the input.

JAMES0_0MENDEZ
    First Comment
    Yah anytime!
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 272
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting.  I installed a U8000 over the weekend but I haven't seen any erroneous popups yet.
    JAMES0_0MENDEZ