Fing 2.0 desktop app on MacOS is not working

ChuckWhiteChuckWhite Member Posts: 36
10 Comments Photogenic
The Fing 2.0 app on MacOS 10.15.5 is no longer working. The app screen is blank. Reload and Force Reload does nothing. The iOS app on my iPad and iPhone work. On the Web, Fing showed my new printer and my Apple Watch as blocked, but the local apps don't. I am losing trust in Fing since I am getting inconsistent results.

Best Answers

• ChuckWhiteChuckWhite Member Posts: 36
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Accepted Answer

Here are the results of the commands. I got exactly the same results after deleting and reinstalling the app.

Chucks-MBP:~ chuckwhite$ /usr/bin/pgrep fingagent 

Chucks-MBP:~ chuckwhite$ 

Chucks-MBP:~ chuckwhite$ sudo lsof -nP -iTCP:48080 -sTCP:LISTEN 

Password:

lsof: WARNING: can't stat() apfs file system /Volumes/com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots/Backups.backupdb/Chuck’s MacBook Pro/2020-07-13-160749/Macintosh HD - Data

Output information may be incomplete.

assuming "dev=31000026" from mount table

COMMAND    PID USER   FD   TYPE           DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME

fingagent  157 root   13u  IPv4 0xd85fc425a2796b      0t0  TCP 127.0.0.1:48080 (LISTEN)

fingagent 6430 root   13u  IPv4 0xd85fc425a2796b      0t0  TCP 127.0.0.1:48080 (LISTEN)

=================================

Here is what the app window look like.

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,760
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks @White
    Can you please run these commands now and then reboot the MacBook and check if the issue persists?
    Command 1: sudo kill -9 157

Command 2: sudo kill -9 6430

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Accepted Answer
    I repeated the terminal commands you gave me earlier, and while I was doing that, I got an update to the app. After accepting the update and running the term commands, it is working again.   
    Ciaran

Answers

admin
    Hi @White
    Can you please share the screenshot of the error? Have you tried to uninstall and re-install the Fing desktop and please make sure to install the Fing desktop under Applications folder only.  Also, To address the blank screen, Can you please follow these commands on the terminal and let me know of the result? 
    • Command 1: /usr/bin/pgrep fingagent 

• Command 2: sudo lsof -nP -iTCP:48080 -sTCP:LISTEN 

On running the 2nd command, it will ask for a password and you need to enter the login password of your MacBook 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    10 Comments Photogenic
    After the first command I got a system message that Fing installer needed permission to do something, didn't document what it was.
    The second command responded no such process. 
    10 Comments Photogenic
    This issue has returned after taking the above steps. Which I will repeat, but frustrated that something that is supposed to keep my networking running smoothly has issues. 
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Repeated the above steps and here is the terminal response:

Chucks-MBP:~ chuckwhite$ sudo kill -9 157

Password:

Chucks-MBP:~ chuckwhite$ sudo kill -9 6430

kill: 6430: No such process

Chucks-MBP:~ chuckwhite$  /usr/bin/pgrep fingagent 

Chucks-MBP:~ chuckwhite$ sudo lsof -nP -iTCP:48080 -sTCP:LISTEN 

COMMAND     PID USER   FD   TYPE             DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME

fingagent 18219 root   11u  IPv4 0x564f8ad19441b183      0t0  TCP 127.0.0.1:48080 (LISTEN)

Chucks-MBP:~ chuckwhite$ 

==================

This resolved the problem but will I have to do this every time my system reboots? 

admin
    Thanks @White
    No, you don't need to do that everytime. If you still face the trouble again, please let me know so I can investigate further. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Fing has stopped working again. I've quit the app on my MacBook Pro, restarted it and it comes back with a blank window. Learning not to trust your app.
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Seems like the desktop app is not working again. While the screen is not blank, there is no network information. See the screen cap below. When I try and ping google.com for example, nothing happens. I closed the app and restarted it but it did not make any difference. The iOS app is working fine.
    Not very happy.
    admin
    White said:
    Seems like the desktop app is not working again. While the screen is not blank, there is no network information. See the screen cap below. When I try and ping google.com for example, nothing happens. I closed the app and restarted it but it did not make any difference. The iOS app is working fine.
    Not very happy.
    Can you check under Activity monitor if multiple Fing helpers are running. If yes, then please disable both Fing helpers and quit the Fing desktop and then reboot device and start Fing desktop to run the scan. Also, sometimes the permissions needed for the application in MacOS gets revoked. If this happens to you, you can remedy this in System Preferences > Security and Privacy. Be sure to have Fing Desktop turned on (check off the box) in the "Full Disk Access" and "Files and Folders" sections.  
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    There were two running. Why is this? I stopped both of them, closed the desktop App and rebooted my Mac. After the reboot I have to Fing Helper processes running. The App window is correct now. I checked the Full Disk Access box per your instructions.
    How do I know that these issues are not the result of someone attacking my machine and disabling Fing? I mean it's incredibly unlikely but with the issues I have been having with your app over the past couple months, I don't have much faith that it is really doing its job, and I see no reason to pay for the premium version.

admin
    Hi @White
    I am not sure why there were two Fing helpers running. It may be due to you tried to open Fing desktop multiple times or it got struck while updating to new version. 
    Fing Desktop was released on a ‘Freemium’ basis, i.e. it is free of charge, but a premium is charged for additional features, services, tools etc. that expand the functionality of the free version of the software.

Fing Desktop still does have free features that can be used, some of these have limited daily credit’s however. Once the credits run out for that particular feature, you will have to wait for the following day to get more credits, or subscribe to Fing Desktop Premium.

Credits cannot be accumulated, i.e. they will reset each day.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I'll keep an eye on things over the next couple days but at least I know how to resolve it if the issue appears again. I always see two instances of Fing Helper even after rebooting and insuring that Fing is not listed in the Login Items but I start it manually.
    Robin
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Checked just now and it stopped operating. Got the screen with no information. Exited and restarted Fing and same results.
    admin
    edited August 2020
    Hi @White
    I have sent you a private message as I need more information to investigate. Please reply to my message directly. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Where did you send the message? I don't see anything in my Inbox here nor a text message.

Thanks,

Chuck
    admin
    White said:
    Where did you send the message? I don't see anything in my Inbox here nor a text message.

I have sent you a private mail on your community registered email address. Can you check your inbox? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic

I have gotten notification emails of these posts so that email address is working ok. Can you check the spelling?

10 Comments Photogenic
    I just checked my spam mail box and there is nothing there. 
    Can you privately message me here on Fing?
    admin
    White said:
    I just checked my spam mail box and there is nothing there. 
    Can you privately message me here on Fing?
    I have sent you a DM now. Please check. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)