Fingbox protection on network with two SSID, one for 2.4GHz and different for 5GHz

JardaSJardaS Member Posts: 2
Photogenic First Comment
edited August 2020 in Fingbox
Hello,
I'm using FingBox v1, I have ordered one already during Indiegogo campaign and still I am very happy user of it :smile: Some time ago I have received notice about availability of FingBox v2, with 5GHz support. I'm thinking now about extending protection also to 5 GHz network - based on https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/fingbox-v2-faqs/ there is stated, that FingBox is able to protect both 2.4GHz and 5 GHz network, but elsewhere in FAQ there was notice about support only one SSID per FingBox.
In my home network, base on wrong previous experience, I'm using separate SSID for each frequency, but both WiFis are bridged to one VLAN, to one router. 
Now my question(s). If I will order new FingBox, will it be able to perform WiFi protection both on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network even in this setup? Or is it needed to add second FingBox to same network, under different SSID (a litle bit expensive solution for two AP home network)? And is dual FingBox setup per network also supported? I can imagine, that this can possibly result in unexpected behaviour - two FingBoxes will try to do "arp poisoning" for internet access blocking, both will try to block access to network on 2.4 GHz etc. What will be the best solution? Move to one SSID is of course the solution, but very much not preferred.

Thanx in advance, have a nice day
     Jarda S.

Answers

• Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 273
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    JardaS.  The new Fingbox (v2) will cover both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network if both are on the same vlan.  Unfortunately Fing will only discover and work on one vlan, so if your 2.4 and 5 band networks use separate vlans then one FIngbox won't work.

As for dual Fingboxes, I can't answer that as I only have 1 installed.
    Robin
  • JardaSJardaS Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited August 2020
    @Lee_Bo, thanx for your answer. I have both WiFi networks bridged to one VLAN, but as I understood, protection for example against "Evil Twin Attack" must work on level of SSID (WiFi protection), not on VLAN level (ethernet level protection). If I'm using different SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, seems to me, that I have to choose, which SSID should be protected and second one will be unprotected. Do I understand correctly, that it is planned behaviour? Is there recommended setup for Fing controlled network with dual/multiple SSID setup?

Thanx, have a nice day Jarda