How can I suppress "Facebook cannot be reached" alert once and forever?

SchakalSchakal Member Posts: 4
First Comment Photogenic
edited August 2020 in Fing Desktop
Hello!
Is there any way to get rid of this alert? I don't want fb to be available and have manually locked it on DNS level. So I would be happy to never see this alert again.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,069
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks @Marc @Schakal
    The option to disable any website check has already been submitted to our dev team and soon it might be reviewed for future versions. Currently, there are a lot of updates that our developers are working on to add it to Fing desktop and Fing mobile app as well. But I will definitely add this feedback to that suggestion. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    MarcSchakal

Answers

• Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 273
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Where are you seeing this message, and why are you blocking FB (work or personal)?  Personally, I'd just turn wifi off and use LTE.  :-)
  • SchakalSchakal Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic
    Lee_Bo said:
    Where are you seeing this message
    That's how it looks:

There's a "Mute" button available as well, but it only dismisses this alert once for it to raise again on reconnect.
    Lee_Bo said:
    why are you blocking FB (work or personal)?
    I tried Pi-Hole and had found that many smartphone apps were sending something to FB. Mostly to graph.facebook.com, but not only there. I don't want it to happen. I don't use FB and there's nothing I want to share with them.
    Lee_Bo said:
    Personally, I'd just turn wifi off and use LTE.  :-)
    It's easier to uninstall Fing Desktop at all, result is the same, isn't it? Or maybe I don't understand an idea. Anyway I don't have a modem inside my laptop.

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,298
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin, is there any plans on offering the ability to lock out one of the default web sites for connectivity testing?  This is not the first request seen for this.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Schakal
    First Comment Photogenic

Well at least it's now clear that this feature is not implemented yet. Thank you. Maybe as a first step you would remove FB from connectivity tests in your code? It's not the place that most of users aware of, I believe.

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,298
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think removing it from the code is the answer.  More people then not use facebook, for better or worse.  I think it would be better to allow someone to disable the check per web site.  The premium edition allows you to add more web sites for checking but still will not allow removal of them.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Schakal
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited August 2020
    Marc said:
    I think it would be better to allow someone to disable the check per web site.
    Yes, it would the best. Even better if it will still be a free edition option as well :) I just suggested the "1st step" as it seems to be easier to implement in short terms.
    Marc