How do I delete old networks from the App?

pwmeekpwmeek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 138
100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
✭✭✭
I have tried to delete old networks (old house network with many connected smarthouse devices which I no longer own) from the Fing App. In the network list I swipe left and press Delete, but just get a message at the bottom of the screen: "Failed to remove from Account". What am I doing wrong?
--Pete
Bon Vivant and Raconteur
cam20

Best Answer

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @pwmeek
    Could you try deleting these networks form the web app following these steps and let me know how you get on and report back on this thread?
    To delete the network from the web app, please follow the steps:  

1) Sign in to the web app: app.fing.com 

2) On the Top left corner, click on the 'Fing' icon that will bring up the list of your networks. 

3) Please Click on the Network you want to delete and then on the top right corner, click on the 'Settings' and then you will see a list of options. 

4) Please click on the Delete this Network and then confirm 'Delete'. 

5) Go to Account Settings, then go to 'Account Storage' and then click on 'Synchronize' and then restart the phone. 

Let me know how that works, and otherwise we may need to check into your account further. 
    Once you do that, you should be able to delete from your account again. Let me know how you get on! 
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/977/failed-to-remove-from-account

Community Manager at Fing

pwmeektouriga

Answers

• pwmeekpwmeek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 138
    ✭✭✭
    That  worked.

My problem was trying to do it from the IOS App. If the App can't delete a network, then it shouldn't have a procedure that looks like it could delete a network. Swiping left on the network name in the list of networks should not bring up a Delete Network option, but instruct the user to use the web interface to delete networks. At the very least, the failure message should advise the user to do network deletions via the app.fing.com website. Should I request this as a feature/change?
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @pwmeek
    I think some accounts had a synchro issue - which gets resolved by going and doing from the web app.
    Could you update this thread on whether you are now able to DELETE networks from the app moving forward?
    I'm curious to know if now, since visiting the web app and deleting, you are now able to delete from the Fing app?

• pwmeekpwmeek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 138
    ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I see. This is not generally the case that deleting a network from the App is impossible.

Next time I'm out somewhere with a public network I'll join, scan, and try to delete it from the IOS App.
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot @pwmeek I'm keen to know! 

• AlekosCYAlekosCY Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    Also from my side. I get on the IOS app "Failed to remove from Account". The netyworks do not appear when I log in app.fing.com
    They appear only in the IOS app and can not be deleted.
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,081
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    AlekosCY said:
    Also from my side. I get on the IOS app "Failed to remove from Account". The netyworks do not appear when I log in app.fing.com
    They appear only in the IOS app and can not be deleted.
    Which version of the Fing App are you using?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • tourigatouriga Member Posts: 31
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @pwmeek
    Could you try deleting these networks form the web app following these steps and let me know how you get on and report back on this thread?
    To delete the network from the web app, please follow the steps:  

1) Sign in to the web app: app.fing.com 

2) On the Top left corner, click on the 'Fing' icon that will bring up the list of your networks. 

3) Please Click on the Network you want to delete and then on the top right corner, click on the 'Settings' and then you will see a list of options. 

4) Please click on the Delete this Network and then confirm 'Delete'. 

5) Go to Account Settings, then go to 'Account Storage' and then click on 'Synchronize' and then restart the phone. 

Let me know how that works, and otherwise we may need to check into your account further. 
    Once you do that, you should be able to delete from your account again. Let me know how you get on! 
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/977/failed-to-remove-from-account
    Deleting from the web app was fine.  The problem for me was deleting in the App.  Turns out sync had got itself in a twist, but managed to unjam it eventually.  Thank you
  • tourigatouriga Member Posts: 31
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @pwmeek

Deleting from the web app was fine.  The problem for me was deleting in the App.  Turns out sync had got itself in a twist. as soon as I sorted that out I could delete the network.
    Thanks
    Robin