Is it normal that after changing the channel on the Wifi network.. this will cause a new network to

SmittyDidITSmittyDidIT Member Posts: 1
Photogenic
Hi,
I ran the Fing Wifi analyzer and updated the Wifi Channel in an attempt to optimize the local home wifi connectivity signal.
After doing this and reconnecting the same wifi network (yet with a different channel)  Fing started to interpret that I'm on a new network... asking context and losing all device-specific edits (yes I own this and placement and friendly names) 
Anyone any similar observations?
Cheers,
Peter

Comments

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,785
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @SmittyDidIT
    Thanks for your post. I haven't come across such a scenario while changing channels. Are you using any VPN or firewall or Mesh network?
    Any further advice @Marc @kltaylor @Pixelpopper
    Thanks 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    SmittyDidIT
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,172
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've changed the channels from time to time on Fing's mobile app and never had an issue.  With the Fing desktop I have never done this while using it.  if I get a chance tonight I can give it a try and get back to this thread with my results.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    SmittyDidIT
  • PixelpopperPixelpopper Moderator Posts: 130
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @SmittyDidIT
    I have changed channels many times and have not experienced to problem you are experiencing, however, that situation will arise if you inadvertently change the SSID or split the frequency bands and allocate separate SSIDs for each one.
    SmittyDidIT
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Much like what others have said, my network manages channels automatically to help maintain a strong connection, I've never had to setup a net network because of it.
    Can you provide some more detailed information with some screenshots so we can look into this further?
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,172
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @SmittyDidIT, one thought...  do you have multiple active interfaces on that PC?  if you do, when you changed the channel, did you check to see if the desktop was still pointed to the correct interface?

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Does Fing Desktop rely on the adapter type to that extent, even if it has the same subnet?
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    SmittyDidIT