Can I automatically disable Fing on PC when using VPN?

I use VPN (Cisco AnyConnect) to connect my PC to my university. I have been blocked by our administrators because some app on my PC scans a lot the UDP/161 (SNMP) port, just like some malware. Neither of us could verify which app is doing this. But I turned off Fing (which I installed not long time ago) before connecting via VPN and suddenly there was no other complaint so far. If it is the cause, can I automatically set Fing to disable itself when using VPN? It is quite useless for me to scan the VPN network, I only need it for my home wifi. Thanks, Robert
SagerbrtzmckRobinArijiteslamsaberelmasryMillerkltaylorFAS
7 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• StefStef Member, Beta Tester Posts: 14
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi, are you using Mac or Windows?
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,745
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @rbrtzmck
    Thanks for the suggestion. As of now there is no way to automatically disable Fing Desktop but you can quit the app and disable running in background. I have made this post as an Idea and please make sure to upvote the initial post if other users want to get this implemented as well.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    DocZZZ
  • rbrtzmckrbrtzmck Member Posts: 8
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment

@Stef

Hi Stef

I use Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

Robert

• StefStef Member, Beta Tester Posts: 14
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi @rbrtzmck let me get back to you on a possible workaround 

Thanks, I am eager to read it...

Hi, I just updated to version 1.3.1 and it says that something was fixed with Business VPN. Was it the problem that I was mentioning in the beginning of this thread? Can I stop being worried when connecting to my university?

admin
    Hi @rbrtzmck
    For VPN we have improved the network discovery that Fing App is able to read the correct connection. For your query, can I automatically set Fing to disable itself when using VPN? Unfortunately, it is still not yet implemented.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • ArijitArijit Member Posts: 4
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    Hi @Robin,
    Is there any action done on this topic, i received very threatening from my office about using such scanning devices on corporate VPN. Maybe Fing Desktop App can stop scanning any network as soon as VPN connection is initiated and hope this will avoid inconvenience all other user. Its very difficult to identify the software that engages in active scanning until you are tech savy.

• MillerMiller Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment

Could it be an option to only scan registered networks? Or even better, if Fing detects a new network you get a question if you want to add it, and scan it?

admin
    Hi @Arijit
    As of now, the only option is to quit the Fing desktop from scanning the network. The suggestion has already been passed on to developers and hopefully it will be considered for future versions but as of now, there is no update. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)