Get a Blank Page on "Scan for devices"

Bruce6Bruce6 Member Posts: 4
First Comment Photogenic
I get a blank white screen when I select "scan for devices" on the Fing Desktop.  Have to exit program and reenter to get back control.  All other features work ok including "See insights".  I  switched routers to a new WiFi 6 before the problem occurred.
Bruce6

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Bruce6 welcome to the community and thanks for asking your question.
    With something like this, let's perform a complete uninstall and a clean install of the Fing Desktop application and see if you still have the problem.  Something may have happened during the update process, with a clean install we can at least rule that possibility out.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Robin
  • Bruce6Bruce6 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic
    Uninstalled and reinstalled the Fing Desktop and got the same problem on my main desktop.  I also have the app on my laptop and it has the same problem.
    Bruce6

kltaylor
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for walking through that step, @Bruce6, let's see if @Robin can assist us a bit with this one.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,706
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Bruce6
    Thanks for the feedback. In case if it is a bug impacting many users, can you put: 
    OS name / OS version, desktop version, any VPN used and message me these details privately?
    Thanks again. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    kltaylor
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi Robin
    I am using Windows 10 Home , version 1903,  Fing desktop version 1.4.1 on both my laptop an desktop computers.  no VPN
    Bruce6
    admin
    Thanks @Bruce6
    Will it be possible to record a video of the same so I can investigate further? Thanks again
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • tmorri7tmorri7 Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments Photogenic
    edited May 2020
    I have this same problem after update to 1.4.1 last week. I've uninstalled and reinstalled. Scan fails exactly the same way and I must exit and reenter app to have it perform other functions. Insights and other functions work fine.  Running Windows 10 Pro 1909. I'll attempt to video the app's behavior.

PKRyan
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Robin: I have a video with filename "fing 1.4.1.mov" from my iphone but cannot post it here "file format is not allowed. I tried posting as a file and image both NG.  How can I get it to you? 
    admin
    tmorri7 said:
    Robin: I have a video with filename "fing 1.4.1.mov" from my iphone but cannot post it here "file format is not allowed. I tried posting as a file and image both NG.  How can I get it to you? 
    If you can upload the file to google or dropbox and share the link via DM to me so I can investigate. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Robin: I just sent the dropbox link to you. Thanks
    admin
    Thanks @tmorri7
    I will check the link and take it to our developers for review. If I need something else to diagnose this, I will let you know. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Robin: "FYI" the app works on my Dell laptop that is connected to the network.... the issue is with my Dell desktop. So not urgent that I get a resolution. If you have any advice I'd appreciate it but "low priority"......I run the same software on both but I am sure there is some difference I haven't discovered yet. Thanks, (Laptop attaches to my router via wireless, desktop via ethernet cable)
    First Comment Photogenic
    Robin   The app would not boot on ether my desktop or my laptop but I solved the problem by going into Task Manager Startup and disabling Fing.  I can now boot again, but I still have the same problem of  "scan for devices" giving me a blank white page.  this problem occurred about the time i installed a new WiFi 6 router.
    admin
    Hi @tmorri7 @Bruce6

Fing agent needs the Windows libraries which are installed with the WinPcap package during FingDesktop installation, it used to make packet capture and filtering useful our engine to protocol analyzers and network monitors. 
    Fing agent service cannot work properly without the correct installation of WinPcap.  

Please open the command prompt and return the output: 

• sc query npf 

it's useful to understand if the WinPcap has been installed correctly and it is running properly. 

If possible please uninstall the older version of WinPcap and install the latest version of Win10Pcap from here and check. 

I look forward to your reply. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Robin: This is the output of command sc query npf:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>sc query npf
    SERVICE_NAME: npf
            TYPE               : 1  KERNEL_DRIVER
            STATE              : 4  RUNNING
                                    (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
            WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
            SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
            CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
            WAIT_HINT          : 0x0
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Robin: I uninstalled  WinPcap ver 4.1.3 and tried to install ver 4.1.3 from your link but it aborted (couldn't find some dll files). Advice from your original  link is to go here: https://nmap.org/npcap/  to get a more Npcap secure version. I did and installed Npcap .9991 the output of command prompt query of  npf is identical and Fing desktop app behaves the same way. 
    admin
    Hi @tmorri7
    In this case, given you have already tried it, please follow these steps:
    • Uninstall WinPcap 
    • Uninstall Fing Desktop
    • Reboot pc
    • Install last Fing Desktop release
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • chrishawnchrishawn Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited June 2020
    Same thing here on MacOS, i remember it happened after i picked some sort of column sort or view.
    Has been blank now through every upgrade.
    here is the developer view.. its obviously some bad display code, if i do a force reload i can see the screen for a second then this kicks in.

PKRyan
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Robin: I did 
    • Uninstall WinPcap 
    • Uninstall Fing Desktop
    • Reboot pc
    • Install last Fing Desktop release (1.4.1)
    After reboot App said no internet connection although speed test ran. Device scan behaved the same..blank page. I then powered down PC and unplugged Fing box. After it came up it all behaved like the original "blank page on scan". 
  • James734James734 Member Posts: 24
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited June 2020
    chrishawn said:
    Same thing here on MacOS, i remember it happened after i picked some sort of column sort or view.
    Has been blank now through every upgrade.
    here is the developer view.. its obviously some bad display code, if i do a force reload i can see the screen for a second then this kicks in.

This issue you noted is due to device type of “CAR”.  Log into your Fing account on web and change it to “GENERIC” then wait a few minutes. Then try the desktop app again. It should work now.
  • chrishawnchrishawn Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    why would i change a data setting that fing specified? seems like a bug that they should fix and make work with desktop.
  • James734James734 Member Posts: 24
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic

It is a bug and they’re aware of it as I worked with them and provided all the data to Robin in the thread I linked. If you want it to work now before fixed in code change it, if not leave it. The choice is yours. Just trying to offer you a temporary fix for the time being.

Robin
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Install of Fing 2.1.0 today fixed this for me....Previously no devices showed 
    Robin